• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Colorado ZR2 parts in an H3

amrg

Was abit bored and came across this video of someone installing ZR2 parts on a Hummer H3. So far the rear shocks off the ZR2 and the front half shafts can be swapped on the H3 (very pricey though)

https://youtu.be/N4H9amDWWE4

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Interesting. I wonder if the half shafts pivot at the same place though, meaning if the ZR2 shaft is pivoting further outboard or inboard than where the facotyr h3 halfshaft is, wouldn't that affect performance somehow? suspension geometry. I have no idea if this is the case and they look close in the video but wouldn't that still be an issue in the long run?

atvspeed4

We have the CAD files for both trucks it's hilarious how close they are on certain parts. We did a comparison on Instagram/ FB measuring and they both have exact same wheel travel.

SlcHummer

Yes fender openings are tiny for some reason. You can fit them with the GM performance bodylift though

Pretty sure you just answered your own question. Why give customers access to free upgrades when you can force them to buy additional products from you? Not saying I agree, just how products are made these days.

amrg

The guy in the video above did instal a BDS lift to instal 35s but he still needed to trim and it looked tight (compared to the H3)
Interesting thing is I stumbled on a ZR2 related thread on coloradofans and most of the members on that thread were previous owners of H3/H3t with the adv package

jakesz28

I have a BDS lift sitting in the garage for my ZR2 right now. Plan on buy the larger AEV fender flares and cutting the fenders when they are released. The AEV fender flares and trimming are supposed to clear 35's with just a 1.5" level kit.

jakesz28

We have the CAD files for both trucks it's hilarious how close they are on certain parts. We did a comparison on Instagram/ FB measuring and they both have exact same wheel travel.

I would have to disagree with this. The H3 only has 5 or 6 inches of front wheel travel and the ZR2 has 8.5 inches by factory specs.

glpd74

I would have to disagree with this. The H3 only has 5 or 6 inches of front wheel travel and the ZR2 has 8.5 inches by factory specs.

Is that shock travel. I thought the zr2 was supposed to have 10” of front wheel travel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

glpd74

No, I am talking wheel travel. The ZR2 has 8.5 inches in the front and 10.5 in the back, roughly.

Thanks for the info. Those shocks must be really impressive based on the performance Ive heard about the front with that limited amount of travel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

amrg

The H3 has 8.5" wheel travel top to bottom actually!
I knew long time ago it was about 8" and O.D. recently posted on f.b. confirming the exact numbers of 8.5"

Jeepwalker

I guess I'll have to sit in a ZR2 sometime. Last Colorado I sat in I was underwhelmed with cabin volume. Seemed narrower and more cramped than the H3. I couldn't see the gauges b/c the steering wheel was in the way, console too wide for a narrow interior. Just what I observed. On the H3, they pushed the H3 body as wide as their assembly carriers could reasonably take. Just seems a lot wider inside, more legroom too. But can't argue with the ZR2 Pkg. Sure looks great!!

To answer the question about how many parts the two vehicles share: According to the H3 book, what I remember reading is according to a GM designer, the H3 only shared 10% of parts with the Colorado, most of that coming from the drivetrain and dash/firewall. I'll re-read through and verify. That was far less than originally planned.

Last edited:

Alpha X

To answer the question about how many parts the two vehicles share: According to the H3 book, what I remember reading is according to a GM designer, the H3 only shared 10% of parts with the Colorado, most of that coming from the drivetrain and dash/firewall. I'll re-read through and verify. That was far less than originally planned.

You're referencing Gen 1 Colorado (GMT355), not Gen 2 (31XX) which ZR2 is based on. Page 73, Larry Edsall H3 book.

amrg

Yeah I was refferring to the latest generation, which is a great alternative to the H3T.
I like the H3T way more though

Jeepwalker

You're referencing Gen 1 Colorado (GMT355), not Gen 2 (31XX) which ZR2 is based on. Page 73, Larry Edsall H3 book.

WHoops! You're right ....I read the question but wasn't thinking 2nd gen. Thanks for the correction.

amrg

Yeah GM pricing is amazing! The RCV replacement joints on the H3 are $325 each x 4 thats $1300 total + labor (not cheap either)

jakesz28

Yeah GM pricing is amazing! The RCV replacement joints on the H3 are $325 each x 4 thats $1300 total + labor (not cheap either)

That also is with a telescoping axle. Which makes the cv much stronger, unlike the factory H3 shafts.