• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 [Electrical] Gremlins have arrived

chaynes

Ok... so I’ve been dealing with some very strange electrical issues lately and would like to throw them out there for discussion.

A couple days ago I was approaching the H3 and it wouldn’t respond to the key fob. I thought maybe the batteries were low in the fob, but after unlocking with the key and getting inside I noticed the CD player making some unusual noises, like it was going through the CDs. It started right up, but the time was reset and the HVAC controls were flashing. The flashing only lasted a minute and everything was back to normal.

Yesterday while driving to work I heard a loud popping noise from the speakers. A few seconds later I noticed the compass and thermometer in the mirror was displaying some strange characters. Then, very shortly after, the truck died. Luckily I was in the parking lot! But it started right back up like nothing had happened.

Those are the major issues. Minor issues include no dome lights, regardless of the wheel switch position or the dome light defeat. Also, the traction control button appears to be disconnected or something. It doesn’t do anything when pressed, but I can see the light on the dash when I start the vehicle.

For starters I’m going to investigate the grounds, but if anyone has any suggestions I’m all ears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Start with the battery terminals, both positive and negative. Make sure they are tight to the battery and that the cables are tight in the terminals. Get the battery tested as well. A weak charging system in the H3 creates a lot of weird symptoms.

Jeepwalker

Good effective gounding to the engine, body and frame is also hyper-critical. Don't overlook that.

chaynes

Thanks for the replies. This morning, radio made more popping noises as I started the engine and clock was reset to 12:00. The ‘service TPM’ warning was also reset, I was spared looking at that for a bit at least! So strange...
I will stop by OReillys to check out the battery and alternator. Looks like the battery was made in ‘15 so it’s probably the culprit. I have new cable ends, those were installed not long ago. I will double check them though. I’m looking at all these symptoms trying to come up with a possible common source and it seems like maybe it’s the battery....odd though since I have not had issues cranking it.

chaynes

Good effective gounding to the engine, body and frame is also hyper-critical. Don't overlook that.

Thanks Jeepwalker... I looked and many of those components share the same ground (g106 in the diagrams) so definitely worth checking out while I am at it....

chaynes

Ok, so I inspected the battery cable, it was a little loose to the point where I could rotate it by hand so I tightened it. Since I had the time I also inspected the ground connection on the passenger wheel well. It was a bit corroded so I took it apart and cleaned it up. I prefer to try one thing at a time but since I had the opportunity I needed to take it.

So far no difference in the dome lights or trac control button.

I did notice the front wiper washer isn’t functioning. But it seems to come and go...

If I experience any additional issues (such as the radio time reset) I will update...

chaynes

After sitting all weekend the clock reset again when I started it up this morning. I now suspect the battery is just getting weak, will have it tested soon.