• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Guess Elcova's gone, huh?

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
It started being nonviable quite some time ago. New sigh-ups getting kicked back, folks unable to log on, so on and so forth.

While not one I posted on much, I was always over there reading.

So there are like 5 forums left now, yes?

With one of those being pretty much dedicated to H1's and the like and one being on life support.

Hate to see all of that knowledge disappear.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
I would go there on occasion when I got a notice that there was a posting on one or two threads I left messages on. However, I stopped going there on a normal basis when some of the members started to get extremely nasty with some friends I knew. It turned from a decent site to a trash site faster than that "other site."

guruerror

...but there was a lot of good info there. I wish we could get our hands on that stuff. I mean, our trucks aren't so much different from other GM 2500s...but it's good to have that 'specific' info when needed.

...and so many other sites are dwindling. This is one of the last good resources...if we could tap some of the sh!t from other failing sites it would be to our benefit.

...if we could get it, I could figure out how to host it...or at least scavenge it for info that could be re-posted.

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Everyone just wants to get the information on Facebook but you can't pull that info back up, research it, etc. I took down our FB page for that reason, plus half of the responses to questions were grossly incorrect and misleading. Many of the forums that continue to exist were sold to corporations that have loaded them up with ads making the forum hard to use. The traffic here is very low and the revenue has gone to zero, which is fine. Previously we received nominal revenue from the links to products on Amazon, eBay, etc. and that revenue offset our modest costs. But without traffic coming to forums there's little reason for owners to keep them up. This forum isn't going away.

So remember, every time you post your Hummer topics solely on Facebook you bring a forum one step closer to death :wink:. (Okay, I exaggerated that one a bit)

JPaul

Facebook is for stalking old girlfriends and keeping tabs on old friends and family members (both immediate and extended) without having to actually stay in touch with them. I don't consider it a source of information for anything else unless it's a company page, and even then...

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alex you are right. Every post on Facebook pushes a related forum closer to death. If a Facebook page doesn't drive people to the forum it is a negative for the forum.
I would not even know who to contact to try to retrieve the Elcova content, if it is even still available.

guruerror

"Elcova", I haven't heard that name in a very long time...

Hi Doug

Yeah...but that's the forum I started on...it will always have a place in my heart (LOL!). It was a good resource for me back in the day; but H40 looks like a good spot to land. I just wish I could grab some of my old posts from that site to re-post here. I used to like to take a lot of pics and document steps when I took sh!t apart...mostly 'cause I found that sh!t so useful when i was working.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guru that stuff will break again and you can recreate your old threads here. I just changed a half shaft on the HMMWV. Did not even think to document it. Anybody needs help on one let me know. Pretty easy.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
"Elcova", I haven't heard that name in a very long time...

Hi Doug

That was my first Hummer forum, and I believe that's where we all started talking about Moab. (Although I had been to Moab before in my Jeep and a Chevy Blazer.)
MiId4GL.jpg

But it sure turned nasty....