• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

2019 Black Sheep Moab - recap and pictures

LagunaH1

I am incredibly pleased with how the Jeep performed this week. The biggest takeaway / area of improvement, is that the T-case doesn't offer the crawl ratio I want. So... I'll be looking at the various options. I *think* the Jeep also may have a leaky heater core as I'm loosing a little bit of coolant, and it sometimes smells odd inside the Jeep.

jakesz28

This was another fun trip. Five days and five trails. Today we did some other stuff and all loaded ready to head home in the morning. This is the second time here and the H3 did well. The rear locker was a big improvement. Now the question is what to do before I return?

I want to thank Alex, Beeb's, Dave, Neo, and everyone that keeps this group together and arranges these outings.

Thanks

JPaul

This was another fun trip. Five days and five trails. Today we did some other stuff and all loaded ready to head home in the morning. This is the second time here and the H3 did well. The rear locker was a big improvement. Now the question is what to do before I return?

I want to thank Alex, Beeb's, Dave, Neo, and everyone that keeps this group together and arranges these outings.

Thanks

Front selectable locker. I am going ARB in mine so my Eaton's will be up for grabs shortly (need to rebuild the rear Eaton of course). I've updated my build thread with all the carnage I found in the rear.

LagunaH1

Another memorable Moab trip is almost over. Jeep is loaded, trailer hooked up and the bags are packed. The real world is looming and I really don’t want to head home.

I’m already planning things for the Jeep and can’t wait to bring it back out next year

Thank you Alex, Beebs, Neo and Dave for keeping this group going.

It was great seeing everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Here's XPLR7 on Wipeout Hill. Smooth! Not an easy climb. We've had an 06 bend a tie rod here, and another snap a half shaft

[video=youtube_share;E61YHXHH_rg]https://youtu.be/E61YHXHH_rg[/video]

MilamJR

Here's XPLR7 on Wipeout Hill. Smooth! Not an easy climb. We've had an 06 bend a tie rod here, and another snap a half shaft

[video=youtube_share;E61YHXHH_rg]https://youtu.be/E61YHXHH_rg[/video]

Good spotting + good driving = smooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The final day of wheeling was down to Jason, XPLR7 and me. We did Seven Mile Rim Trail, a moderate trail with lots of ledges and a few obstacles. The biggest optional one is Wipeout Hill, which you saw in the video above. It's been known to roll vehicles, and break tie rods and CVs on H3s. It was very sandy today but XPLR7 crawled right up with no issues.

Here's Jason on a small ledge
Seven%20Mile%20Rim%20042619%20%281%29-L.jpg

XPLR7 on a nice overlook
Seven%20Mile%20Rim%20042619%20%2816%29-L.jpg

And getting a nice shot of my H3
Seven%20Mile%20Rim%20042619%20%288%29-L.jpg

Jason at Burnt Toast, a squeeze too narrow for H1s.
Seven%20Mile%20Rim%20042619%20%2818%29-L.jpg

XPLR7 on a hill that turns you sideways against the hill. As you drive towards this hill, it really looks bad, like "I ain't doing that!" But it's not too bad as long as you keep a steady throttle.
Seven%20Mile%20Rim%20042619%20%2823%29-L.jpg

Me, posing my H3
Seven%20Mile%20Rim%20042619%20%2813%29-L.jpg

Jason
Seven%20Mile%20Rim%20042619%20%2824%29-L.jpg

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Great pics! Super bummed I missed it. Work has been crazy and was lucky enough to get away this weekend for some wheeling. A full week in Moab would have been better though :)

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Here's the Hell's Gate video. Of course I forgot to press record when I was heading up :banghead:

[video=youtube_share;tUTLv07AXek]https://youtu.be/tUTLv07AXek[/video]

SlcHummer

The final day of wheeling was down to Jason, XPLR7 and me. We did Seven Mile Rim Trail, a moderate trail with lots of ledges and a few obstacles. The biggest optional one is Wipeout Hill, which you saw in the video above. It's been known to roll vehicles, and break tie rods and CVs on H3s. It was very sandy today but XPLR7 crawled right up with no issues.

I did not know this! For my first trail in Moab in my 06 H3 I did metal masher and then backwards bill, including up and down wipe out hill without any issues, but the next day on poison spider mesa I bent a tie rod. Wonder if I lucked out on wipe out hill and my tie rod issues became present afterwards on poison spider mesa because of wear. Luckily I had 16mm spares so we could repair on the trail but in hind sight should've swapped out the stock 14mm tie rods for the 16mm before Moab...lesson learned.

That was back in Oct 2017, I then missed a Moab run in April and Oct 2018 because of best man duties and rig repairs/upgrades. Finally got my rig back in Moab this past weekend (4/26-4/28), although I missed meeting up with everyone for black sheep week other than alrock...thanks again. This time I did come equipped with some Outfitter Design HD tie rods, so hopefully my bent tie rod issues are behind me...and that was true for this trip :).

SlcHummer

Was out in Moab from 4/26-4/28 and got to meet alrock, hopefully I'll get to meet the rest of the group next year.

My group started out on Friday with Cliff Hanger...man was that a trail/mistake lol. We spent 3 hours moving basically 1/4 of a mile on the first 4 obstacles and decided to turn back since not all of us were equipped with $40k suspension rigs like one of my friends jeep. I made it down the first 3 obstacles, using a bypass on the first but after crossing a creek we got to an obstacle that the jeep barely made it up. The rest of us where not as dedicated so we flipped it around. I ended up needing a strap back up the 1st and 3rd obstacle as I needed a tad bit more travel in my rear wheels...hoping some rear sway bar disconnects and extended brake lines will provide some help there in the future.

We then finished off the day with Kane Creek Canyon, which was a success however I again needed a strap/tug to get over a rock I high centered on lol. In my defense apparently the jeep that tugged me out also high centered at the same spot on a previous run last year. I would also like to add that the schwarttzy heavy duty skid plates again lived up to their reputation while I was high centered and also while I was dragged/tugged off that rock. I would buy these skid plates again in a heart beat if needed, so those on the fence definitely worth it! I'll post some pics of my updated skid plate look a bit later on.

For our last day of wheeling we did 3D, figuring this would give the group a nice long/relaxing trail to enjoy after a hectic day on cliff hanger and cane creek. The weather was great that I was able to throw the tube doors on, although it made a mess of my interior but I have no regrets :). I did lose my front license plate, bent the hell out of my back license plate, and smashed a good part of my nfab "rock sliders" which did the job this time around but I need to replace with something heavier duty before too long. I also took a good amount of video from my gopro which I'll post a link to when I get a chance to upload it.

IMG_2145.jpg
IMG_2147.jpg
IMG_2149.jpg
IMG_2153.jpg
IMG_2155.jpg
IMG_2156.jpg
IMG_2159.jpg
IMG_2169.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2144.jpg
    IMG_2144.jpg
    910.2 KB · Views: 377

atvspeed4

That 4th obstacle sucked. The group ahead of us said they were regulars and never seen a Hummer make it up that without being dragged. I was able to make it up by driving up the far right cliff face without a strap but it was so steep that my spare tire was touching the ground and a serious pucker factor