• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Why did GM make the H3='Full time' 4wd & not the auto 4wd like on other Trucks/SUV's?

scoreh3

True story
when I asked the salesman that , he said because it’s a Hummer and it always ready for anything. I guess the other GM 4X4’s aren’t that prepared.

Jeepwalker

...it was sold as a full time 4x4 system; so all who purchased it knew what it.

That's probably a good reason. SUVs were going that direction anyway. Land Rovers have always been full time. So have a lot of Grand Cherokees. A lot of mainstream buyers these days just don't understand how to operate traditional 4wd systems. GM probably gets a lot of blow-back from the northern mall-prowling customers that when they needed 4x4 they didn't have it, and they ended up getting in the ditch or accident. When you're in snow or heading into sand, if ya start slipping, the act of losing momentum (shifting into 4wd) can be enough to make your vehicle 'stuck'. At the end of the day, GM has to cater to the folks who will actually buy the vehicle. ....buy it tomorrow and happily make payments for 5 years. If having Full-Time 4x4 makes ladies feel it's a better option, they're getting more for their money, and sell more vehicles, that what they gotta do. I wonder if it would be a shade cheaper to make a vehicle full-time??

But on the other hand, H3 designers claim they were squarely looking at the Jeep Rubicon as competion which I think can select 4wd modes ..so that doesn't support the argument.

Last edited:

bigwilliedw01

Why did GM make the H3=Full time 4wd & not the auto 4wd found on other full size GM trucks/SUVs?
The entire Hummer lineup is supposed to be based upon the original HMMWV (however loosely), which is full time 4wd.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

ski.dive

I still love my H3, BUT....I wish the H3 had the auto 4wd found on other full size GM trucks/SUVs?
Most people don't go 'off-road' everyday!!!
***I do not need the 'full time 4x4' when driving in pavement in MIAMI====Again...Most people don't 'off-road' everyday!!!

Korby7

I agree with you. I do like the AWD but sometimes I wish I just power to the rear tires. Makes sand, snow and dirt roads more fun. It is what it is.

Lauren

I still love my H3, BUT....I wish the H3 had the auto 4wd found on other full size GM trucks/SUVs?
Most people don't go 'off-road' everyday!!!
***I do not need the 'full time 4x4' when driving in pavement in MIAMI====Again...Most people don't 'off-road' everyday!!!

I guess it just depends where you live...
Over here, it just makes life easier as I kinda do go a little "off road" everyday..

Examples:
-- I have a friend and her villa is down like a narrow gravel road, at the end of the road is sand that goes around the back to the more main road.. so when leaving her place it's easier to drive through the sand. Obviously because the 4x4 is always on I just drive straight through it like its still the road.. she drives a F150 and we have to sit and wait for her to shift otherwise she won't make it through.. annoying if you're in a rush.

-- In the outer city areas, there are still some areas where buildings haven't been built yet, its just a sandpit.. so would you rather pay to park on the roadside or park in the sand for free.. :)

-- Say you're not in what I call the big Emirates (Abu Dhabi, Dubai), you're in a more rural Emirate.. you miss a turning.. like 9 times out of 10, there will be an easier way for you to get back to where you're going by driving in sand.

-- Again, you're in a more rural Emirate, you on dual carriageway type of road.. there's a ****load of traffic and everything is standstill.. but your exit is like 10 cars away.. drive on the sand along the road :)

I know with my examples you could just sit and shift in 4x4 but not having to do that just saves time :)

Hunner

To prevent us doing doughnuts in the sand!

I did a 180 with stabiltrac off! DAH_9723.JPG