• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 How many miles is too many when buying a used H3?

fowlken8

So, I'm looking to get back into a H3 and know to generally avoid 2006 models or ones with specific vins. I'm not expecting perfection In a hummer that is at best approximately 10 years old.. But what is too high?

I'm seeing a lot in the 120 to 150k range rather cheap. Personally, I'm looking for something under 100k miles.

There's a red h3 adventure with 77k miles near me and I've got them down to $10k although it needs some paint work on the driver side fenders. There's a manual one on ebay for $13.5k with 88k miles as well that I like. I'm very close to purchasing but thought I'd get a consensus.

I know this has been asked a lot but also know that at a certain point, year to year, new thoughts and discoveries are made as these trucks age.

Opinions?

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
There's always a balance between price and age and I think it depends on your personal comfort zone. The red H3 sounds like a decent deal assuming it's just a paint issue. The eBay one sounds like it's priced high. Really, I'd want to drive each one and get them inspected by a mechanic before making a decision. The beauty, or the issues, are really below the surface.

Bowser-II

What year is the manual and what are it’s options?

If you know where it is located then I would bet you could get a local garage to inspect it.

Nice thing is that these trucks are pretty easy to work on. And the later years had some improvements on the front diff and even the transmission (hardened gears and such if I remember correctly)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fowlken8

The ebay one is a 2008, base model. No lockers no luxury package. It just looks cool and is a manual. It looks brand new inside and out. Screenshot_2019-07-12-06-25-50-251_com.ebay.mobile.jpgScreenshot_2019-07-12-06-25-34-065_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

humbleag

Obviously you know that mileage doesn't tell the whole story. Even if you know the previous owner and he provides every shred of documentation from when it was new, a used car is always a bit of a crap shoot. Low mileage could be a good thing, but I've read a lot of stories about engines/transmission/transfer cases going out well under 100k. Perhaps these are outliers, but the potential is there.

For me, I wanted some particular things (year, color) so I settled on one with high miles (182k) but one owner and at least some documentation of service. It needed some things that I can do, but with a low price and a bit of wrenching I'm still into it at a very good position. If a major issue comes up, I can put a new engine or transmission in and still be comfortable with the investment. If you are going to have to have someone work on it for you every time something comes up, any of them has the potential to be a frustrating money pit.

All that said, the white one looks pretty nice and if it is what you want, you probably can't go too wrong with it.

Good luck!

fowlken8

And the red one. I never off-road. Ever. Any h3 I buy I'd put a leveling kit since a rancho isn't available anymore. Probably 35s too. The only thing is I don't wanna have it painted right away. But it's $3.5k less with 11k miles less 00101_3jFAtkQK7PH_600x450.jpg00v0v_7KvglG4Eh0O_600x450.jpgAttach39884_20190711_174255.jpgAttach39882_20190711_174238.jpg

fowlken8

So, $10k for red, local. Great interior. New tires but small and don't like chrome rims. Both drivers fenders need work. I'd level it and want bigger tires. Put a grille guard and a roof rack. So I'd invest a bit.

And $12k for white in California.

White is already done how I'd like it. Plus manual seems cool. But I'd have to fly to California and drive it back 15 hrs haha interior and body/paint look new.

Last edited:

humbleag

How brave would one have to be to purchase an '06 model in the bad head Vin range?

Or am I confusing bravery with stupidity with a near guarantee that I'll have engine problems....:huh:

https://www.shookauto.com/VehicleDetails/6534/282880/New-Philadelphia-OH-2006-Hummer-H3-4d-SUV

Wow! I clicked on the carfax icon hoping to see the report (not shopping, just nosy). No report, but it says there are 93 records. That is a lot, would be interesting to see what all has been done. Perhaps even the head replacement?

And how cool to own an H3 that once belonged to Batman. :)

Last edited:

rascole

fowlken8

That's what I was thinking too, $14k. The rims are...eh, shiny. I like black wheels but hey, at least they're "nice".

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
15,900 isn't bad and there's always room to negotiate, like Rascole pointed out. What size tires are on there? Those look larger than 315s (35s). I would not want anything larger on a stock H3 than 35. Got some nice options on there.

fowlken8

They said they'd go down to $14.9 for me. Shipping is about 1,100 so I'm still paying 16k. Those look like 37s....but yeah front and rear lockers. Front and rear bumpers. Roof rack. Grille guard. Nice sound system. Looks to be in great shape. My previous h3 had 38s and was OK for me but it was solid axle swapped and probably geared, I was never sure about the gears

amrg

Yeah it looks like 37s on it and probably gona be hard to drive esp with the big (looks heavy) wheels it has. Your solid acle H3 probably was geared properly if you were able to use over drive normally

fowlken8

Whoa good catch adventuredad! Didn't catch the two different types of tires. That's interesting.

Are the 4.56 adventure gears not good enough to push that truck? I'm 99% not going to get it as the seller keeps pretending to have offers falling through, decreasing price little by little, saying goodbye...then texting again. It's weird. I do like the look though.

The white manual one looks great to me and he's willing to work on price for sure. Could probably get it for $11.5

amrg

With the 3.7 you need 5.xx gears to be right and thats not taking into account performance lost due to tyre/wheel weight!

adventuredad

Whoa good catch adventuredad! Didn't catch the two different types of tires. That's interesting.

Are the 4.56 adventure gears not good enough to push that truck? I'm 99% not going to get it as the seller keeps pretending to have offers falling through, decreasing price little by little, saying goodbye...then texting again. It's weird. I do like the look though.

The white manual one looks great to me and he's willing to work on price for sure. Could probably get it for $11.5

I bet the front tires were worn so he kept the tears and only replaced the fronts with what he could get cheap. When I got mine the dealer had said it had new tires, I got in a rush and didn’t realize till a week or so later that they had kept the best 2 on the front, 2 brand new for the rear and I swear the most bald for the spare. Only one of them is siped as well. Strange mix but at least they are all the same brand. If you plan on new tires then it shouldn’t be a huge deal but does sound like a strange one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk