• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Mountaincur

New to the forum so bear with me if any of the pictures don’t show up properly but I though I would make a post about a recent project that I did on my H3. Between trail driving and even car washes I have noticed that the license plate on my H3 likes to get caught and bent on things and I always liked the look of having the license plate mounted on the spare tire. I looked to find a mount but found none that fit exactly what I wanted (having a space to mount a work light) and were affordable. I took on this project in my usual fashion and took weeks longer than it should have taken and overbuilt it much more than necessary. Started with sheet metal to make a frame for the plate to mount to, adding a bend for a light bar to bolt to, and a plate to bolt under the spare.
57348831756__89F9D8C8-514A-44AA-A541-BCD4380941E4.JPG
Next I found some square tube at the local metal shop and used the drill press at my high school to make straight holes for the pins to attach.
IMG_0436.jpg
Got all the parts for the project laid out and ready to start putting things together.
IMG_0439.jpg
Marked center lines on each piece and found where to weld them and then sent it off to a friend of mine to weld.
IMG_0441.jpg
The next week I had the parts back from welding and added a flat black spray paint job.
IMG_0549.jpg
Bolted everything together and mounted up for the first time.
IMG_0550.jpg
And now onto my favorite part of the job, wiring. I already had an auxiliary relay board under my hood with a spare so the light bar was mostly plug and play except running the wires through the door and along the frame and for the smaller license plate light I soldered the new light into the existing wiring and removed the old light.
IMG_0638.jpg
Overall the project went well ignoring the fact that I spent more on supplies than it would have cost me to just buy one but I don’t mind the metal work and had lots of fun doing it. Hope someone can find some good information from this and let me know any things you think I could have improved on!

RamRod

Looks great!!

It's not always about doing a project for the least amount of $$, sometimes it's about the build process and getting exactly what you wanted!

Cheers to the good work!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk