• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Newcomer in Michigan

chaynes

Hello!

New to H3s in general but have been doing a lot of research lately in preparation for buying one soon. My background is in Jeeps, I had a 2005 Rubicon new but was forced to sell during the recession and have been street bound since. I loved wheeling though, and I think it is time to get back into it.
I want a good solid rig off-road that I can wheel lightly, daily drive and slowly build with the kids. I found one at a local lot and I would like your opinion. It isn’t perfect but checks a lot of boxes. Here are my observations:

The good:
Adventure package
Newish Kenda Klever tires
Decent paint in a color I like
131k miles / $8900
Underside had some rust but actually less than I expected

The bad:
Numerous messages in the DIC:
Brakes
Fluid
Traction
Failed
Serv tpm
Possible radiator leak, but could be coming from the cap. I’ve since learned that these crack from rubbing on the body?
Rear view mirror doesn’t have power
Side mirrors don’t adjust by the switch (can I manually adjust)
Front washer fluid won’t dispense
Cruise control wouldn’t activate

The ugly:
TPMS light on (didn’t have time to look into it)
Only had 2 keys and no fobs :(
I5....I’m sure it’s not as bad as it sounds (and actually I liked the way it sounded when I drove it.)

Ok... that’s a lot but I really liked how it drove. I may be focusing on the negative but I think it would be a fun rig. I don’t doubt it’s been used hard at some point. And the price seems ok, especially if they can negotiate a bit to allow for repair costs and the general condition.
Called today and they couldn’t pull any codes from it, which I can’t believe.... so I will likely be on my own with doing any work. It is filthy inside and when I asked about it being cleaned the salesman didn’t seem concerned. There was heavy dust in the air ducts as well, which is a huge turnoff but I’m sure I can figure out how to get them clean.

I’m not scared of doing all work on it myself. Seems like there is great support online for shadetree mechanics and from what I’ve seen the parts are plentiful and inexpensive.

My next step is to give it a better look over and assess the actual work required. I think it is likely (hopeful) that many of the electrical issues may be blown fuses, but if not, I could be looking at quite the project!

Thoughts?

MilamJR

Welcome from Alabama. You are in the right spot for advice on the H3. These guys are very knowledgeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaynes

Thanks Milam!
Update: dealer replacing cracked radiator. Says the warning codeswere caused by wiring at the fuse box? I’m definitely going to have to check that out...I suspected that for the power mirrors and cruise control, but not the codes.
I will try to get more details from the mechanic when I go for a test drive...

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
That's a rat's nest of problems and not typical on any H3, which worries me a bit. Fuse box or chewed up wiring could be a culprit, or maybe a bad BCM. Or low voltage issues from a bad battery, bad terminals, bad cables or something along those lines. Those aren't typical fuse issues so I'd be looking at something messier to repair. Curious if the turn signals work since those are on the same stalk as cruise and wipers.

The brakes, traction and cruise control issues all likely tie back to one thing, like a bad ABS sensor or wiring issues like you see with the rest.

TPMS is a small issue. Could just need to reprogram the sensors, or you could have a failed sensor.

SlcHummer

Welcome!

2008 Adventure package - I believe this should give you the cast iron front diff over aluminum, so that is definitely a plus although if you can find an 09 Adventure it'll also come with a front locker if that's something you're looking for.

131k miles / $8900 - With all the problems this may potentially come with this price and mileage seems tad bit high in my opinion. 7.5-8k would seem more appropriate in my opinion.

Possible radiator leak, but could be coming from the cap. I’ve since learned that these crack from rubbing on the body? - I'm having this issue right now which is a very very slow leak which I watch closely and add a tiny amount of coolant too about once every 2-3 months. This is my 2nd radiator in 4 years and I expect I'll be replacing this one soon and something I think those who take their rig off road should budget to replace every few years...although would love to hear of any tricks to help resolve this if anyone has any lol.

TPMS light on - My TPMS light came on for a little bit and I believe was fixed after making sure all tires were filled properly with air and doing a relearn of the TPMS sensors. No other TPMS issues after owning my 06 rig from 110k to now 156k miles. I have read of others having TPMS issues but believe most are resolved by replacing the sensors.

I5....I’m sure it’s not as bad as it sounds - I wish I could give you comfort here but the I5 is pretty under powered lol. If/when I have to do it all over again I would spend the time/money on an alpha adventure. It is worth noting that my rig is the 3.5l and and 08 would be the 3.7l. With a PCM tune I'm willing to bet the 3.7 performs pretty decent, a tune on my 3.5 helped but still wish I could get a tad bit more out of the motor.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The 3.7 is a bit better than the 3.5. I would also prefer an Alpha with Adventure, but those are hard to find. My guess is they'd be about $3000-$4000 higher.

chaynes

Thanks all for the warm welcome and advice. I will let you know the outcome after I look at it again.

I would certainly prefer an ‘09 with front lockers! But with how scarce they are (only found 9 for sale nationwide on car gurus) I can probably be ok with only the rear lockers on the ‘08 model. Maybe spend the price difference on a good winch...

I just read last night that you can fit 35s on a stock h3?

Next question...where to wheel in MI?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
You can check the wiring harness that feeds to the underside of the fuse block under the hood. It's possible that's not fully connected and is causing these electrical issues.

adventuredad

Welcome, you have definitely found the best place for what you're after. I've been in about the same boat as I just bought my '06 a couple months ago. Of course everyone would love to have an Alpha/Adventure but the limited time I've spent in the woods with mine I have been very happy and impressed with it. I do have the rear locker and use it a bit because we're in snow right now, I thought the same thing about a winch and it will be necessary before too long but for now I haven't needed one and have pulled out more rigs than have pulled me. I was just up on the mountain over the weekend with the family and 3 trucks were just down the hill from us shooting, kept an eye on them and wasn't surprised when they all 3 got stuck trying to get back up. It was a forest road under about a foot of snow with packed slushy tracks. The first 2 made it up finally after a lot of digging and tire spinning but the last one was a stock Tundra and the tires weren't worth a damn. They finally cried wolf and asked for help (I had offered about 45 mins prior), backed down the road, strapped to his front hooks and drug him right out. I was very happy with how it performed. The I5 definitely is not a race horse but I didn't buy a beast to be fast. When I press the pedal it goes and that's all it takes to get us out in the woods.

I'm originally from Columbus, OH (don't hold it against me) but can't help on any areas up there to go. I'll check around with a few of my buddies that grew up that way and see if they've got any recommendations.

chaynes

Nice blog AD! That the exact color of H3 that I’m after, and same purpose for the vehicle etc. I drove it again today after they replaced the radiator. I think I will pull the trigger on it tomorrow! There are still some issues to resolve but nothing major. It’s a pretty nice rig.

And I have no problem with Ohioans (?), I’m not from MI originally so I don’t carry the grudge. But I am from AR, and now that I think of it there was that 2011 sugar bowl...

CWage

Probationary Member
Kind of funny, I looked at that one and ended up buying a different one a couple weeks back. Glad the dealership took care of the issues. Hope it works out for you.

chaynes

Thanks, so far so good! I could see why you would pass on it. I almost did myself, until I compared with some others in the area. The underside seemed pretty clean on this one despite being in Michigan it’s whole life. Still needs a good cleaning inside though, definitely seen a lot of dirt roads it seems. I plan to take apart the air ducts as well as I can and clean them out. If anyone has some good advice for that I’m all ears.