• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 How many miles is too many when buying a used H3?

07Custom

Thank you for the link. I'm afraid of 2006 model year because of the head issues. I've passed on a few awesome one owner ones because I figured it would go kaboom!

I'm hoping for under 130k miles, preferably leather and a lift or leveling kit on 35s. It'll be hard, I know...

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

5gn-h3t

Keep looking. If the dealer seems fishy, keep moving. There are lots to chose from. There’s a nice ‘09 H3 with the coveted roof marker lights near me for $11,999.

Last year, I spent weeks dealing with a Chevy dealer that had a used H3T for sale at a very good price. I was too focused on the price and let some shady tactics slide. Drove there 3 times (over 4 hours each way). Had it insured, title was filled out in my name (still had to bring it back to my home state for transfer) then found some problems as I was leaving the dealership. Their 30-day warranty suddenly disappeared and we all ended up in an argument. Both the dealer and I had lots of time and money tied up in this. They ended up stealing the paperwork from me, gave me back my check and kicked us ( my wife and I) out. I should have trusted my gut from the get-go. A few weeks ago I found a 1 owner ‘09 H3T and it was the best automotive purchasing experience I’ve ever had and that Chevy dealer is out of business.

Lauren

I mean, mileage is important, but isn't it better that you drive it first?

For example, I bought my 2009 Alpha with 145,000kms (roughly 90,100 miles) and its like basic basic model.. :( .. but I wanted the engine and V8's are kinda like gold dust here. Most people think I've done an engine swap.

Anyway, around 4/5 months later I found another 2009 Alpha, it had the lockers on it and the screen etc etc.. only 77,000kms (roughly 47,850 miles)!!! Pictures looked perfect so I decided to go see it at the dealership..
As I was walking towards it, the first thing I noticed was that the previous owner had put another cooler in (could see it through the grille).. then I noticed the scratches everywhere.. thats fine, I can get it painted.... looked at the engine, crazy wires everywhere.. (I thought it's weird but I'm not a mechanic) .. stood on the step and noticed the whole roof was dented (previous owner probably sitting/standing on the roof) opened the door and half a desert fell out (I must look stupid because the guy told me it's because it was sitting outside for a little bit)..
So I decided to drive it and I just wanted to cry.. it had been used as a desert play car by someone who does not know how to drive in the desert :'( As I said, I'm no mechanic but I could feel like multiple misfires, sounded like a dying giraffe, pretty sure the axles and steering rods were non existent, transmission had died completely it never shifted out of 2nd and didn't even seem to know what reverse was, even the AC didn't work...
Poor H3 didn't deserve that type of deserve that type of cruel death. :(

Sooo, going back to it, I would defo drive it first... I'm sure you will but I just want to make sure haha!

I hope you find your perfect Hummer baby soon! :)

amrg

Your story sounds like the time me and Humvee went to see an H3t he saw online. Solar flare, low mileage, looked good and had those aftermarket bed side racks, until we test drove it. The front would twist right as the rear twists left. It was strange until we took a good look at the body. The rear of the cabin had marks where the rear bed had apparently smashed into it. Looked under and yep, bent frame from jumping it over a dune. The owner never acknowledged anything wrong with the truck although he saw us coming in a Hummer. Drives like a lion was what he said, I guess some ppl think those trucks are invincible...

Lauren

Aww that sucks!

Yeah I know, people seem to think they are literal tanks.. I mean I know they look kinda tanky I guess but c'mon :L

"Drives like a lion" haha! That tickled me :L

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Thank you for the link. I'm afraid of 2006 model year because of the head issues. I've passed on a few awesome one owner ones because I figured it would go kaboom!
If the head issues existed in any 2006, they would have manifested themselves already in the past 13 years. Any my 07 had a head issue, so at this point it's not about a specific VIN range but of luck. But the 06 does have 20 less HP too.

fowlken8

Nice, I didn't even know it existed. I only knew of Rancho and that one off monster lift kit.

I do like that Hummer though. Is 141k miles insanely stupid to consider? 2 owners, no damage or accidents reported and tons of records on the carfax. The dealer serviced it every time it looked like.

Maybe if the price were considerably cheaper...or not, prices are so hit and miss with these things and lifts are hard to come by.

At the same time I was considering the orange one with 117k miles, questionable tire choices and bad salesman. Although it did have front and rear lockers and a massive roof rack.

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
BTW, the real answer on too many miles is about 50% more miles than my H3 has whenever I sell it sometime down the road.

SlcHummer

I bought my 06 with 110k miles just over 4 years ago and am now around 161k. It's had its fair share of issues and maintenance needs but I love this rig and have no intentions of parting with it. Here are said issues over the years;

Radiator (replaced twice) plus hoses once
Transmission cooler lines and fittings
4x4 wiring harness tie-down (fixed "Serv 4x4" message)
Thermostat
Ignition Switch
CV axles (replaced both sides)
CV axle seals (replaced 3+ times)
Tie rods (bent a 14mm oem in moab, replaced with 16mm oem *no issues* and later with 1" OD HD tie rods)
Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly (both sides)
Idler Pulley and Serpentine Belt
Spark Plugs
Exhaust Manifold bolt extraction
Exhaust Manifold and Gasket
Third brake light
Crankshaft Seal and Harmonic Balancer
Fan clutch
Motor mounts
Hood and Rear Door Shocks
OD Steering Rack Reinforcement and Front Diff Bushing Kits
Vapor Emissions Canister Vent Hose and Valve Solenoid Jumper Wiring Harness
Intermediate and Lower Steering Shaft

07Custom

Thanks for that thorough response. Those are all things I can do thankfully. I've done some decent stuff to my old hummer with Chris and CJs help. This 07 one in Georgia is looking good...

amrg

Get a history of the vehicle if you're interested. Its 12 years old so it kinda did less than 12K a year. The trans usually takes a crap about that mileage so if it was replaced thats a plus. Check the vin range on the engine (head issue).
The truck has a lift, the correct wheels to fit the lift, rock sliders, gen1 thor bumper and a winch so those do add some value. ($4k brand new)
I would recommend a V8 to start with though but those are only available in 2008+

fowlken8

Hmm....the orange one with front/rear lockers, bumpers, winch, roof rack was just lowered $1,000 bucks to $14.9k

I'd buy it at $13.9

Still concerned about the front tires not missing. Wonder why it hasn't sold? Are hummers only cool to us or are there problems. Buying a vehicle sight unseen is scary...

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Just did a quick check of the items I've replaced in the last 60,000 miles/6 years. I deleted maintenance items like fluid changes.

MileageService
129600New Radiator cap
129700Serpentine
129700UCA boot, left
132900Sway bar bushings
133760Exhaust manifold
133760Rear springs
133760Crankshaft seal, bolt
133760Motor mount, passenger
134000Torsion bars
140000Transfer case
Driver upper control arm
142550Front shocks
143075PCV hose
143075Front pads
143075Driver motor mount
143075Oil pressure switch
149550Fan clutch
150102Front shocks
150102Hoses, thermostat
150102Rear pinion seal
152474Steering pump
152474Steering rack
158670Steering pump
158857CV, passenger
158857Front rotors
159374Front pinion seal
159374Front prop shaft u-joint
162000Upper control arm
164500Prop shaft
164500Oil pressure sensor
170590Radiator
170590Battery strap
170590battery
171650ignition switch
171650Starter relay
171800Tires
173994Seat belt latch
174224Motor mounts
174224Cast iron diff
174224Rear pads
174224Driver's wheel bearing
174224Passenger wheel bearing
174224Ring & Pinion
174224Locker rebuild kit
174224Gear rebuild kit
174224Diff bearing kit
174224Rear bearings/seals
174800Diff cover
175100CV axles
175863HVAC blend door, upper

07Custom

I'm very confused. My posts are now showing up on my old screen name, when I informed my login was banned originally so I made the one in the OP

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Don't tell me these things. Looks like a lot, but you do wheel pretty hard right? I never would...

Most of that is from off road use. Many of the items that fail due to age are low cost items, like the oil pressure sensor switch.

fowlken8

Wow....the solar flare LOADED H3 in Florida....dropped by another $1,000.

$15,999.....$14,999......now $13,999. I'm so tempted :no:

Why, why, why. That's a good price, something must be wrong.

I messaged the salesman and asked him why it isn't selling and if there are any issues. His response, "because I'm a horrible salesman. I talked a guy out of buying it because he was upside down on his current vehicle by $6k and I didn't want to ruin his financial future". Um....yeah haha

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
He "talked them out of it" because there's no way a loan would get approved with $6K negative equity.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I'm very confused. My posts are now showing up on my old screen name, when I informed my login was banned originally so I made the one in the OP
You have two different usernames and two different emails under which they are registered. Whatever you use to log in will be the one that shows. However, one needs to be closed out - which one do we keep?