Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Photography

Super Swamper

Thanks

Photography

I don't think we have a thread on this yet. I thought it would be fun to share what cameras and lenses we use as well as post processing software.

Maybe start another one on video. I know I need help on this new digital software stuff. I did video productions for years but it was all analog big stuff.

I pulled this over here when it came up on our Attica Badlands thread and thought it would be fun to share maybe the best shots you have of your vehicle that stand out and/or even just posts on interesting photographs you have made or places you have gone not specifically Hummer shots but of course we all like those too! I know we have plenty of threads with pictures I was thinking more on HOW you took them and any ideas that work.

Here goes, of course it's all subject to opinon and there are other good choices.
    When I retired I had worked up to a Nikon F4 35mm film camera and it was hard to convince me this new digital stuff would work! haha That was in 98. I spent "years" in darkrooms, uh photo labs. I tried the D70 when it came out, but it was not there yet. Then I had a D200 but mine seemed to lack contrast I wanted but it was good and I was able to post process if necessary. I still carry that for a spare, Hunner theory. I tried a D300 and it seems to have what I want and plenty of options. I of course can still use any of my 40 years of Nikon lenses, but these new ones for DX with VR and decent auto focus are really nice.
    I have always carried lots of equipment so to me it's just part of the process. I used to shoot larger format 6x7 and 645 so these DX cameras are sporty to me.
    When I started favoring the digital format more and more I saw the light and they really ramped up the technology.
    I played with a 10.5 and it was fun but hard to get good horizon level shots that did not have the fisheye effect.
    Replaced that with a 12-24 that is not distorted unless you force it to up close.
    My 17-55 2.8 is my studio lens but I found that a 16-85 with VR is a sweet overlooked lens. I use that for most offroad work of vehicles and it stays on the camera. Easier to carry also.
    I pack a 80-400 VR for reaching out there but it takes some practice because it is a bit slow to focus. I got that before they brought out the 70-200 which is really fast focus and good color saturation. I set up different profiles in camera for each lens as I found that they all have their differences. That is a neat feature of digital. I have built up a selection of the higher quality lenses as I still supplement my income with photography. Nikon used to only have high end stuff but I can see now they are shooting for consumer price point and have a line of lenses that have plastic mounts and a bit less quality glass. My stuff gets used a lot in all kinds of conditions and I'm a lens "hore" so I need tough stuff to change around and survive the elements and me.
    Looking for the next place to go....................
    Like I said, we might should start a photo thread and share camera info. Might just copy this to that.
    The 80-400 also makes a good telescope on those night runs to places that are really dark.

Wide angles are good for lots of depth of field for scenery.

OK I gotta stick in my most treasured H3 shot, that has been around awhile. I shot this while a friend drove my H3. Long lens zooming to keep it framed as he approached and without having to roll focus with auto-focus now accurate. This shows how long lenses, meaning in mm magnification, compress the foreground and background giving to some, what appears to have movement in a frame.
    Last edited by Hunner; 11-09-2011 at 03:17 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunner For This Useful Post:

Flash (11-12-2011)

Unsafe At Any Speed
    Thanks
    My primary Camera is a Canon T2i - Nothin' fancy. Does the job for what I need.

The wife has a Canon 7D and a 5D MarkII that she uses for her Photography business.

Lenses: Way too many to even get into. Personally my favorite to use is the EF-S. I believe it's a 10mm - 22mm. 3.5 - 4.5

For processing we use Adobe Lightroom. We should read, she. It's confuses the **** out of me but I still play around with it from time to time. I generally use photoshop or Picnik.
    Gone but not forgotten
    R.I.P.

Chapter President

Thanks
    I bought a Nikon D5000 a couple of years ago for my wife and I have to say, she has been very happy with it, I hardly ever get to use it. The Nikon is so easy to use and we always get great pictures of the kids. Neither one of us are by any means professional, I would love to take a professional photography class one day to better understand how to get the maximum benefit our of this camera.

As far as post processing, my wife uses Aperture on a mac at home and she has been very happy with it.
    B I G 2 D A B A N K

2005 H2 SUT, Desert Sand

Low Profile
    Thanks
    I only have a Olympus SP-800UZ 30X. It does what we need but I do need a tripod for any zoom shots. I just like to play around. Also, I use photoshop.

************** It seems the harder I work, the more luck I have *************
    ************************H3 Adventure and I use it!**********************

"Like Nothing Else"
    Thanks
    I have a canon powershot digital elph.....im not a professional phtographer, i just like quick snapshots of wherevere im at. It has 14 mp, so it does the job haha
    -2009 H3 Alpha/Adv||SAS/SOA
    -2008 H3 Alpha-RIP

El Diablo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,372 Times in 1,689 Posts
    I started off in photography with my father's two Pentax 35mm cameras that he bought in 1969. Heck, these were so old they didn't even have hot shoes for a flash! I had a clip on light meter attached where the hot shoe would be and then it was 100% manual control from aperture to shutter speed to focus. No batteries in those cameras.

I did some projects in high school with those cameras and learned about good shooting, developing, etc. but never developed it into a serious hobby or the profession like my father. I do enjoy it but at the same time never got a dslr. I do have a good point and shoot, a Canon G10 which is the so called step down camera for professionals when they don't want to carry the dslr. It has the manual controls but admittedly I rarely use them.

I use Photoshop Express for my editing. Sometimes I dabble in the bigger tools though usually it is just a quick contrast adjustment to make the photos "pop" a bit.

I have spent some time playing around with fun shots. This is one of my favorites - it was taken from my hotel room in Waikiki.

Navajo Bridge, AZ

Slot canyons near Escalante, UT

Frozen plant, Alaska

Kinei Peninsula, Alaska

8. The Following User Says Thank You to alrock For This Useful Post:

Flash (11-12-2011)

Low Profile
    Thanks
    I took a advanced photoshop class once and have some masking tips I could post. They work wonders. I just recorded the macro and run it on all my photos by default now (the ones I edit anyways lol)

************** It seems the harder I work, the more luck I have *************
    ************************H3 Adventure and I use it!**********************

Bogger
    Colorado - Sometimes Park County; usually Colo Springs
    Thanks
    I started with a Pentax Spotmatic F in the early 70's. (Screw lenses...) Worked for a studio doing all of the B&W processing and printing and the "gofer." Joined the Navy in 1977. I lusted after Canon F1 for years. I finally bought one in 1979... I think it was about $600. Pretty steep when my disposable income was about $150 per month. Purchased a lot of "L" lenses. When Canon shifted to EOS, I abandoned Canon as fast as they abandoned me. Shifted over to Nikon. 8008, 8008s, F100 and finally F5 as my retirement gift to me when I retired from the Navy in November 2000. Off and on shooting weddings and seniors. Bought a Bronica ETRS w/wide, normal, portrait lenses; flashes, Quantum batteries, etc...

Started with the Nikon digital with a 1 or 2mp P&S that was about $1200. Then bought a D100. Sold all of my darkroom equipment (Bessler 23CII) and all of the film cameras. Except the F5. Still have that. I keep it around just in case I need a wheel chock!

I purchased a D2X and it was a lemon, so I returned it. I really liked the feel of the D2X.

I finally upgraded to a D300s and really like the performance. The best part is all of my really fine Nikon glass works great with the D300s. (My motto, F2.8 or faster!)
    Cheers, Doug In Colorado
    K0LEF 146.460 simplex

I am sorry that everyone cannot own a Hummer; some folks have to drive a Jeep or a Toyota.

Mr. Beretta
    Thanks
    I started with a Yasica Electro 35 back in my army days.
    Progressed to a Nikon F2as, then to a F4, then to a F5 and onto the current D200 and D300. Most of my money is actually wrapped up in pro lenses (All F2.8 or faster).
    And yes, I have taken some waterfall shots. These are all from the F5 (although a few could be from a F100 I had for a year or two). All on Fuji Velvia film...

Little river off the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail, and yes, that is snow and yes, the water was f-ing cold

Highest water fall east of the MS river
    White water falls, NC

And a fall shot too

Looking glass falls

Dry falls

What happens when you use a long exposure with Velvia; the reciprocity goes haywire

In the spring

There is a breed of white squirrels (not albinos but actual breed) and this one posed just for this photo.

And a fall shot from white face mountain...

And in downtown Watkins Glen, there is a river gorge...

Blackwater falls W. Virginia

Ashley Judd's horse

Back in the days of the F4
    The old seven mile bridge

And I believe my F2as....From Pike's Peak

Don't know anything about Hummers, but I do speak Malamute.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to f5moab For This Useful Post:

Flash (11-12-2011)

Mr. Beretta
    Thanks
    And I spent some time in Monument valley with an Indian guide
    All F5 shots with either Fuji Velvia or Provia...
    The crotch shot (Ear of the Wind arch)

Moccasin Arch

Hogan arch

Somewhere in Monument Valley

And of course the most photographed of Monument valley...the Mittens. Heck there were at least a dozen people standing there with tripods...

Don't know anything about Hummers, but I do speak Malamute.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to f5moab For This Useful Post:

Flash (11-12-2011)

Bogger
    Colorado - Sometimes Park County; usually Colo Springs
    Thanks
    Nice photos Doug!
    (The water is only cold if you step in it and the water goes over the top of your boots!)
    Cheers, Doug In Colorado
    K0LEF 146.460 simplex

I am sorry that everyone cannot own a Hummer; some folks have to drive a Jeep or a Toyota.

Low Profile

Thanks
    I have a few cameras, but don't get to use them quite as much as I'd like . .

Nikon D200 / 80-400 VR

Same camera, but the 17-55 VR DX

2006 H3 Luxury | Gobi rack and ladder | Ridge Demon prototype sliders | ARB Front Bumper | Warn VR8000 | OEM UCP | Toyo 33" Open Country M/T | PCM4Less | Optima Yellow Top

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kmug For This Useful Post:

Flash (11-12-2011)

All Terrain

Thanks
    I bought my wife a Canon T2i for X-mas last year I would like to get her a lens or 2 this year but have no idea where to even start. I know close to nothing on lenses. I know a friend of her gave her 2 different ones but they don't fit she needs some adapters form them or something.

Any tips, advice of what I should get. If if anyone has any sell or donate a lens that will work on her camera. maybe wide angle or one with a bigger zoom capability. IDK
    Jeff

2008 3 Alpha
    4" Tuff Country with a touch of Rancho, SOA conversion, Ridge Demon Rock Bashers w/ steps, Ridge Demon front frame strengthening plates, 325/60/20, KMC Addicts, Thor parts front n rear bumpers with front skid plate, Thor Parts drive shaft adapter with u-joint front drive shaft, Thor parts UCP steel plates, Scorpion works steering rack brace, Recon 10.5k winch, Artec dual battery conversion and probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

Oh and it's my wife's

Baja
    Thanks
    Those are all very impressive. I like photography as well, but have never been able to justify putting money into buying anything high end. I'm jealous.

BTW, f5, was the squirrel picture taken in Olney, IL by any chance? My wife is from that area and they are famous for their white squirrels. (http://www.ci.olney.il.us/Visitors/WhiteSquirrel.htm)

Badfish

Thanks
    wow Alrock !!! those are real nice , i dig the one from hawaii

sweet pix everyone
    "93" HMC2 ( 2-door hardtop truck )
    "06" H3 ( green no bling )
    Line-X and 35's
    "18" ZR-2 Green no Bling
    Blacksheep Hummer Squadron : MOAB
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmadSGJCzo8
    B.S.H.S. Rollin with the Banned and the Damned , No Dues and no Dont's .