• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Outfitter Design Front Driveshaft

SoCalH3

Has anyone ever bought the Outfitter Design HD Front Driveshaft? After almost 5 years of owning & wheeling my 08 H3 Alpha, the front driveshaft is the first thing to fail off-roading this past weekend.

I bought another stock one before coming across the Heavy Duty one from Outfitter Design. I am thinking of buying one of theirs to install and keep the stock one as a spare. I haven't come across an
y posts...

At $550 it would be worth it if it works, but I'm not sure I want to be the first to try it. Have many people had their driveshaft fail more than once?

Thanks!

Jeepwalker

Just curious in what way did your existing driveshaft fail ...specifically?
How many miles on your rig?
What size tires are you running?

I haven't taken mine apart to lube it up, but am considering it.

Thanks!!

SoCalH3

It was the CV Joint that failed. I went ahead and replaced the entire driveshaft. I have 90K on my current 08 H3 with 35's.

I had Outfitter Design Tie Rods on my 06 and was very happy with those. I had all of the typical problems on that Rig (Tie Rods, Steering Rack, Cross Member, etc), but I think that a lot of it was from having 35's on 18" Rims. On my 08, I kept the stock 16" rims and the extra side wall flex has made all the difference. No problems to date except this driveshaft problem.

atvspeed4

We are unfortunately out of stock on the driveshafts for now. The last run sold out much quicker than we expected. We developed the driveshaft after moving the weakest link upstream. Both of our test rigs are running 37s, our HD front diff and one has a 6.0L and 6L90 with a front air locker.

atvspeed4

More info????

Ill post up more info soon in another thread. We have been testing two versions of a HD dana 44 based diff for the stock ifs for a few years now. We are changing it up one more time as we broke a front stub shaft in Moab but hope to FINALLY get these on the market this fall. Due to the difference in crossmembers, at first they will only be available for non-rancho trucks unfortunately. And no, lol there is no sketchy u-bolts holding the pinion down and it uses off the shelf cv shafts.

JPaul

Ill post up more info soon in another thread. We have been testing two versions of a HD dana 44 based diff for the stock ifs for a few years now. We are changing it up one more time as we broke a front stub shaft in Moab but hope to FINALLY get these on the market this fall. Due to the difference in crossmembers, at first they will only be available for non-rancho trucks unfortunately. And no, lol there is no sketchy u-bolts holding the pinion down and it uses off the shelf cv shafts.

Any price range on it? $500? $1000? $5,000?

atvspeed4

Any price range on it? $500? $1000? $5,000?

One million dollars...each

Not sure on updated pricing yet with the larger shafts. We just finally want this project done and done right so I told the manufacture I dont care on R&D cost just get the new updates done and ready for our June 1st wheeling trip in NH.

Alpha X

We developed the driveshaft after moving the weakest link upstream. Both of our test rigs are running 37s, our HD front diff and one has a 6.0L and 6L90 with a front air locker.

We have been testing two versions of a HD dana 44 based diff for the stock ifs for a few years now. We are changing it up one more time as we broke a front stub shaft in Moab but hope to FINALLY get these on the market this fall. Due to the difference in crossmembers, at first they will only be available for non-rancho trucks unfortunately.

Not sure on updated pricing yet with the larger shafts. We just finally want this project done and done right so I told the manufacture I dont care on R&D cost just get the new updates done and ready for our June 1st wheeling trip in NH.

I'm looking forward to the thread about this.

amrg

Any updates on how the 6l80/90 is installed on the tcase?I want to swap to a 6L but thats my holdup!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

SoCalH3

I am having problems with the OEM driveshaft that I installed last year. It’s making the same noise as it did right before it failed. Are the front drive shafts available now? Thanks

atvspeed4

I am having problems with the OEM driveshaft that I installed last year. It’s making the same noise as it did right before it failed. Are the front drive shafts available now? Thanks
Unfortunately no, the company that was machining the flange/ yoke for us isn't around anymore so we now need to order in large runs from another shop. Waiting for a few more people to show an interest and then going to place the order

SoCalH3

Ok thanks for the reply. I'll keep an eye out. If anyone else is interested they can reply to this thread so you have an idea for in the future. I check in occasionally

Vdawg1115

I actually have an Outfitter HD driveshaft sitting in my garage. Got it before the Rancho lift, now I can’t use it. DM me if you’re interested