• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Wow! Starting looking at trucks tonight!!! Sh!t lol

Happy Hummer

If you've not recently priced trucks wow!
Very expensive!!! We did not see a single new pickup (1500 class 4x4) for under 40k. Not even stripped work tradesman's style.
Not counting mid size of course. They can be had from Nissan for about 30-40k. Tacoma lol way to much.
The new gladiator is stupid expensive. My honey works at a Jeep dealer and we priced em and they are just crazy.

Moral of this thread take really good care of your H3 or (t) because replacement will be hard in current climate.
While I'm on the subject of H3 they to are stupid priced in the Milwaukee and Chicago area with decent milage and maintenance records.

And I'm not talking yesterday's by and by memories.... I bought mine in 2011 used for 25k (ish) with 49k miles approximately.
I'm seeing 07, 08's going for 15-17k with 100-150k miles.

I was telling my sweetheart that it has gotten to the point where the working business man can't afford to purchase a new truck.
Oh, used were 2012-2016. Pricing started for low(ish) (50k+) miles 25-32k.:whaa: This by the way is salt belt trucks with a bit of rust rash.

Jeepwalker

That's almost a carbon copy of an email I sent to my buddy when I started truck shopping about 2 yrs ago!! Ha, ha.

Because of the high price, a vast amt of people finance ...only now the payments are stretched to 72 months. Buyers who are cash oriented (or look at the 'overall cost') get sticker-shocked, but most buyers are primarily focused on the monthly payments.

Regardless, you're in a good position because the new generation of trucks out are really good! What were some of the things you noticed (besides price) with the new models that surprised you?

I'm not getting rid of my H3 either. There are lots of them out there. If you're from WI, look at the FL websites. They're cheap down there and you can have a warm winter vacation to boot!!!

Exodus

Earlier this year i decided to get into a newer vehicle also [ i am hardly ever home so buying new is incredibly stupid for me]
wanted either a ford or dodge ram,but every one of them was 10k with close to 200k miles ,,nope no way no how,looked at the toyota FJ omfg those are stupid crazy spendy
i just happened to stumble across my H3 @ 99k for 10k ,,couldn't pass on that
btw,,i am in Alaska

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Eh, I got my 2015 Silverado in 2016 for 38k and that wasnt a base model either. Prices may have gone up since then but you can find 2018s and what not less than 40k. Had a buddy who was looking at a 2018 Silverado for 31k ish.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Happy Hummer

Wow, I wish we had those prices. Yesterday we went and looked at the dealership in South Milwaukee and they had poor selection to say the least but it was $38k for a mid size Nissan frontier. A 4x2 was $26k.
The prices in the metro area are breath taking lol!
I was really bummed.
Titans were in the stratosphere.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I've heard bad things about the titans, especially the Cummins version, considering theyre pulling the plug on them.

I have a Silverado, it has the chevy shakes, heard some have it bad too. The 2019 and up I've heard ride like crap and are behind the ball compared to ford/dodge in terms of amenities and quality. I know dodge's have had their quality control issues in the past but I think they are getting ahead of that curve? I'd strongly consider one if I were to replace my '15.

Not sure about fords though.

Toyotas need a strong refresh/remodel, way overpriced for what you're getting, especially the tundra imo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I got lucky on my purchase. I gave up because I couldn't find what I wanted at a price I was willing to pay. Got on Autotrader and found one with 5000 miles on it right at the price I was willing to pay. Like 3Hummers said, just took some shopping to get it done. Also, I don't need to tow a house, or a neighborhood, like 3Hummers can.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Had a '13 and '15 Silverado and now GMC and never, I say NEVER had any shakes due to the vehicle. The '13 and current GMC were equipped with 20" tires, the '15 had 18" tires. And all were or currently are driven at speeds up to 80+ on the interstates (legal here). I did have a some shaking a few months ago, but it was solved with a four wheel balance and alignment.

Last time I had a shaking problem was when living in Moab and traveled back to MI and basically from MO to MI and back to MO, I had shakes caused by the nasty road conditions.

RAMs have turned into some great looking trucks (all subjective), but a good friend has a 17 and it ha spent more time in a Chrysler dealer in GJ CO than is acceptable. One trans, one rear diff, two items that died too early. Hopefully, they are getting better.
If I was to replace my GMC in the future, Ford would be very high on the list. If they ever get around to redesign the Tundra, I would give it a serious look too.

If I was going for a smaller truck; a Tacoma would be in my drive. If a bigger truck, the new Ford 2500 with the 7.3L GAS ENGINE.

Mr_Rich

I sold my home in April. There were changes I had to make and I knew it was coming once I reached 65; down-sizing. My 3T was great with home life, but didn't really fit in with plans for a new transient RV life-style. I was eye-ing a Dodge Ram for a couple of months and it was still available after the house sale finalized. I do miss my garage but not the other hassles I had. I have a 2018 Dodge Ram 2500HD 4X4 6.4L R/C. So far I have almost 10K miles and I'm very pleased with it. I'm amazed that it gets as good of gas mileage as it does for the big gas engine. I travel between the Central Coast and the high desert around V'ville and get around 16 mpg; and those are similar to 3T numbers. I still love the 3T for a few of those nagging faults. I hope to be visiting neighboring states soon when the temps cool down.

MilamJR

I sold my home in April. There were changes I had to make and I knew it was coming once I reached 65; down-sizing. My 3T was great with home life, but didn't really fit in with plans for a new transient RV life-style. I was eye-ing a Dodge Ram for a couple of months and it was still available after the house sale finalized. I do miss my garage but not the other hassles I had. I have a 2018 Dodge Ram 2500HD 4X4 6.4L R/C. So far I have almost 10K miles and I'm very pleased with it. I'm amazed that it gets as good of gas mileage as it does for the big gas engine. I travel between the Central Coast and the high desert around V'ville and get around 16 mpg; and those are similar to 3T numbers. I still love the 3T for a few of those nagging faults. I hope to be visiting neighboring states soon when the temps cool down.

4b989fdc468cf1873dcb5ac6a2043d00.jpg

Assuming you are pulling a trailer but with a Motorhome you could pull the Hummer. Been pulling my H2 for 15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

OP: CgAlpha08 made a great point.

A lot of trucks listed at, say, $49-$55 are often bought at like $39, 38-ish ..in that range. And more basic trucks for even less. Especially Rams. If you check the Ram Forum, you'll discover that a lot of guys (Ford and Chevy guys) are buying them at $10k+ off the list price of their trucks. There's a theory by some of the more business-saavy truck buyers on the Ram Forum who've been watching this for a while, that FCA is (and has been) 'buying market share' as a strategy one deal at a time, by making agressive deals and accepting a little less profit than GM or Ford (who seem less willing to wheel and deal) ..they've been stealing market share from the competition. And it seems to be working. Of course Ram has a great truck package too.

Anyway, it's something to consider. If you're not opposed to buying new, you're almost better off buying new. My experience has been that you'll still pay almost half the price of new for a truck with 100k mi. almost like a sliding scale. That's pretty much what you found out too it sounds like. I managed to find a good deal on a '12 Ram with 150k mi, regular cab 4x4 hemi, tow pkg, etc. But that's the package I was looking for anyway (except the high miles). I really love the Ram pkg even though I was looking hard for a GM truck. The ram pkg pleasantly surprised me ..and still does. This was a few years ago, Now there are all new products out there and the new GM's fixed a lot of owner complaints it seems, and has a great-looking package. My only concern is newer full-sized trucks keep getting larger, almost more truck than I need.

Wait till the end of the month, shop multiple dealers and see who can sharpen their pencils the most for you.

Last edited:

MilamJR

I have a 2008 F-250 4x4. I bought it new on 8/1/08 when diesel was $4.50/gallon. They had a whole line of them and could not wait to get rid of one. I don’t see fuel prices spiking like that again anytime soon but when fuel prices do go up it creates a buying opportunity for the less fuel efficient vehicles like trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk