• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hummer H2 front hops

Ernie Norwood

Probationary Member
Thank you for letting me join your group! I’m a new member from Michigan I own a 2004 Hummer H2 . LOVE IT! Even though it’s had its problems. I’m wondering if anyone can give me some insight on a problem I may have. When I make right turns left or right forward or reverse it hops in front end. I’ve rebuilt transfer case and put new metal style fork in it , new switches, encoder motor checked tire size and PREASURE alignment wheel bearings hubs axle joints all is good. Could it be the nature of the beast or could there be something I’m missing. All 4x4 functions seem to operate great as they should and it drives beautiful just a hop in tight turns some times on dry ground it will bind up!!!!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Moved to H2 section.

Any chance there's a locker or similar device in the front diff? I'm thinking it's that or the diff rebuild wasn't done well. You could switch the transfer case to 4 Hi Lock, remove the front prop shaft and drive the vehicle. If it binds up, it's not the transfer case. If it doesn't bind up with the prop shaft installed, it's the transfer case.

MilamJR

I have a 2004 H2 and it only does that if the front diff is locked on pavement. It should not do this all the time. Maybe some wires got reattached incorrectly so transfer case and diff lock selections are incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big2dabank

I'd do exactly what alrock stated. Switch to 4 Hi lock and remove the front prop shaft, its pretty easy to remove and reinstall. It honestly can be either one of those two scenarios and without actually driving it would be hard to guess which one. It could also be as simple as the wrong gear oil in the front diff. I had someone put the wrong fluid in the rear diff before and it started to bind and act as though the locker was engaged. Once it was drained and the correct fluid was used it was smooth sailing. Good Luck.