Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
    Bald Tire
    Thanks

AC hissing noise

Hi
    When AC is working I hear an hissing noise coming from the passenger side. It comes every 20 seconds, I think when the compressor is on. AC is working so far.

Any suggestion?

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 992 Posts
    Crank the stereo.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 4speedfunk For This Useful Post:

FactoryOrdered2010AlphaT (02-19-2019)

Low Profile
    Thanks
    I think I have about the same sound. Every once in awhile itís a hiss from around the glovebox. Donít always hear it and certainly havenít had the AC on, all heat right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just another father and family man that enjoys the outdoors.

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Have you come across any more info on this? Weíre getting into warmer weather and Iím noticing it more often. I donít have the ac turned on but still getting the hiss u set the glovebox. I did need to run ac recently and noticed I had to have it set as cold as it would go to get it to cool down. Seems a little off and Iím expecting Iím gonna have to troubleshoot it as we get into warmer weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Is the A/C system working (cooling) properly? Does it sound like pressure equalizing itself? Such as when a person turns off the car and the pressure in the A/C system equalizes out?
    Jeepwalker

'07 H3 Advent/Lux
    Jeep XJ, ZJ, WJ
    Ram & GMC 4x4's
    Toyota Hilux

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepwalker View Post
    Is the A/C system working (cooling) properly? Does it sound like pressure equalizing itself? Such as when a person turns off the car and the pressure in the A/C system equalizes out?
    Mine is doing it with the AC OFF, haven't been running AC yet this year, that's the strange thing to me. I will try and check with the AC ON and see if there is any difference. The only time I ran the AC was a couple weeks ago and it seemed the only time it would actually cool was with it set on the coolest setting, seemed strange to me. Also when I am using the heat, it puts out extremely hot air- hotter than any other car I've driven. Is this typical? I know the I5's seem to run hot and heat up quick but does it affect our cabin heat that much?

Street Tire
    Thanks
    The ac compressor should come on with the defrost too. In case you might have been using it.
    Jeepwalker

'07 H3 Advent/Lux
    Jeep XJ, ZJ, WJ
    Ram & GMC 4x4's
    Toyota Hilux

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeepwalker For This Useful Post:

adventuredad (04-18-2019)

Low Profile
    Thanks
    BINGO! Didn't even dawn on me, yes I run the defrost quite a bit with the humidity during the rainy months up here. That explains the hiss for me, I'm guessing it's just louder in the H3 than it has been in previous cars. Thank you for that!

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Great!
    Nice when problems turn out not to be problems after all!

Cheers..
    Jeepwalker

'07 H3 Advent/Lux
    Jeep XJ, ZJ, WJ
    Ram & GMC 4x4's
    Toyota Hilux

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    Can be a bad AC expansion valve? I have installed a non original one (4 season). Thanks for your help.

Low Profile
    Thanks
    maybe Check the fan blower. mine makes a hiss sound and a light whistle noise on low. Goes away on high and when I turn off the blower.

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    maybe Check the fan blower. mine makes a hiss sound and a light whistle noise on low. Goes away on high and when I turn off the blower.
    Hi
    If you turn off the blower the AC system is automatically cutted out as I know.

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    You're going to hear the hiss of the AC when using it, it's the valve opening to let more refrigerant into the evaporator. The higher the temperature difference (ambient air temperature) and the faster the blower is going the more often the valve will open. When the valve opens you'll hear a hissing sound and once the pressure equalizes enough the valve closes again. As the air going through the evaporator cools off the pressure on the evaporator side of the valve will change enough to allow the valve to open again to let more refrigerant in. This is perfectly normal as far as I am aware.

If you're concerned about it then the first thing to do is check the temperature of the air coming out of the vents with the AC on full blast on a moderate day (70 degrees Fahrenheit or about 21C). If I recall correctly it should be around 45F degrees or so (~7C to 8C). If it's much warmer than that then there is some issue, either the charge of refrigerant is too low or too high, or several other reasons.

Another thing to check is the charge level of the refrigerant. You'll either need a dual gauge set specifically meant for AC, or just take it to a shop to have them check the levels. You need to check both the high and low pressure sides to know if the charge level is correct.

But if it feels like the AC is blowing cold air properly then it's probably fine, it doesn't take much for the AC to stop cooling air enough to be noticeable if something is wrong with the system. We just have a noisy AC in the H3's.
    2008 H3 Alpha

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - General John Stark

N1JPA

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    You're going to hear the hiss of the AC when using it, it's the valve opening to let more refrigerant into the evaporator. The higher the temperature difference (ambient air temperature) and the faster the blower is going the more often the valve will open. When the valve opens you'll hear a hissing sound and once the pressure equalizes enough the valve closes again. As the air going through the evaporator cools off the pressure on the evaporator side of the valve will change enough to allow the valve to open again to let more refrigerant in. This is perfectly normal as far as I am aware.

If you're concerned about it then the first thing to do is check the temperature of the air coming out of the vents with the AC on full blast on a moderate day (70 degrees Fahrenheit or about 21C). If I recall correctly it should be around 45F degrees or so (~7C to 8C). If it's much warmer than that then there is some issue, either the charge of refrigerant is too low or too high, or several other reasons.

Another thing to check is the charge level of the refrigerant. You'll either need a dual gauge set specifically meant for AC, or just take it to a shop to have them check the levels. You need to check both the high and low pressure sides to know if the charge level is correct.

But if it feels like the AC is blowing cold air properly then it's probably fine, it doesn't take much for the AC to stop cooling air enough to be noticeable if something is wrong with the system. We just have a noisy AC in the H3's.
    Hi Paul
    thank for the reply. The AC is working strong! perhaps too strong... In some cases I have to mix the cold air with warm air cause the car looks like a refrigerator!
    I will che the refrigerant level and I let to know!

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Hi put your fan blower on 1 and drive for a while then listen and see if its hissing of a low whistle sound.