• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hummer H3 HD Dana 50/ CV shaft upgrade

atvspeed4

Do you have an estimated price? Will you be taking down payments?
Honestly not sure as my business partner has been working on final pricing and we have not had chance to sit down and go over it yet. Soon as I do, I will post up pricing. Shipping is going to be the awful part to sort out.

No need for deposit, once these get sold we will have a better feel of demand and can turn around a much larger order quickly

atvspeed4

So how would the D50 (which I am assuming is what you're going with) compare to the 10 bolt rear? The D50 is a 9 inch ring, right?
Much stronger and HP. With the HP Dana 44 we were running in Moab we snapped a rear shaft and damaged elocker side gear on a crazy ledge climb with alpha and 37s but the front ring and pinion were fine

JPaul

So I'd assume then that one would want to upgrade the rear as well to something like the GM 14 bolt or the Dana 60? Unfortunately my upgrade monies have dried up (needed this to be out last year!) so it's going to be a while for me to redo the axles again (but at least I'll be able to offset the cost a little by selling my old kit). But this is definitely something I am interested in. As great as SOA would be, I'd love to keep the road manners of an IFS and just beef it up to handle 35's and a tuned up V8 better. I'm somewhat scared (I'll admit it!) of going to 35's just because I don't want to snap things to bits because of the torque of the V8 combined with the 4:1.

4Lo-Tank

Honestly not sure as my business partner has been working on final pricing and we have not had chance to sit down and go over it yet. Soon as I do, I will post up pricing. Shipping is going to be the awful part to sort out.

No need for deposit, once these get sold we will have a better feel of demand and can turn around a much larger order quickly
Lemme know. Id be in for one

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

atvspeed4

So I'd assume then that one would want to upgrade the rear as well to something like the GM 14 bolt or the Dana 60? Unfortunately my upgrade monies have dried up (needed this to be out last year!) so it's going to be a while for me to redo the axles again (but at least I'll be able to offset the cost a little by selling my old kit). But this is definitely something I am interested in. As great as SOA would be, I'd love to keep the road manners of an IFS and just beef it up to handle 35's and a tuned up V8 better. I'm somewhat scared (I'll admit it!) of going to 35's just because I don't want to snap things to bits because of the torque of the V8 combined with the 4:1.

You can break anything if you try. I cant believe you haven't gone to 35s yet! On several of our personal H3s over the years the first thing we did was go to 35s. Our company test rig (2006 adventure) we purchased with 35s and used it almost exclusively wheeling to test our tierods, steering rack reinforcement and diff bushings with the stock aluminum diff for about 6 months before we jumped to 37s. The aluminum diff lasted for over a year of us on 37s wheeling before we cracked several teeth off. (many cv shafts failed before this). I think for 99% of the people out there, the stock 10 bolt rear and our HP dana 44 will be plenty especially if they upgrade to a air locker in the 10 bolt (you could also go alloy shafts). On our red 2006 with the 6.0L we are going semi float 14 bolt but that is more due to us wanting to link the rear and get rid of the stupid leaf springs we keep breaking on all of our rigs.

jphh20

We just placed the order for 5 housings and shafts. Not sure on ETA yet as we are in process of moving our shop and need to get the brackets and tabs cut out on our plasma table but things are in motion.

How far of a put is it to integrate and install this on a Rancho lifted H3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atvspeed4

How far of a put is it to integrate and install this on a Rancho lifted H3?

Honestly not sure. We dropped the diff with this final version to help with CV angles when torsionbars are adjusted so I am not sure what the heights would work out to be with the rancho side brackets also dropping the diff. The crossmember and our pinion mount is another unknown as we have a tab that mounts under the factory crossmember where the rancho relies on the stock diff sitting on top of the crossmember. The shafts, bearings, housing overall dimensions and machining would be the same its really the pinion mount that would have to be fabricated.

jphh20

Honestly not sure. We dropped the diff with this final version to help with CV angles when torsionbars are adjusted so I am not sure what the heights would work out to be with the rancho side brackets also dropping the diff. The crossmember and our pinion mount is another unknown as we have a tab that mounts under the factory crossmember where the rancho relies on the stock diff sitting on top of the crossmember. The shafts, bearings, housing overall dimensions and machining would be the same its really the pinion mount that would have to be fabricated.

Thanks for your quick response. I know that most rancho lifted rigs are probably interested into how to close this gap, me included.

fanugy

You can break anything if you try. I cant believe you haven't gone to 35s yet! On several of our personal H3s over the years the first thing we did was go to 35s. Our company test rig (2006 adventure) we purchased with 35s and used it almost exclusively wheeling to test our tierods, steering rack reinforcement and diff bushings with the stock aluminum diff for about 6 months before we jumped to 37s. The aluminum diff lasted for over a year of us on 37s wheeling before we cracked several teeth off. (many cv shafts failed before this). I think for 99% of the people out there, the stock 10 bolt rear and our HP dana 44 will be plenty especially if they upgrade to a air locker in the 10 bolt (you could also go alloy shafts). On our red 2006 with the 6.0L we are going semi float 14 bolt but that is more due to us wanting to link the rear and get rid of the stupid leaf springs we keep breaking on all of our rigs.

You fabricating the link setup in the rear or buying off the shelf brackets? I am interested in doing that as well. I bought an R2.8 for my T, but then couldn’t pass up a CTS-V as a donor for the T instead. I figure I need to beef up everything and the link is on the list plus the front dif

atvspeed4

You fabricating the link setup in the rear or buying off the shelf brackets? I am interested in doing that as well. I bought an R2.8 for my T, but then couldn’t pass up a CTS-V as a donor for the T instead. I figure I need to beef up everything and the link is on the list plus the front dif

We are making h3 specific brackets

colo4x4rado

3 link or 4 link in the rear? I am not sure where the fuel tank on the H3 is located, but on the H3T it is against the frame rail. I considered linking the rear when I did the SAS, but didn't want to make a fuel cell in order to go 4 link.

atvspeed4

3 link or 4 link in the rear? I am not sure where the fuel tank on the H3 is located, but on the H3T it is against the frame rail. I considered linking the rear when I did the SAS, but didn't want to make a fuel cell in order to go 4 link.
Almost same design as OEM H2 rear

atvspeed4

We finished the run of brackets on our plasma table and dropped off at the shop doing the assembly then the virus hit our area so they have been short staffed and behind on orders.

MilamJR

So, what's happening with this project? First batch get finished and shipped? Ive put my solid axle swap on hold waiting to see when these might be available. And due to the fact I tore another rotator cuff so I'm not doing anything for 2-3 months now. It sure suchs to get old.

Getting old ain’t for sissies.