• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Anyone owned an FJ, or wheeled with one? How do they compare?

Jeepwalker

Not looking to get rid of the H3 in any way, shape or form, but maybe this will provide some discussion. Just curious how they compare both off-road and as a daily driver? Not necessarily just 'toughness' but comfort and annoyances? I looked one over fairly close years ago and wasn't overly impressed at the time, but I didn't test drive it either.

Just curious your thoughts?

atvspeed4

Not looking to get rid of the H3 in any way, shape or form, but maybe this will provide some discussion. Just curious how they compare both off-road and as a daily driver? Not necessarily just 'toughness' but comfort and annoyances? I looked one over fairly close years ago and wasn't overly impressed at the time, but I didn't test drive it either.

Just curious your thoughts?
I've wheeled with them and almost bought one years ago. They have a hard time fitting large tires without $$$$. I found that they do not flex as easily as an h3 on the trail and what really convinced me to go with an h3 over the fj was the interior quality and goofy layout of the dash. The silly half rear doors annoyed me as well.

amrg

Let me add to atvspeed, over here the fj is an extremely popular car as its very forgiving on the bumps. But it is less refined and lets in more road noise. It is faster than a regular h3 and get off quickly
It does have a big aftermarket though

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

BW_Hummer H3

I own one and I really like it for daily driving duty. More room in the interior and smooth compared to my H3, but the fj is stock. Definitely more road noise on the highway. Much quicker than the h3 around town and much better mpgs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have wheeled with them several times. Not bad off-road looking but the driver's were novices and did not push the vehicles at all. They wouldn't even go through 18-20" of water. Something about a low air intake? I have not really been with anyone that pushed one. The Pyscho Squad hosted a FJ event in Big Bear one year at Psycho Ranch. They were running a bunch of different trails on Big Bear Mountain. A "hard core " group of about 11 out of 150 vehicles was going to run John Bull. They asked me to lead that run. I declined. They went to the Gatekeeper and all turned around and left to run other trails. How good are they off-road...not sure, probably about as good as the driver.

cbetts

NERD!!!
We had a friend wheel with us on a regular basis in SoCal. He was running a 2" lift (old Man Emu) and running 33"s. He was still able to do more obstacles that my H3 on 35"s due to having a better breakover angle.

Vdawg1115

My wife used to want one, until we sat in and test drove one. Interior is definitely cheaper looking and feeling than an H3. If there was ever a vehicle with worse visibility than the H3. Lol

Aftermarket support is good though. I have a few friends who drive them. Great for one or two people, not more than that. Sacrifices rear leg room but definitely has a bigger cargo area than the H3. They can wheel anywhere an H3 can, I feel the H3 is better when it gets really rocky though. I never really liked how they looked. Kinda goofy looking with the white top, but that’s just m

humvee

Yes, you can hide a house behind those A pillars.

That said I really like the FJ, its 4.0 gives plenty of power, and its lighter than the H3.
Tested it off-road on two occasion, and really pushed it (dunes not wheeling), nothing bad to say about its performance.

I've heard from many people that they roll easily on the dunes, but it didn't seem so to me.
IMG_4537.JPG