• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

CB and HAM radio antenna placement

adventuredad

So who has a good setup for CB and HAM radio in their rig? I currently have CB installed with a junk magnetic antenna that I ran the cable up the A-Pillar cover and stuck on the corner of the roof. It was quick and dirty with the cable running through the weather stripping but only after about a month this is proving to be a very bad decision. I thought about a whip on the back but I don't like the looks of those. I'm contemplating a fire stick or similar and mounting off the brush guard. I'm also in the process of planning out the HAM radio setup and need a placement for that antenna as well. Wondering if the opposite side of the brush guard would be decent there as well. I haven't come across any fender mount brackets specific for the H3 but that could be an option as well. Obviously the higher the better but I still want to be able to park in the garage and not have to worry about low hanging trees.

Whatcha got??

JPaul

Best location for any antenna as far as signal propagation and reception goes is going to be on top of the roof, period. Anything else is a compromise. Your goal is going to be to get the antenna as high as practical with as little sheet metal parallel to it. I have my CB antenna and have had my 2m antenna mounted to my roof basket and bonded to the roof sheetmetal. Not a perfect setup, but good enough.

Here is a good site that will tell you more than you probably want to know: http://www.k0bg.com/

If you're not too worried about signal then brush guard is OK, but off the fender or hood would be better.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I use a magnetic antenna on my roof rack. Reloader fabbed a right angle plate for me that is bolted to the rack. When in use, the magnet sticks to the base of the plate. When not in use, I turn the antenna horizontal and stick is to the vertical part of the plate for storage. Cable runs along the roof rack, under the roof trim and down the A pillar. Borrowed the idea from Dwaine.