• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Another solid axle build...

4speedfunk

By the way...this engagement system on the Eaton E-locker is for the GM 8.6 10-bolt diff only. The front GM 7.6 IFS uses something very similar. However, the Dana 44 Eaton E-locker uses an entirely different locking system, and the pins are not as prone to rounding off as they are on the GM 8.6. The design Eaton chooses to use, seems to be specific to each axle (D44, D60, D30, 10b, 12b, etc). So not all Eaton E-lockers engage this same way, and these photos may not apply to axles other than the GM 8.6.

4speedfunk

f60f91084c41a3b749c3a06b0235c70d.jpg

Back on the ground. Startup went fairly smooth. Got some alignment and break-in tasks to do. This truck was APART! So initial test drives will be slow and cautious. Lots of test drives with each one getting longer & faster than the one before.
Building a capable off-roader is fairly easy. Building one that drives, handles, and gets groceries just as well as it crawls...takes a lot more attention to detail. Many guys would be tempted to just drop it down and find some mud. But the real tuning & tweaking work starts here. Double check. Triple check. Making tiny adjustments to drag link, tie-rod, trackbar, steering system, ride height, etc. Bleed, re-bleed, etc....trying to find all the imperfections and get them corrected. There will never be a better time to do this, so patience and persistence is the name of the game.
ba752bb30821086439eef6da7f0412b3.jpg

3c6ad7a2f63ea780fc109886384c938d.jpg

e148405c6625d1a8d6b9db8e15579268.jpg

87ed9fe8a4c03542ea8fc981cc67d44e.jpg

d0223cfb4788127e6c5c6bd51d255a39.jpg

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
How’s that redhead steering box? I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on one. It seems even rebuilt boxes can still have play but redhead takes care of that.

They claim, when replacing the worn ball bearings in the box the actual worm gear gets worn down so it still leaves some play. Putting in oversized ball bearings takes care of that.

atvspeed4

How’s that redhead steering box? I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on one. It seems even rebuilt boxes can still have play but redhead takes care of that.

They claim, when replacing the worn ball bearings in the box the actual worm gear gets worn down so it still leaves some play. Putting in oversized ball bearings takes care of that.
On h2 builds we have had issues with red head boxes. My business partner's is leaking again after Moab

4speedfunk

I’ll do a full review after I get some miles on it. I can say it is very tight with ZERO play compared to most others I’ve installed. It’s also got crooked fittings for the ram assist. Like the holes were drilled & tapped by Helen Keller. I doubt if it effects performance but I expect more for the crazy price.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Jesus, you have got the Midwest and east coast handled with a good amount of SAS hummers driving around.

The west coast is getting left behind on custom rigs. Bebe, serge, myself and Dana 60 H3. I think that’s about it.

4speedfunk

Don’t forget Panzer! Not sure where that guy went. Last photos I saw did not look promising. The front axle had broken free and it was all wadded up under the transmission. The damage looked bad. Real bad.