• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Starts, shuts down after a second, and wipers start going...

Rodzlla

Will post up once I get it figured out (by myself or by dealership).

07/07/19 - No action on this yet. Hope to tow itto the dealer sometime this week.

Last edited:

Rodzlla

My truck is on the road again. The technician found a short to ground associated with the underhood fuse block. They replaced the fuse block and it started right up. It ran perfectly. They started it over and over. No issues. I am optimistic. It feels so good to be back behind the wheel of this thing!

Rockhound76

Probationary Member
I know this is an old thread. But I wanted to say "thanks". I had the exact same issue. It started with "codes" the mechanic I hired couldn't resolve. As usual, the easy answer was new ECM. Took him months to get it running again. I go to pick it up, put it in drive, the wipers start up, the engine dies. I try it again and again. On one occasion, the rear passenger window rolled down on it's own. Another two weeks of diagnostics (free, this time) and they indicated it was a "faulty ignition switch" because "you installed some stupid radio" Well, duh, that was 5 years ago.

I get the truck back, it finally passes inspection and I take it for a long drive. It does the exact same thing. Wipers won't turn off, the rear wiper and rear window activated on their own and if the engine runs more than a few seconds (sometimes it would run for a while in park if I turned the wiper switch back and forth, put the car in drive while the ignition was on, engine no running, then back to park. The engine would start, the wipers would "park". Put it in drive, and the wipers started up and the engine died.

Towed it in last night. I'll send a note to the mechanic to check the fuse block and grounds.

Rockhound (ricky).

Note: Trying to decide on whether to keep this truck or not. It was our daughter's college vehicle. New re-manufactured engine, new re-manufactured transmission before she left for school 4 years ago. Until this, it's been great.

Jeepwalker

Ricky... try to keep your spirit up. I can see how this would be frustrating. There' still nothing out there like an H3. Sound like your daughter is about the same age as ours. Hopefully your mechanic will find something under the fuseblock, or nearby. Or a wire short/bad ground. They can be tricky to find. I'm just curious ...did your 'mechanic' end up replacing the ECM the first time you had it in there?

Let us know what your mechanic finds out.

Rockhound76

Probationary Member
Ricky... try to keep your spirit up. I can see how this would be frustrating. There' still nothing out there like an H3. Sound like your daughter is about the same age as ours. Hopefully your mechanic will find something under the fuseblock, or nearby. Or a wire short/bad ground. They can be tricky to find. I'm just curious ...did your 'mechanic' end up replacing the ECM the first time you had it in there?

Let us know what your mechanic finds out.
Yes to the new ECM as "step 1". In the beginning, it was due to codes coming up that couldn't be cleared. That took months (there were a few other non-electrical issues, as well). The codes remained despite the new ECM, and I couldn't get the vehicle to pass inspection with them, but I planned to take the Hummer in to the tranmission shop that had replaced the trans a few years back. I went back to the mechanic to pick my Hummer up. Right in the parking lot, that's when the"wiper gremlin" cropped up. They kept the vehicle a few more weeks, replacing the battery and ignition switch. That seemed to "fix" the issue and the codes cleared. I kept the Hummer, it passed inspection and I started prepping it to sell (had a squeal that turned out to be a bad water pump). The pump wasn't leaking so I tried driving it to where I keep my boat (to work on electrical issues there, too.). The gremlins returned, leaving me stranded there for hours waiting on my wife. The good news: they had a bar. Btw, I just called the mechanic and he was going through the fuse block and grounds using jumpers. They suspect something with the block or the ignition.