Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.

Thread: oil cooler

Low Profile
    Thanks

oil cooler

Besides living in Phoenix I do a little bit of towing so I would like to add some cooling. I was looking at those kits with a filter sandwich adapter and remote radiator with fan. Anyone have any experience with them? Opinions? Other options?

Street Tire
    West valley, Phoenix AZ (escaped from wacky Madison WI)
    Thanks
    I wouldn't mess with that type of engine oil cooler set up. Too much potential for major oil leak if line blew off. And leaks at the adapter assembly. If you have Alpha there is a block off just above the oyl filter on block where I believe it's a factory spot for oil cooler lines to attach on certain GM vehicles. Just remember, when you add more lines and cooler that's more time it takes oil to get to crank when started.
    I would get trans oil cooler out of radiator and in front of it with good quality air to oil cooler. Make sure no debri buildup between condenser and radiator. And fresh Dexcool more frequently than every 5years. Make sure fan clutch is good too. These seem to fail quite frequently and use a genuine GM one. Aftermarket ones are crap. Even the expensive ones. Since moving here to Phoenix, I've installed the factory dual electric fan kit in front of radiator. Is computer controlled and works awesome. Kind of pricey though.
    any questions just ask.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Reloader For This Useful Post:

Somethingbigandorange (07-28-2019)

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Oh and where you at in valley?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Reloader For This Useful Post:

Low Profile
    Thanks
    1. My drain and refill routine is about every other year.

2. Sorry, I5 not alpha.

3. I’m at the butt end of Peoria where it meets Sun City, El Mirage, and Youngtown. Basically ‘around the corner’ from you.

So so one of the coolers with a fan instead of running the trans oil through the radiator?

El Diablo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,501 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Running the transmission through the radiator and through an external cooler is the most efficient but some of us bypass the radiator (and use a larger external trans cooler) in case there's ever a failure of the trans cooler in the radiator. When that happens (rare, but it does happen) the expense is huge.

Reloader essentially added the OEM electric pusher fans to his Alpha but it's a complicated setup but he knows how to do it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to alrock For This Useful Post:

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reloader View Post
    Oh and where you at in valley?
    I'm the guy with the red H3 you could hear the exhaust rattle coming down the road. Thanks so much, by the way...I still have video of you doing a quick patch job on the exhaust. Got that squared away, and a few other things, still have the mall-rat nerf bars, but overall in much better shape. Got a travel trailer last year and would like a little extra cooling power, figured it would be cheaper than buying another vehicle just for towing.

Street Tire
    Thanks
    You did the tire/wheel swap with the guy who had the custom paint on the Alpha a while ago. Think we did it here ,right?

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Yup. And Alex hooked me up with some free hubcaps. I had muffler masters replace cat back with a resonator delete, magnaflow, and slash cut straight out the back.

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reloader View Post
    I wouldn't mess with that type of engine oil cooler set up. Too much potential for major oil leak if line blew off. And leaks at the adapter assembly. If you have Alpha there is a block off just above the oyl filter on block where I believe it's a factory spot for oil cooler lines to attach on certain GM vehicles. Just remember, when you add more lines and cooler that's more time it takes oil to get to crank when started.
    I would get trans oil cooler out of radiator and in front of it with good quality air to oil cooler. Make sure no debri buildup between condenser and radiator. And fresh Dexcool more frequently than every 5years. Make sure fan clutch is good too. These seem to fail quite frequently and use a genuine GM one. Aftermarket ones are crap. Even the expensive ones. Since moving here to Phoenix, I've installed the factory dual electric fan kit in front of radiator. Is computer controlled and works awesome. Kind of pricey though.
    any questions just ask.
    Can you provide more info on the OEM dual fan set up? I tried a Google search for H3 OEM dual fan and only find after market options like Summit Racing. Did you install yourself?
    '10 H3 Alpha Offroad KMW Up Armor UCP, OD Heavy Duty Driveshaft, More to Follow!

'08 H3 Alpha Offroad (Aug 2014 to Aug 2020) 35" Toyo Open Counry MT's, T-Bar Crank, Odyssey Extreme Battery, CBP Winch Mount, Smittybilt XRC 9.5K Winch, Hi-Lift Jack, Ready Welder, Schwarttzy Hi Clearance Leaf Mounts / 2" Extended Shackles / Rock Sliders, KMW Up Armor UCP, Defender Roof Rack, CSF Racing Radiator, Fox 2.0 Shocks, Superchips Tuner

'06 H3 Adv/Lux (July 2012 to Aug 2014)

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalH3 View Post
    Can you provide more info on the OEM dual fan set up? I tried a Google search for H3 OEM dual fan and only find after market options like Summit Racing. Did you install yourself?

I succesfully installed a set of Dual electric fans along with a new thermostat setup, you can check it in the last post of this thread:

https://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/for...im-For-The-I-5

All the info is there, and they work amazing with little amp draw...but you need to cut shroud to correctly install it in the radiator without gaps

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guerrero For This Useful Post:

SoCalH3 (06-09-2020), Somethingbigandorange (06-16-2020)

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Nice, thanks for the info!
    '10 H3 Alpha Offroad KMW Up Armor UCP, OD Heavy Duty Driveshaft, More to Follow!

'08 H3 Alpha Offroad (Aug 2014 to Aug 2020) 35" Toyo Open Counry MT's, T-Bar Crank, Odyssey Extreme Battery, CBP Winch Mount, Smittybilt XRC 9.5K Winch, Hi-Lift Jack, Ready Welder, Schwarttzy Hi Clearance Leaf Mounts / 2" Extended Shackles / Rock Sliders, KMW Up Armor UCP, Defender Roof Rack, CSF Racing Radiator, Fox 2.0 Shocks, Superchips Tuner

'06 H3 Adv/Lux (July 2012 to Aug 2014)