• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Rattle from Left Front of H3

spark67

Probationary Member
Hopefully I get this correct, I just joined.

I purchased a 2008 H3 a year ago. Since then when I hit a small crack or bump in the road, even worse when making a left turn I get a rattle from the front left. The problem goes away faster the 40 MPH. I’ve replaced the ball joints with no luck. I had the front end checked and all is tight. Taken door panels off and nothing is loose. Checked under the dash, no lose wires or cables. Fenders and grill guard are tight. Any ideas?
:wf:
Spark67

mjferencak

Are you sure it’s the front left? Our I5 hummer exhaust heat shields have a bad tendency of rattling. That might be your issue if you still have your heat shield. I took mine off a few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeepwalker

I have the same noise. My heat shield above the converter was loose, but I tightened it down ...I still get the rattle. What other shield seems to be the culprit?

mjferencak

If you’re still getting a rattle it could be one of your pulleys on the front of your engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeepwalker

I'll have another look. I've fixed front diff bushings/bolts, engine mounts 'seem' ok, brake parts are tight. But yeah, there's probably another shield down under there. It might also be the pass F. wheel cover too which seems like it doesn't it particularly tight if I recall. I need to remove it off and drive around.

Thanks

rascole

I'll have another look. I've fixed front diff bushings/bolts, engine mounts 'seem' ok, brake parts are tight. But yeah, there's probably another shield down under there. It might also be the pass F. wheel cover too which seems like it doesn't it particularly tight if I recall. I need to remove it off and drive around.

Thanks
Don't be deceived by just looking at it. I just replaced my engine mounts. They looked just fine until I pulled them off, almost completely torn through. I also had the center bolt on the front diff come loose and you can't tell unless you move it around. Lastly the aluminum heat shields rattle but usually whenever they want, not just left turns.

Jeepwalker

Hmmm. Ok. That may be worth a better look (engine mounts). Thanks for the advice.

I did some work on the front diff so I know the yoke and nut are tight. All good thoughts though

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I'd take a BFH/dead blow hammer and start hitting components. If you can recreate the sound at parking lot speeds, have someone drive your H3 and walk along side it.