• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Advice on glue/epoxy repairs to front end plastic parts

Bingo

Probationary Member
Howdy,

Looking for recommendations for a glue/epoxy that I can use to repair cracked plastic parts for the front grill brace and bumper cover.

thank you,
jim

Attachments

• D67B4457-2056-4783-BAA6-BBB5AF6D877C.jpeg
    D67B4457-2056-4783-BAA6-BBB5AF6D877C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 363

JPaul

I have never had good luck repairing the engineered plastics used on vehicles these days. You're better off getting a replacement piece. If you don't want to go that route you could try hot stapling (search ebay for hot stapler, they have cheap ones but I have no idea how good they are). Regular heavy staples (like for a staple gun) heated up and pushed through then folded over to reinforce it then plastic epoxy over it might work too.

Traxx

Easy, the glue you need is made by GM specifically for things like this, the part number is: getanewone

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
It will probably cost more but this has given me hope for one off pieces in the future

3D printing, scan the item and have a new one printed for you. Especially since the h3 has all if these unique plastic pieces

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

chaynes

I just discovered a similar breakage behind my grille. It is low on the priority list but I plan to use loctite superglue. It hasn’t failed me yet. JB well if that doesn’t hold up, but JB weld won’t be as pretty!

Out of curiosity was your damage caused by an impact? I haven’t had mine very long and was wondering if mine had been run into something. Lower bumper plastic parts are looking poorly aligned so I suspect something was hit at some point, but wondering if it could be a more common issue with the H3 over time.

Mr_Rich

For the parts that are no 6 plastic/ PP; you can plastic weld them. It takes practice and there are plenty of YouTube videos to use as reference. The harder pieces like the external grille would have to be reinforced with glue or fiberglass in some way. Some parts aren't available any more so repairing them via plastic welding is the only option as I determined it. If you plastic weld you need to use the exact same plastic as fill material on the part you're welding. It's kind of a "controlled melt".

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
For the parts that are no 6 plastic/ PP; you can plastic weld them. It takes practice and there are plenty of YouTube videos to use as reference. The harder pieces like the external grille would have to be reinforced with glue or fiberglass in some way. Some parts aren't available any more so repairing them via plastic welding is the only option as I determined it. If you plastic weld you need to use the exact same plastic as fill material on the part you're welding. It's kind of a "controlled melt".

y0fB1wl.gif

I have seen technicians do wonders with a plastic welder, and I have also done some plastic repairs that I was amazed lasted for years with JB Weld.

If the part is not available, and you have no other option, then try a plastic welder if you want to pay a few hundred, it will probably come in handy many times; or try JB Weld it only costs a few bucks.

650Hawk

Since that part (pictured) is not visible, I'd just use some thin (1/16" or 3/32") aluminum and pop-rivets.