• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

HUMMER as an all-electric brand?

scoreh3

If I remember correctly, some company actually converted an H3 to all electronic. I don’t remember much I just remember reading an article about it.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think GM could screw up a wet dream. They had no idea what to do with Hummer the first time around and didn't have the guts or foresight to stick with the brand. Now Jeep has beaten them over the head with their 4x4 vehicle sales and GM wants to play again. Why trust GM with your automobile dollars when the are likely to leave you high and dry again. Who knows, maybe they will resurrect the Vega next.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
First, the phrase all electronic is not correct, all electric; big difference. However, it was not all electric (like a Bolt or Tessla) it was a hybrid like a Prius (still had a gas engine). And one reason it failed was they wanted GM to modify the location of the engine during assembly and the cost was greater than most would think, GM didn't have the money, and GM all but had given up on the hummer line due to falling sales.
Second, even if GM does bring back the Hummer name, I bet it will not be what it is on this forum. (Electric is the term when electrical energy is converted into another type of energy, while electronic is the phrase used to control electricity....short explanation, but we learned this in college.)

And I'll stop there; I dream of living long enough to read about GM going bankrupt, the government telling them to just end it, closing their doors and become part of history like Packard, Studebaker, etc. I will die then with a smile on my face.

Last edited:

deserth3

I think GM could screw up a wet dream. They had no idea what to do with Hummer the first time around and didn't have the guts or foresight to stick with the brand. Now Jeep has beaten them over the head with their 4x4 vehicle sales and GM wants to play again. Why trust GM with your automobile dollars when the are likely to leave you high and dry again. Who knows, maybe they will resurrect the Vega next.
Why trust GM?? Because I don't think the alternatives are any better...

Ok, so I don't trust any of them...

Sent from my motorola one zoom using Tapatalk

RamRod

I welcome any company that wants to bring an electric 4x4 truck to the market under an old name or new.

Feeling the torque and acceleration that electric motors are capable of from behind the drivers wheel is unreal.

Electric vehicles have a steep hill to climb to be competitive with ICE cars and trucks but once they get there it will make it look like ICE vehicles are archaic.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

amrg

The future is electric! It will definately make offroad vehicles better. The lighter weight and possiblity of motors on all 4 corners will make axles/lockers a thing of the past!

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
I doubt I would be willing to pay the asking price, regardless of any long term savings for fuel costs.

SlcHummer

so-here-we-have-a-diesel-van-with-a-petrol-59410817.png

JPaul

All-Electric is fine for commuting and places like Moab where most of the trails are well within the range of a battery pack. Anything requiring actual distances to be crossed across remote territory still needs something that can be quickly refueled, so that only leaves petrol/diesel powered engines. So a hybrid would be fine (perfect actually, best of both worlds), but an all-electric would be out unless you're wanting to stop for a week to recharge after having to haul a trailer just for all the solar panels.

RamRod

I dont think charging is as much of an issue that people make it out to be.

Sure in the old days it would take a day to charge but in the modern era they have increased the charge rate significantly to the point where you get 80% of a full charge in 30 min or less. (Depending on your battery size of course)

The next time any of you are on a long road (+500 miles) trip and you stop for gas, a bathroom break and maybe to grab a coffee or snack, let the dogs out to go do there thing, etc I suggest you take a look at the clock when you get there and when you leave, it usually takes my family no less than 20-25 min to get back going again even though I am only at the pumps for 4-5 min

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

LagunaH1

I'd applaud an all-electric Hummer, but completely share the skepticism about GM.

Look at what companies like Bollinger Motors are doing. Price is out of range for me, but I like the styling and some of the "paying homage" to Land Rover (design) and Hummer (portal axles)