• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Power steering replacement suggestions.

rascole

I am looking to replace the steering rack and pump. Other then new AC Delco parts, are there other quality parts you recommend? AC Delco reman, Cardone, Sitco, BBS????
AC Delco 25932019
AC Delco 25957397

Ghostbuster

I’d go Acdelco new or reman.

I heard a long time ago some guy supposedly had a power steering rack from a Chevy Silverado 2500.

No clue if he ever showed proof or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I put on an O'Reilly PS pump a couple of years ago right before a 5500 mile trip. It lasted 5400 miles. I returned it, got my cash back and went AC Delco.

Jeepwalker

Don't forget to inspect your vehicle's intermediate shaft. That's the shaft between the lower steering column and the steering rack. It's often overlooked and blame usually gets put on other more visible steering parts. The U-joints on it are quite small and can wear. Plus, I think there might be a rag-joint and slip joint as well, all of which can wear just a little. Just a micro-amount of wear there can translate into 1/2" or more of free-play at the steering wheel making it feel sloppy even if the rest of the steering parts are tight. One thing that wears them out quick are owners who crank on the steering while the vehicle is not running (no power steering). That puts a great amt of stress on those pieces. In general you can save a lot of steering wear by not doing that.

A good way to check it is to tightly clamp a Vice Grip pliers around the lower section of the intermediate shaft where it joins the steering rack. Get a block in there ...and basically strap it (ratchet strap or tightly rope it) to the frame or something solid. Then go check your steering wheel. If you feel any movement, then you know it's between the wheel and the rack. Most likely the intermediate shaft and probably any flexible couplers ...but could also be at slip joints or U-joints (or all). It's not an uncommon issue. You can buy replecements. Also check for looseness at the bottom of the steering column (the bushing there). Again, a little play in these areas translates into steering slop.

Last edited:

amrg

I’d go Acdelco new or reman.

I heard a long time ago some guy supposedly had a power steering rack from a Chevy Silverado 2500.

No clue if he ever showed proof or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that guy never showed it even after being pushed to do so.
I recall on bebes build thread they showed the difference between an H3 rack and a 2500 rack, iirc the latter was 4-6" longer and wouldnt work in a stock H3 due to different geometry.

atvspeed4

Yeah that guy never showed it even after being pushed to do so.
I recall on bebes build thread they showed the difference between an H3 rack and a 2500 rack, iirc the latter was 4-6" longer and wouldnt work in a stock H3 due to different geometry.
Also, 2500 never came with steering rack, even in 2wd configuration. It's a 1500 rack despite what typo says. It is wider so you would have to fabricate new control arm mounts that move the pivot points out to align with pivot point of inner tierods.

Wasn't the guy that said that he installed the steering rack the same one that "installed" a trutrac in a stock front diff but never posted a picture and said it was "so" terrible his mechanic took it out right away...lol what a joke.