• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Are those Ebay Manuals on CD any good?

Jeepwalker

Hey all, just as the title asks. I really don't have a problem plunking down a couple hundred bucks for the genuine service books, but I've got several service books for other vehicles, and almost never need them. So I hate to tie up money in them.

Is thee a particular CD manual that is pretty good? Is there a copy of OEM manuals on CD/DVD?

Thanks!

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Yes, GM had some OEM manuals that basically covered all vehicles they made in particular year. But I believe they stopped making them preferring to go only electronic to dealers, plus electronic to companies like Mitchell, Motors, etc., that purchased the rights.
The electronic method allowed GM to change the info on a daily basis if needed.
A lot of the non-OEM discs were not as thorough and were condensed.
One of the biggest problems of the GM OEM discs, like the ones I have, they only run on windows XP which was possible up to Windows 7 since you could load XP virtual. I have not figure out how to run them on 10.

So, if you decide on an old GM ESI disc, make sure you can run it on a computer you have.

(NOTE: I left GM in 2008 and many changes happened after I left so not sure about the latest disc they made. However, I did receive some discs after I left from ex-workers and they did require XP.

Traxx

The actual books have proven invaluable to me many times. The burned ebay discs have alot of generic descriptions.

Jeepwalker

The actual books have proven invaluable to me many times. The burned ebay discs have alot of generic descriptions.

I've noticed that too ....and the couple I have (non-H3) tend to leave out information I usually need, like wiring and emissions-related troubleshooting. That's why I'm kind of hesitant to get a CD. Are the CD manuals that claim to be Factory Service Manuals 'the same as the GM technicians use' really the same version as the paper books?

Thanks

Last edited:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
The actual GM DVDs I have say TECHLINE at the top, below that GENERAL MOTORS SERVICE INFORMATION
Below that DVD in red the SI with a four date code (example 2008.03 or 2008.10, etc.) Date code will show the date the DVD was pressed so a 2008.3 would mean March 2008. So all GM info up to March 2008 would be on that DVD and going back 10 years and will include ALL information on ALL GM vehicle produced in that 10 year period.
Bottom right of the Disc cover will have a large SI for SERVICE INFORMATION.

I believe 2012 was the last year, but I may be mistaken.
Helm incorporated used to sell the DVDs as well as a printed manual for all GM vehicles. Again, not sure if they still have any DVDs or even still publish and sell GM manuals.

However, like I noted earlier, GM DVDs all the GM DVDs I have required windows XP run. I could never get them to run on windows 7 unless I downloaded Microsoft's Virtual PC from Microsoft's site and then download their virtual XP Mode. It was free, but only worked on Windows 7 professional. I still have an older HP laptop that I run windows 7 with the Virtual PC and XP mode so I can run the DVDs if ever necessary.

I have never been able to get it to work on Windows 10.

Jeepwalker

Thanks. I'll keep my eye out for some.
I have some older laptops with XP/Win7 on them that would work. Sometimes legacy computers come in handy!