• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Oltorf's H2 Build

High Five H2

I bought my H2 in December and took it to Moab this week. I have a small to-do list that I want to get done before next year and a big wish list that might get done... eventually :)

I bought it lifted (don't know the lift) with 40" tires, a slant back bed cover, and a factory brush guard. Other than that, it seems to be stock. There were some lights installed but they're gone now, so i need to get rid of the extra wiring and see what else has been modified electrically.

Here's the PO's IG - it has some pics of the truck before he sold it and took all the equipment off. I messaged back and forth with him a few times and got some good info. Dunno if he's a member here. https://www.instagram.com/frp_t1_hummer/

So here's the list so far, and if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. I'm still a noob to H2s.

Before next off-road trip:
  • DMAX HD tie-rods (heh, lesson learned from experience)
  • 4.56 gears - looking at shops right now. I might have to drive to lubbock, 2 hours away :-/
  • Rubberduck Underbody
  • rocky road sliders - i've heard these aren't all that tough so I'm not sure.

Before next road trip:
  • [strike]Better stereo - I NEED my carplay!![/strike]

Eventually:
  • [strike]LED fog lights - the PO was using it for a search and rescue truck and the old ones were blue and red but now they're gone.[/strike]
  • [strike]Blacked out LED roof lights - mine might be leaking and 1 is out so I might as well. I have solidly jumped on the black-out bandwagon.[/strike]
  • Winch and bumper. [strike]I think warn makes a hidden winch bumper[/strike] I've heard the warn bumper is weak and it looks like it was discontinued. The PO just hooked up a winch to the front hitch. I'll probably just do that. It's simpler and I could swap it to the back if I want.
  • Predator brush guard
  • Fender flares
  • Some kind of beadlock wheels. I think OMF performance can modify my current wheels.

"Win the lottery" wish list:
  • Dmax swap
  • SAS - still looking at options. I'm planning on this for when it's paid off. I can get it re-geared and move the front axle slightly forward at the same time.

Thanks everyone! Pics coming soon. My IG is below, there are a few pics there. Also a bunch of workout type pics so stay away if you don't want to see that much of me.

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
It was great meeting you and Moab was a good place for you to learn about upgrades you need vs. just guesses of what you might want. I think you have the Fabtech 6" lift, but I'm also not sure. I'm not sure where others put a CB in the 08 H2s; it was easier in the older models as owners ripped out the analog Onstar system but you are set up differently. Maybe it's just with 3M tape on the top of the dash, using the CB mounting bracket (assuming it has one like most full size CBs have). Rubberduck makes some great H2 underbody protection for your consideration http://www.rubberduck4x4.com/product-category/h2-hummer/underbody-protection-h2-hummer/.

Dibs on your 6.2 if you swap!

JPaul

Black Sheep week in Moab is my "Accelerated Maintenance Program", it's a great place to find out what was getting to the end of its life or was a weak link in a relatively safe situation. Better to break down amongst friends than on the side of a freeway during rush hour.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MilamJR

Hope to be there next year with you. Take a look at Dmax tie rods. I have been happy with them. Check out Rugged Radio. I have their magnetic mount. You can put it where you want, remove it when you want and if you forget to take it off before going somewhere with low clearance it just gets knocked off. Would not want to rely on the factory rock sliders. I had someone locally build some for me and they worked great when I was at Moab last May. I will attach a couple of pictures.
9e20a94a224fc44a8b2adb51c51653a3.jpg
8537583f71a17373273031b347a222ab.jpg
Hopefully getting the rubber duck undercarriage protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High Five H2

It was great meeting you and Moab was a good place for you to learn about upgrades you need vs. just guesses of what you might want. I think you have the Fabtech 6" lift, but I'm also not sure. I'm not sure where others put a CB in the 08 H2s; it was easier in the older models as owners ripped out the analog Onstar system but you are set up differently. Maybe it's just with 3M tape on the top of the dash, using the CB mounting bracket (assuming it has one like most full size CBs have). Rubberduck makes some great H2 underbody protection for your consideration http://www.rubberduck4x4.com/product-category/h2-hummer/underbody-protection-h2-hummer/.

Dibs on your 6.2 if you swap!

I'll probably stick it on the dash with tape. Rubberduck skids are added to my list. And I may just hold onto that 6.2 if I ever get another H3 �� otherwise it's yours.

Black Sheep week in Moab is my "Accelerated Maintenance Program", it's a great place to find out what was getting to the end of its life or was a weak link in a relatively safe situation. Better to break down amongst friends than on the side of a freeway during rush hour.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That's definitely true. It's nice to be around people who know what might be wrong.

Hope to be there next year with you. Take a look at Dmax tie rods. I have been happy with them. Check out Rugged Radio. I have their magnetic mount. You can put it where you want, remove it when you want and if you forget to take it off before going somewhere with low clearance it just gets knocked off. Would not want to rely on the factory rock sliders. I had someone locally build some for me and they worked great when I was at Moab last May. I will attach a couple of pictures.
9e20a94a224fc44a8b2adb51c51653a3.jpg
8537583f71a17373273031b347a222ab.jpg
Hopefully getting the rubber duck undercarriage protection.

I added Dmax tie rods to my list, and I'll look into the rock rails.

Thanks everyone! It looks like I'll have to drive to dallas or something for my gear swap or learn to do it myself. No shops from here to Lubbock will do it. They're all too busy.

Big2dabank

I just use a handheld cb for portability, but you can ditch the onstar in the 07 or earlier models and there are a few cbs that will fit nicely in that slot.

Big2dabank

An older version, but yes that's the one. After having had them on the truck for around 7 or 8 years maybe longer, I have never had an issue until the end of last year, basically all of the ball joins were shot and had finally worn to the point I needed them replaced quickly. Kryptonite was awesome on the replacements units and had me a news set of rod ends within a couple of days. I went ahead and bought them upfront to get them in quickly to avoid any downtime on my rig. I am working with them on the units I am sending back to refund me since they are lifetime warranty parts. I expect that process to go pretty smooth as well.

High Five H2

I put a new stereo in. It doesn’t look obnoxious. I even got the buttons to match the factory green ones so it looks sort of factory.

edf84a0a0ec573f9239cd4d40b5e347e.jpg

This weekend I’m going to drop it off at a shop to get it regeared. Should be done Memorial Day weekend so I might be able to do some wheeling near Austin, if anyone wants to go.

Attachments

• IMG_2311.jpg
    IMG_2311.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 419

High Five H2

Well i got about an hour into my drive to Austin and my fuel pump module went out. I turned it off and back on and it drove for a few min and then crapped out again. I waited about a half hour and then it restarted so I drove it back home (sweating the whole way). I did some research while I was waiting and it looks like there's a recall for the fuel pump module for 08-10 Hummers. So that sucks, but I'm lucky I wasn't farther away from home and that there was a recall. I'm going to call on Tuesday and see if I'm covered. Mostly I'm glad I made it home without paying a $450 tow!! I'll post up with what I find on the recall since it applies to H3s and H2s. I'd never heard of it until now.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
H2 doesn’t have recall on them

First one failed after off-road trip
(Supposably got water through crack)-warranty
Second one failed ~1 year ago
Truck just stoped on light coming off freeway and wouldn’t start.( I didn’t hear fuel pump when ignition is on)
Towed to hotel, next morning started up like nothing happened hasn’t happen again.
I changed it ~1 month ago when I started seeing codes related to that module. (Mostly MIL codes)
Plus it doesn’t seems to be mileage related but age.
It has to be programmed on car.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Well i got about an hour into my drive to Austin and my fuel pump module went out. I turned it off and back on and it drove for a few min and then crapped out again. I waited about a half hour and then it restarted so I drove it back home (sweating the whole way). I did some research while I was waiting and it looks like there's a recall for the fuel pump module for 08-10 Hummers. So that sucks, but I'm lucky I wasn't farther away from home and that there was a recall. I'm going to call on Tuesday and see if I'm covered. Mostly I'm glad I made it home without paying a $450 tow!! I'll post up with what I find on the recall since it applies to H3s and H2s. I'd never heard of it until now.
Recall or TSB? Haven't heard of that recall either.

scoreh3

I never got a notification for my H3. But then again I have had stuff covered under what GM dealers call a non-notification recall. A very customer friendly service writer told me that my repairs ( on my Pontiac) would be covered under a recall they didn’t make public. I also had a repair on my H3 covered the same way. GM did refuse to reimburse me for the cost of the parts on my first A/C blower resister and plug repair ( I did it my self for about $30 in parts and maybe a half hour of my time). After they recalled them they did my 2nd repair under the recall.

speedy

Sir Welds a Lot
[h=1]Enter your Vin[/h]https://my.chevrolet.com/recalls
Or

GM Recall Check

Call for recall assistance on Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. EST.

• Buick: 1-800-521-7300; TTY 800-832-8425.
  • Cadillac: 1-800-458-8006; TTY 800-833-2622.
  • Chevrolet: 1-800-222-1020; TTY 800-833-2438.
  • GMC: 1-800-462-8782; TTY 800-462-8583.
  • Hummer: 1-800-732-5493; TTY 800-833-6537.

SlcHummer

And not breaking/losing something @ 50+ mph

amrg

It does mention in the details that is for 2010 models only (H2,H3,H3T) so I guess it applies to a very small amount of people. Im not aware of 2010 H2s though

Zach

Mall Crawler
It does mention in the details that is for 2010 models only (H2,H3,H3T) so I guess it applies to a very small amount of people. Im not aware of 2010 H2s though

Definitely wouldn’t apply to the 2010 H2, seeing that the last year for it was 2009[emoji15]

High Five H2

OK, I got a new FSCM and i'm going to install it... eventually. It looks like the torx bolts were installed from inside the frame, so I'm guessing you unbolt them backwards using torx sockets, or something? Seems like a really strange way for the module to be installed. Am I going to do it wrong? What am I missing here?

High Five H2

Maybe I should wait two days to make this post so it's exactly 2 years since my last update... :giggle:

I missed the last Moab trip because I got laid off, but since then I took a job in Indiana. However, I have a contingent job offer in *drumroll* Salt lake city!!! It starts in December, if this company gets this government contract. It's a better job in a great location, mostly because Moab (and my family and wife's family or whatever) are so much closer.

I haven't done much with the H2 other than making small repairs. I added a higher output alternator and I'm going to do a big 3 or big 4 wiring upgrade. That will be better for adding a winch and other electric stuff and maybe it will solve a grounding issue that's causing my slow battery drain. Basically everything has been on hold for the last year or more because of the covid and getting laid off and all that.

High Five H2

I took a different job and I'm back in Texas again. I just got one of those rear-view monitor/camera things installed so I can see backwards. I can actually drive the thing in parking lots now. I got the battery drain checked out and it looks like there isn't a problem. I also installed a 250 amp alternator and did the big-4 wiring upgrade so I can start adding electric accessories. winch, lights, etc. I guess a second battery would be cool, too.

High Five H2

Updates. I thought the Power Wagon axle thing was interesting. The wiring seems to be the same, plus it has LSD when the locker is off. 4.11 gears from the factory.

"Win the lottery" wish list:
  • Dmax swap
  • SAS - I got an estimate, and it's pricey. I think I could use a 2014+ dodge power wagon rear axle and wire up the locker to the factory harness and keep the factory switches. Some company makes a SAS kit for GM 2500s that works with an H2 with some modification. Rockhound off-road did an H2 SAS before and that's who I got the quote from.
Before next off-road trip:
  • 4.56 gears
  • Rubberduck Underbody
  • rocky road sliders
  • DMAX HD tie-rods (heh, lesson learned from experience)
Eventually:
  • Predator brush guard - ordered
  • Winch
  • Some kind of beadlock wheels. I think OMF performance can modify my current wheels.
  • Fender flares
  • LED fog lights - the PO was using it for a search and rescue truck and the old ones were blue and red but now they're gone.
  • Blacked out LED roof lights - mine might be leaking and 1 is out so I might as well. I have solidly jumped on the black-out bandwagon.