Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
    Low Profile
    Thanks

CB and HAM radio antenna placement

So who has a good setup for CB and HAM radio in their rig? I currently have CB installed with a junk magnetic antenna that I ran the cable up the A-Pillar cover and stuck on the corner of the roof. It was quick and dirty with the cable running through the weather stripping but only after about a month this is proving to be a very bad decision. I thought about a whip on the back but I don't like the looks of those. I'm contemplating a fire stick or similar and mounting off the brush guard. I'm also in the process of planning out the HAM radio setup and need a placement for that antenna as well. Wondering if the opposite side of the brush guard would be decent there as well. I haven't come across any fender mount brackets specific for the H3 but that could be an option as well. Obviously the higher the better but I still want to be able to park in the garage and not have to worry about low hanging trees.

Whatcha got??
    Just another father and family man that enjoys the outdoors.

Bogger
    Thanks
    Best location for any antenna as far as signal propagation and reception goes is going to be on top of the roof, period. Anything else is a compromise. Your goal is going to be to get the antenna as high as practical with as little sheet metal parallel to it. I have my CB antenna and have had my 2m antenna mounted to my roof basket and bonded to the roof sheetmetal. Not a perfect setup, but good enough.

Here is a good site that will tell you more than you probably want to know: http://www.k0bg.com/

If you're not too worried about signal then brush guard is OK, but off the fender or hood would be better.
    2008 H3 Alpha

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - General John Stark

N1JPA

El Diablo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,696 Posts
    I use a magnetic antenna on my roof rack. Reloader fabbed a right angle plate for me that is bolted to the rack. When in use, the magnet sticks to the base of the plate. When not in use, I turn the antenna horizontal and stick is to the vertical part of the plate for storage. Cable runs along the roof rack, under the roof trim and down the A pillar. Borrowed the idea from Dwaine.

Low Profile
    Thanks
    I used a Roc Doc spare tire mount, added a FireStick quick disconnect since Im not running the antenna 24/7
    http://rocdoc.net/Product_three.htm