• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Any Pointers or Advice on 'NOT Spilling Oil' on driveway during oil change???

EndeavoredH3

I use a big piece of cardboard on the ground with the oil catch pan.

Then I bungee a considerable sized piece of cardboard onto the differential crossmember so when it drains I don’t have to wipe that down.

Been a good system and there’s been no drips on the ground. I have to be very cautious due to apartment policies.

5gn-h3t

2 drain pans, cardboard, and I move the H3 rather than trying to move the pans. Transfer pan to 1 gallon containers while still over the cardboard. The UCP makes it even more fun.

Ordieh

To change the filter on the 5.3’s with OEM UCP, place an aluminum shallow baking pan on top of the UCP under the filter. Then, punch a hole in the thin baking pan over the main drain pan. Loosen the filter, wait a few minutes and then slowly remove the filter and tilt it over the aluminum pan. The pan will catch the oil which will drain into your main drain pan and not all over your ucp. The longer you wait, the less mess you have! Also, I drive the rear wheels onto ramps instead of the front wheels for two reasons : 1) The oil will drain from the pan without hitting the differential crossmember. 2) The drain plug sits to the front of the pan giving less old oil in the pan.

Last edited:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Before punching a hole in an oil filter; make sure to loosen it even a tenth of a turn. I have seen oil filter cross threaded to the point that to remove may be more than a backyard mechanic wants to handle in the yard. Just a thought.....

Ordieh

Before punching a hole in an oil filter; make sure to loosen it even a tenth of a turn. I have seen oil filter cross threaded to the point that to remove may be more than a backyard mechanic wants to handle in the yard. Just a thought.....
I totally agree. I didn’t do a good job of describing the approach. I didn’t mean to suggest punching a hole in the filter but rather in the thin baking pan that is sitting on the ucp. If a quality filter is properly installed, it should never be difficult to loosen. Also, cheap (thin wall) filters should never be installed on anything!

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I think I've left more oil stains in Reloader's driveway than he has.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tengo1

I always buy one of those tin cooking pans from the dollar store for $1. The ones with the thinnest walls. I punch a hole in one corner and push the other side between the cross member and the oil pan. Kind of curl the crossmember side of the pan up to make sure no oil slips out of the top. Reach my hand over the top and finish pulling out the bolt. Besides a little oil on my fingers, the oil drains down the cooking pan to the hole I punched in the corner and then into my oil catcher. Works like a charm.