• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Salvage H3T

SolidusJ

I've been looking all over the web for salvage H3T's. Really want to find one with front end damage, the plan is to cut it pretty much in half to make the bed into a trailer.

Does anyone have experience on obtaining a salvage vehicle and if there's any T's out and about that fit my requirements?

I would even be happy to get one with another member and pull off the parts they want.

Thanks for the info!

fanugy

They come up a couple times per year- last decent one with front end damage went for 9k.

There have been some heavily damaged ones but I haven’t followed those. Haven’t seen one in listed on the sites I follow in about 2 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amrg

I like the idea, seen a few jeeps do the same!
What about the weight though?

Traxx

Easier and cheaper to just order a complete bed and find some 1/2 ton frame on Craigslist to chop up or just build a trailer frame to slap it on. I've never seen a cheap T, salvage or otherwise.

High Five H2

Easier and cheaper to just order a complete bed and find some 1/2 ton frame on Craigslist to chop up or just build a trailer frame to slap it on. I've never seen a cheap T, salvage or otherwise.

this is what I would do too. I found a few beds on car-part going for $1-2K.

Jeepwalker

Or, find a cheeap h3, cut the cab behind the driver's seat (or pass if you want a 4dr), then splice in the rear of a colorado cab (or other truck cab) ..and rear window. Truck cab rears don't vary a whole lot. Yeah, you'd have to make it fit. Then install a bed off a truck which matches the bodyline best. Probably have to bob the bed to fit. If you have good welding and autobody skills and have ever done any street rod fabbing (chopping, sectioning, etc), it would be a similar project. If ya haven't ever done that kind of work, it would be pretty daunting. Better just forking out the $$, buying a H3T and enjoy it.

I personally would like to make a copy of the first H3 pick-up concept (regular cab). But I determined from really thinking the project over in detail, it would almost be easier to start with a 90's era full-sized GM 4x4 shortbox ....and build from there ..tilting the windshield up, adding H3 fender flares, H3-like hood etc. A guy might be able to buy a whole hummer-like front fiberglass piece from a kit-car company that once made Hummer replicas. Seems like it might be easier than 'trucking-out' a H3. And you'd end up with a stronger frame simpler mechanicals, and true truck capabilities and aftermarket parts.

Last edited:

Traxx

You can still order a complete bed new. I inquired about 6 months ago when I had a similar idea, after doing the cost sheet for the project I decided to just buy something better suited.

RamRod

I am deliberating on a certain project with my h3t....
If I decide to do it the bed may come off.
And if I end up pulling the trigger I would be putting the bed up forsale...
Quite a few if's....

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

SolidusJ

I am deliberating on a certain project with my h3t....
If I decide to do it the bed may come off.
And if I end up pulling the trigger I would be putting the bed up forsale...
Quite a few if's....

That is quite a few if's, I'll be the first one to try and buy it. I don't mind making my own frame to make this thing happen!!!

jakesz28

Easiest to just find a light offroad trailer or an old m100/m116 military trailer and have someone fab some fenders to mimic the H3 fenders.

RamRod

Easiest to just find a light offroad trailer or an old m100/m116 military trailer and have someone fab some fenders to mimic the H3 fenders.
I think your onto something... the box is quite square and does not have much shape or contour to it... a box + H3T fenders would trick enough people for less money

JPaul

Rather have the H3T bed all day.
H3T bed on a M101A(x) frame. Not sure how common my situation is, but I think you can find a M101A1 or the like with a trashed tub but good frame for pretty inexpensive. My M101A1 (might be an A2) was cheap, the tub is kind of garbage but the frame was good.

Find something like that and ditch the tub and put the H3T tub on it, shouldn't be that hard. If the frame is too long it shouldn't be much work to cut it down. M101's are 8 feet long for the frame, think the frame width is around 4 feet. No idea what the H3T tub's dimensions are. The overall width of the M101 is just perfect for the H3 though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Traxx

Either way it winds up costing far too much for what is essentially a vanity trailer. There are a bazillion manufacturers of off road trailers already built and better suited.

Traxx

Doesn't make any difference to me how you waste your time and money. If you want an overpriced, overweight, half plastic 5 foot box with no more load capacity than a harbor freight trailer just for looks then go for it.

Either way, I'm a proudly build kind of person, not probably paid for.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Heck, that makes sense to me. I'd rather build what I want, they way I want it, than just the cheapest or easiest way. I can see why someone would want an H3T trailer that's 100% H3T.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Alpha X

Doesn't make any difference to me how you waste your time and money. If you want an overpriced, overweight, half plastic 5 foot box with no more load capacity than a harbor freight trailer just for looks then go for it.

This reply, based on your own opinion for what kind of trailer he should buy or make, is unnecessary.

fanugy

Alpha X is right. You tend to be condescending when others disagree. Your response to his highlights your immaturity and defensiveness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tend to do things "my" way and not worry what anyone else thinks. If they like it great, if they don't great. As long as I get it the way I want it I am good. Jay has shown on previous projects that he can/will tackle some pretty difficult challenges. I am looking forward to seeing what he comes up with. Whether or not I would do the same or even like what he does is irrelevant. I will enjoy his build and cheer him on. Hell if he were closer I would even help him.

5gn-h3t

Back to the OT, I’ve been watching the salvage auctions myself for H3’s and H3T’s for about 2 years. Almost all of the H3’s go for too much and all of the T’s that I’ve seen go for way too much. If you are serious about the project and don’t mind spending the money, I think you are better off just buying a new bed. Make the frame and buy the trim pieces used.

Or buy a used H3T, steal what you need and resell it.