• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Alpha: Starts when cold... doesn't start when hot.. :(

Lauren

Hey!

So, my H3 is having some kind of tantrum at the moment.. it will start fine when the engine is cold. However, if the engine is hot and I try to turn it on.. it won't start. I will have to jump it to start it..

There's no ticking noises, nothing. It makes one "dink" noise then that's it. Total silence. :( ..

Again, if I leave it for a few hours or whatever, it will start fine.

Sooooo I don't know if that a starter motor thing.. alternator.. ignition switch.. fuel system.. ?

Bear in mind, I live in Dubai.. hot af over here right now lol

Any suggestions? :)

amrg

If you still have the stock one, check your battery terminals! The original ones are notorious for making poor contact with the battery terminals, and may create the symptoms you are having (for me they did). Check for corrosion buildup too as the humidity in the gulf speeds it up which also leads to poor contact.
The H3 (2008+) has a voltage monitoring feature in the pcm and if it detects low voltage it will inturrupt the startup cycle.

Lauren

Oh! I'll have a look.. we disconnected the battery while it was running to test the alternator and the connections were a little loose I guess!
Thank you! I'll update later

Lauren

Riiight ... so I renewed the battery terminals.. and it's helped a lot! but still every now and then, she just doesn't want to start.. sometimes if I just keep trying it will randomly start.. sometimes not and I'll have to find a nice person who will pause their busy life for me..

One mechanic thinks I have some kind of "electric leak"... ?

What do you guys think?

Lauren

Btw...what was the outcome of disconnecting the battery while running? Will an H3 keep running?

Never had the nerve to try it.

haha! Trust me, my mind was freaking out a little bit because I've seen my dad disconnect batteries and the car went a little crazy... but she just kept going, like nothing happened! :)

Somethingbigandorange

Exactly why I asked. Does “most every” include the H3?

It is generally not a good idea to disconnect the battery while it is running - a sudden 'no load' can send a voltage spike. Just do the basic no-start diagnosis while it is hot and not starting. My dad had an old RV that he had to get underneath and fan the starter if we stopped on a long trip. It could be that the starter and/or solenoid can't take the heat. I do not know if more shielding would solve the problem (might), but you have to find the problem first. Do you have a multimeter?

Lauren

LOL, probably is the coil packs then

aww, well that really takes the jam out of my doughnut :L

I'll get them checked! But you know, it's not doing it as much since I changed the battery terminals... like before, I could almost guarantee it wouldn't start, so if I had to go out then I would just leave it running :/
But now, it's more likely that it will start, it's like the odd time it doesn't...