• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

K5 Blazer/Jimmy

SlcHummer

So I've been looking at some local 1970-1990 K5/K10 Blazers and Jimmys and would love input from this group if anyone has any.

I've been interested in some in the $2k-3k range that are also in working order but am wondering what I should be on the lookout for before committing to a purchase. I'm also wondering what upgrades or future purchases I should be budgeting for to keep said rig on and off road. I'm not looking for a mint condition rig and my intentions are to install upgrades that would allow me to enjoy weekend cruises and 1-2 annual Moab trips, that may involve some cutting/welding of the body which I'm okay with.

Here are a couple of local rigs that have caught my interest, any feedback is appreciated. TIA

https://cars.ksl.com/listing/5759953?ad_cid=5

https://cars.ksl.com/listing/5698746?ad_cid=4

Last edited:

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had an 82 K5 Blazer. Great vehicle. Thing was a tank with an amazing turning radius. Wish I had never sold it. Mine had the 350 which I recommend. The 305 was pretty underpowered. Never had a major mechanical issue with mine so no real insight on problem issues to be on the lookout for.

atvspeed4

A friend of mine from a former offroad club had one. Pretty capable trucks but the frame rails really need to be boxes in and he had issues with the steering box pulling from the frame once he ran 37s which required some creative plating.

rascole

Ditto atvspeed4. My 74, D60/14B swap, frame flexed a lot and where the power steering box mounts needs the most attention. But there is a lot of info on what to do and easy enough to do. I added only the front frame plate.

SlcHummer

Thank you everyone. For the record, I'd be keeping the H3 and expect it to remain my main off road vehicle, just looking for another fun vehicle to enjoy that will hopefully be reliable enough to use while I want to work on H3 projects/repairs.