• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

ZR2 shopping tomorrow

jakesz28

The wife told me we could trade her car in for a ZR2. What does that mean for the H3. It might be time to start chopping it up. SAS and SOA. Hmm. The dealer only has one in inventory.

jakesz28

congrats, glad you found one. they had to ship mine out from Nebraska.

Would have liked to order a Bison, but I saved a fair amount with the used one. Biggest complaint was the polished SS steps they added. Trying to get some factory rock rails or may order the RRO but they mount frame and body. Not sure the 2 should be attached solid.

I need to clean out my old photobucket account or find a new photo sharing site. Still impressed with the ride on Missouri's rural roads.

JPaul

Would have liked to order a Bison, but I saved a fair amount with the used one. Biggest complaint was the polished SS steps they added. Trying to get some factory rock rails or may order the RRO but they mount frame and body. Not sure the 2 should be attached solid.

I need to clean out my old photobucket account or find a new photo sharing site. Still impressed with the ride on Missouri's rural roads.
I would not want two things that are normally connected by rubber bushings that flex a lot to then be connected with solid steel in places probably not meant for it. One, you'll tear it apart after a while when flexing everything offroad. Two, it will transmit a ton of noise into the cab.

As for photo hosting, use Imgur. It's free, easy to use, and no watermarks or ads or holding your images hostage like Photobucket likes to. And when someone goes directly to your image they don't have to download malware from the 50 ads Photobucket makes you view.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jakesz28

I think RRO left the mounting arms small to allow a little flex. I like the kickers on them but not the sliders as a whole. I found some factory rock rails for now. Picking them up today. Then I will get some pictures after they are on. I posted some on my FB but they do it no justice. May post a before and after, when I get the factory rails back on.

I do not have a set of 1.75 dies for my JD2 bender. I may order some 1.75" dies and build my own. Or I may just build some out of 1.5" dom.
I just have to get the oversized polished SS steps off of it!

Last edited:

JPaul

So it seems the factory rails completely mount to the body? That is a really weird design choice by GM. Guess they're not planning on anyone wheeling them very hard at all.

jakesz28

So it seems the factory rails completely mount to the body? That is a really weird design choice by GM. Guess they're not planning on anyone wheeling them very hard at all.

That is not totally uncommon. Some of the jeep rock rails are body attached. Same with the H1 rock sliders. All though those are straight flat body reinforcements. Not sure why GM went body mounted instead of frame mounted like the H3's.

jakesz28

Well AEV just released the skid plates on their web site. So I ordered the engine, transmission and transfer case skids. They are proud of them but I am still 20k less then a new Bison ZR2, would have been.

Did I not mention this was bought for my wife? LOL. Well the other day I had to drive over a downed tree or turn around and back track. Went over the tree, but after looking under the ZR2, I realized how exposed everything was and it needed some protection.

Last edited:

jakesz28

is it just 3 pieces that we need?

You do not need to replace the engine skid unless you want steel instead of aluminum. I choose to get the steel engine skid. Some guys are not replacing the engine skid. It offers the exact same protection just a different material.

The exhaust crossover protection is covered by the transmission skid. So I choose not to buy the round tube.

They also sell the gas tank skid and the dif skid plate. I will buy those later. Already spent to much money this month. LOL. So they sell 6 different skid plates if you want everything. I ordered them Tuesday and got them Saturday. The 3 plates I ordered had a 59 lb shipping weight.

jakesz28

Got the skid plates mounted today. Probably took 2.5 hours. Only had to drill 3 holes for the transfer case skid. Happy with the way stuff fits. Now the ABS module and charcoal filter are protected. I should have ordered the gas tank skid plate at the same time.