• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 has only a fuel pump filter-Is there a way to install an in-line fuel filter?

Jeepwalker

I imagine a universal in-line filter can be installed. Or perhaps parts used for an 'export version' H3 you could retrofit using the proper fuel lines. Try browsing GMPartsDirect.com. If you find one, ensure the fuel pump is the same to overcome filter pressures.

amrg

The export H3 doesnt have a seperate filter and uses the same fuel pump as the US models.
I had my fuel tank dropped at 100K miles to clean the fuel pump/filter, expecting to find dirt and whatnot but it turned out to be very clean!

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Easily replaceable fuel filters, for most vehicle, were done away with years ago due to EPA regs on fuel storage.
In the olden days, fuel was stored in the ground in steel tanks. Steel tanks rusted, hole appeared, dirt entered and could find its way through the pump and into the fuel system of your vehicle. Many might remember how some companies placed a final filter on the fuel pump's hose at the station. Those are gone too.

In the 70s, the EPA made a decision that ALL inground steel fuel tanks had to be replaced with fiberglass tanks that cannot rust or verified they were drained of fuel and filled with sand to be never used again.
Also, around the same time, the vehicle manufacturers started using plastic tanks so the problem of rust forming inside a vehicle's fuel tank allowing debris to get into the engine was eliminated, and also fuel lines were changed to prevent problem with the lines.

Therefore, the manufacturers pretty much did away with the inline filter, but there is sill an in the tank sock filter mounted around the pump intake.

In all my years at GM service engineering, I never heard of or saw a problem with dirt in the fuel lines causing engine problems. We did see a lot of diesel fuel pumped into gasoline tanks by drivers and by fuel delivery trucks, and gasoline in diesel tanks; and no inline filter will fix that mistake.

But as noted, any generic fuel approved filters should work. Just make sure it is large enough to handle the required fuel flow.

Possibly head into a auto parts store and see if they can look up one from a different manufacturer (if anyone still uses one) or go back to the 80s and earlier vehicles; especially earlier than 70 when they were always used.

JPaul

You could put an inline filter in if you are willing to risk fuel leaks, fires, or other mishaps when it's improperly installed in a high pressure fuel injected system. Gas in the US at least is pretty dang clean when it comes out of the pump. No reason for an additional filter. Have you ever dropped the tank on a vehicle made since the early 90's? The filter is nearly perfectly clean and there is rarely any junk in the tank unless the filler was damaged or the cap left off for months. You're chasing ghosts trying to do this stuff. Contrary to popular belief most engineers designing these vehicles actually know what they are doing and while mistakes get made, the overall engineering is perfectly fine and doesn't need to be messed with. Some hack under a tree isn't going to improve much on a vehicle designed in the last 20 years, and more likely is going to make it worse.

Happy Hummer

Yes, it is your vehicle and you make any mod you wish. Wether I agree or disagree.
Have a desire to put on 37inch tires and big fenders, rims with bead locks and so on great.
Low profile tires and hoop'ty great. Pimp it! Black it! Whatever floats your boat.

I have my opinions and clearly the rest of the peeps have there's.

Just make sure it safe. Or not lol!

JPaul

Yes, it is your vehicle and you make any mod you wish. Wether I agree or disagree.
Have a desire to put on 37inch tires and big fenders, rims with bead locks and so on great.
Low profile tires and hoop'ty great. Pimp it! Black it! Whatever floats your boat.

I have my opinions and clearly the rest of the peeps have there's.

Just make sure it safe. Or not lol!
If he has to ask if there is a way to modify his fuel system on a high pressure injection system, he shouldn't be doing it period. Yeah, he can do what he wants, but don't encourage him when it's not only a pointless modification but also literally likely to end in flames. Putting large tires on is nowhere equal or even comparable to futzing with a fuel system.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Although I agree that it is not needed in this day-and-age, it is not a problem for an install and using the correct connections from the filter to the line is not a serious problem, since many would say (on average) pressure of 57 psi (if my memory is still good) is not that high. (However, what is considered high to one may not be considered high to another.)

If the filter is installed the frame rail, I would make up some type of stone shield for it for protection. And doubt if it is "likely" to end up in flames.

I have known a few to add an inline filter and never had a problem with fires. And if the filter is rated for the pressure is installed in a safe location with correct connections it would not be much different than the millions of vehicle that were produced back prior to the 80s that had inline filters. Usually installed somewhere along the inside of the frame rail near the rear of the vehicle, from memory; however have seen them installed in the engine compartment too.

Last edited: