• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

‘92 H1 shifter issue

denisegold

Just noticed at certain times my drive shifter rattles? Could I have something loose down below? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

denisegold

Also, if I turn ignition I hear clicks but nothing cranks. I think maybe the safety switch or something is loose and shifter not seating properly.

denisegold

Tried to start today and nothing. I even put it in neutral and still nothing? Strange....

Anyone??

LagunaH1

Hmm..... could certainly be the neutral safety switch.... Could you perhaps shoot a quick video of *how* it rattles and post that? -H1's can be cantankerous, rattle and make all sorts of odd noises.

How loose is the shifter? Can you move it sideways easily? How much does it move when it's in D, 2 or 1?

I think we need a bit more detail.... :)

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will have to crawl underneath the 92. Seems like there is a retainer spring that holds the shifter lever in place that may have stretched or fallen off. ( I my be thinking about my Ferret. ) The clicks could be the lift pump priming the injection pump but I think on the older H1s they run at the end of the cycle not when you turn the key and wait for the glow plug to warm up. As far as nothing when you turn the key I would check the ground wires first. I assume that you have good batteries, cables are tight and not corroded, etc

denisegold

Hmm..... could certainly be the neutral safety switch.... Could you perhaps shoot a quick video of *how* it rattles and post that? -H1's can be cantankerous, rattle and make all sorts of odd noises.

How loose is the shifter? Can you move it sideways easily? How much does it move when it's in D, 2 or 1?

I think we need a bit more detail.... :)

Sadly I cannot shoot video of the rattling because I can’t get it to start. There is sideways movement when in drive which is what lead me to believe something had come loose. The noise with the shifter is new as is the looseness.

denisegold

I will have to crawl underneath the 92. Seems like there is a retainer spring that holds the shifter lever in place that may have stretched or fallen off. ( I my be thinking about my Ferret. ) The clicks could be the lift pump priming the injection pump but I think on the older H1s they run at the end of the cycle not when you turn the key and wait for the glow plug to warm up. As far as nothing when you turn the key I would check the ground wires first. I assume that you have good batteries, cables are tight and not corroded, etc

I will be looking at wiring over the next day.