• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

How many Miles on your H3? - Any major repairs?

scoreh3

The one probably everyone has done is the 100,000 mile trans rebuild. It normally goes out +/- 100K .

mjferencak

Haven’t done that one yet. But I have gotten the code for torque converter slipping lately. 250,000+ miles on original trans and engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EndeavoredH3

Essentially have replaced the entire front end suspension besides the steering rack. But I way overcranked my torsion bars and paid the price.

170,000 miles with original transmission, engine and transfer case. All still running great!

RamRod

I am very picky about fixing ANYTHING that could be worn or able to fail (probably over kill) and have basically gone through the front end one time with 85,000 miles on the clock

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
167k miles on my H3.

3rd motor
4th trans
7th front axle (more R&Ps)
2nd transfer case
2nd rear axle
4 tie rods
2 steering racks

I can keep going....but I don’t want to be depressed.

SlcHummer

06 with 156k miles on what i believe to be the original motor/trans, bought it with 110k.

radiator replaced twice
thermostat
exhaust manifold leak w/ 3 broken bolts
crankshaft seal
motor mounts
OD steering rack reinforcement kit to remove play
OD front diff bushings since stock bushings were gone

Tengo1

62,000 miles on my 06 Adventure H3.

Replaced thermostat at 35K
AC compressor at 55K

Everything else has been standard maintenance.

2010H3TAlpha

61k (I rarely drive; I commute via plane 2-3 days per week)
Blew the 4L60E at 59k (low/rear sprag let go)
Transfer case chain guard let go at 55k (thankfully nothing was damaged!!!)
New ECM, BCM, and ignition at 55k (randomly wouldn’t start one day, we think a short at the stereo or ignition killed everything)
Front diff bushing at 61k (probably needed to be done at 57k, but no damage to the diff thank goodness)
Wiper motor at 55k
Left CV at 58k (boot ripped, probably on a branch from a trip in the mountains)

I think that’s about it. I drive my vehicles very hard (my 61k paint looks 300k) so my truck is not a very good benchmark, unless you wheel hard on 35s, which I’ve noticed definitely wears everything out 100x faster than 33s (plus extra weight from the stereo, canopy, gear, etc.). Yeah it hasn’t been the most reliable thing ever, but it’s a blast to drive, gets looks even in dense metro areas, everyone lets me into traffic and waves/smiles at me, kids point and yell “MONSTER TRUCK!!!”, my family absolutely loves it, and we’ve decided to keep it in the family forever, so it’s basically an honorary family member (my wife and kids love it too). It’s the slowest vehicle I’ve ever owned, but my kids still love doing 0-60 onto the highway in it; the LH9 is one of the best sounding domestic motors IMHO (motor noise, not exhaust). We even have an off-road course on the back of our property, including a really steep spot that I use to demonstrate all 3 lockers to friends and family. My truck has taken me safely back home from every single trip I’ve taken it on, and some of those trips were a bit frantic (I’ve only needed one recovery). It allows us to get around in snow which usually paralyzes the Seattle area; Amazon won’t touch our driveway even after a light dusting. It is a recovery monster. It just walks up everything. Stuff I used to hit at speed, now I point and go and it just billy goats up everything. People can’t believe it is a crew cab; I can stuff it down some pretty tight Jeep trails.

Anyway, I love my truck!

Korby7

‘09 Alpha - 115k
I’ve owned it a little over a year. The only thing I can see from previous owner is the right front hub and I just replaced the fuel sending unit today. PITA but a good learning experience. It’ll be much easier if I ever have to do it again.

Jeepwalker

When you guys have replaced engines, where did you source them from? Just curious what a GM engine runs (engine only and what discounts applied)?

chaos254

I've been lucky up until now with relatively minor repairs. Fuel pump, thermostat, front axle seals, idler, tensioner.

My new list at 140k is pretty big and I'm actually contemplating getting rid of truck

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

ludevick

Just passed 88k on my 06. Bought it with 75k so far I have replaced or repaired:
Bumpstops
Shocks
Serpentine belt, idler pulley and tensioner.
Exhaust manifold
The seal from the driveshaft to the rear diff
And then just maintenance like brakes and cleaning the MAF and Throttle body.

Honestly this has cost more money than my BMW recently, but, its easier to work on at least.

Now I need to replace the windshield. Small chip + 0 degree weather = large crack.

Cohiba54

Got the H3 on Feb of 2017 (2006 Adventure) with 198,280 miles on it. It was a mom-mobile, owned by a family in my neighborhood. I inspected it bumper to bumper before making an offer. My findings were that it was in very good condition excepting miss-matched tires, all the steering components needed to be replaces and the transfer case had a slight rattle at driveway speed. Did not see where any of the body/frame/cross-members/bolts/nuts etc... had been messed with, engine and transmission ran well. I made an offer and bought it.

At 200,920 miles. All Moog parts form RockAuto. R & L upper control arms with ball joints, inner & outer steering rods, R & L lower ball joints, front end alignment (done at a shop), new tires (discount tires) All that cost +/- 1800 buks plus the 5k I paid for it. Not too bad for very good driving H3.

Fast forward to Jan of 2019. 239,640 miles the engine finally gave up the ghost. I've used Thunder Bolt in Houston a couple of time over the years, they came and hauled off my beloved, rebuilt my engine (3.5) replaces a few miscellaneous ancillary parts, 3 year - 100k mile warranty. That ticket cost me almost as much as I paid to the H3 to start with. But you know what it's all paid for and I still love this H3.

BTW
The transfer case still has the rattle. Forgot to mention the damn sun roof leaks, yes I've cleaned the drain tubes. One day I'll take appart and replace the seal or seal it shut.

Happy trails boys and girls.

atvspeed4

The sun roof drain tubes can sometimes come off where they connect to the sunroof. There are 4, one on each corner. We always drill out the "X" in the valve at the firewall for the front two and zip tie the hose at the sunroof for all of them. Please don't silicone the sunroof shut the next guy that owns it will have a mess to clean up someday [emoji26]

mjferencak

The sun roof drain tubes can sometimes come off where they connect to the sunroof. There are 4, one on each corner. We always drill out the "X" in the valve at the firewall for the front two and zip tie the hose at the sunroof for all of them. Please don't silicone the sunroof shut the next guy that owns it will have a mess to clean up someday [emoji26]

Lol I siliconed mine but my motor gave out, gasket dry rotted, and the driver side plastic hardware became brittle and broke.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
When you guys have replaced engines, where did you source them from? Just curious what a GM engine runs (engine only and what discounts applied)?
I don't think you can get an I5 from GM anymore. One recent replacement from a non-forum member was a Jasper engine. With install, and fixing many other issues, it was a chunk of change approaching $10K.

06 H3 had a 5.3 from a wrecked GM SUV owned by a forum member, and I believe he got this 6.2 from a junkyard.

ludevick

I’d love to see the breakdown of those costs. labor costs, at least where I am, are averaging about $100p/h on the low side. The silver lining being I’m doing a lot more of the work myself and learning a lot.

Traxx

Just buy another H3 for 10k and have loads of spare parts. :)

When the sun shines again I need to drop the headliner, pretty sure the left rear drain is off. Headliner is especially fun in a T, remove the seats, drop it then try and work around it without creasing or damaging it. Figure I will add in some Dynamat on the roof and especially the backwall while I am at it.

ski.dive

72k miles 2007= According to the CARFAX REPORT on my recently purchase H3

New Radiator
4 Batteries since 2007
Thermostat
Front brakes 3 times
Rear brakes one time
Lots of OIL CHANGES & Windshield wipers

Last edited: