• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Any closed air box intake system for the 6.2L engine?

Unreal

Any closed air box intake system for the 6.2L engine?
I've fount Volant but it says it is for the 6.0L engine only.

And would it really help the throttle response?

Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

amrg

For throttle response, get an LS3 throttle body. It has a 90mm opening as opposed to the 87mm truck throttle body which gives a slight increase in power. Also has bigger/stronger magnets making it more responsive and snappier. You will need to adjust the parameter for its size in the pcm for it though (tune)
Double check for clearance at the intake tube though as the bigger motor comes in the way.

Unreal

For throttle response, get an LS3 throttle body. It has a 90mm opening as opposed to the 87mm truck throttle body which gives a slight increase in power. Also has bigger/stronger magnets making it more responsive and snappier. You will need to adjust the parameter for its size in the pcm for it though (tune)
Double check for clearance at the intake tube though as the bigger motor comes in the way.
Thanks for the advice... Any negative side effects of the larger Throttle Body? i.e. rough idling?

Any recommendations for the air intake?

amrg

No side effects if you do the tune otherwise the truck will be getting in more air than its expecting for a specific throttle percentage.
As for intake, the airdoc system is an improvement over stock and keeps the oem box (best setup on an offraod vehicle) which pulls air directly from outside as opposed to the open box setup other makers do (which pulls hot air from inside the engine bay)

https://airdocintakes.com/product_four.htm

Unreal

No side effects if you do the tune otherwise the truck will be getting in more air than its expecting for a specific throttle percentage.
As for intake, the airdoc system is an improvement over stock and keeps the oem box (best setup on an offraod vehicle) which pulls air directly from outside as opposed to the open box setup other makers do (which pulls hot air from inside the engine bay)

https://airdocintakes.com/product_four.htm
Bigger throttle, here I come...

For the intake is it just a straight pipe? No cone filter inside the airbox?
Volant also is a closed box design but unfortunately it is not available for 2008-2009. [emoji20]

Thanks for your help much appreciated ... [emoji108]

amrg

If its anything like the H3 intake, it may have an extra opening at the bottom of the box to get more air in(which is taken from the hot engine bay).
The idea of a CAI is to get cool air in and more of it. A less restrictive filter in a stock box is an inprovement but some may argue against using a k&n oil filter. I did a snorkel on my H3 and my Intake air temps dropped by 5* as I basically moved the air inlet from inside the fender (being fed hot air at street level) to above the windshield (which is cooler). Id recommend keeping the stock box, getting a less restrictive intake tubing and if a snorkel is a viable option to use it.
Keep in mind the LS3 throttle body may need some mods to the intake tubing for clearance due to the bigger motor and a tune for calibrations. If you have access to hptuners its very simple otherwise any tuner can do it and you can tune your vehicle at the same time.

amrg

So scrolling around a Hummer group and I found this H2 with an LS3 throttle body (you can see the big throttle body motor on the passenger side of it). Note the intake tube routing (may be different in your case as this guy adding a big block)
162473fdc1296da991c1cedfe5c8a333.jpg

Unreal

So scrolling around a Hummer group and I found this H2 with an LS3 throttle body (you can see the big throttle body motor on the passenger side of it). Note the intake tube routing (may be different in your case as this guy adding a big block)
162473fdc1296da991c1cedfe5c8a333.jpg
Already bought the Air-Doc intake pipe and AFE Cone filter and will retain the factory airbox.

I'll check later if I can custom the intake pipe to fit the larger throttle body.