• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 H3 Alpha Shock Advice Needed Please!

Lauren

Hey everyone! I have a 2009 H3 Alpha and I need to replace the shocks.. I live in the UAE so they’re a little scared of dealing with Hummers for some unknown reason.. so I need to tell them exactly what I need.. so I’ve been recommended the Fox 2.0 Performance IFP shocks.. but I just wanted to know your opinions, can you suggest anything better? Thank you in advance! :)

spike10940

Fox probably the best bet. I had Ranchos (their triple tube adjustable)on my H3T and they only lasted about 2 years before blowing out. Never did any off roasting either.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

amrg

Bilstein 5160s with an external bypass are great

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

4speedfunk

I just finished an SAS/SOA project and I used Fox IFP 2.0s on it. I’ve been driving it around for a couple days and they feel spot-on. Very affordable too. This rig is approx 5” over stock on the rear and 4” on the front. I chose the 10” travel versions because the front will probably get lifted an inch more. The fronts are nearly at full compression at this relatively low ride height. If this was the final ride height, 8” travel would be a better choice on the front...
c42ac27a07e7df9f66d8b999f8101117.jpg
9bf741500fd594238af3e4f3170f28f5.jpg

A stock-ish H3 would probably need 6” travel or less. Also these are a universal mount, with bushed eyelets on both top and bottom. So you will need BPEs on the upper rear mounts, and some sort of adapter for the front upper mounts. Reservoirs are sort of overkill for a stock H3. In fact, they are overkill even on SASed H3’s with 8”+ of droop. The Fox IFPs can cycle full stroke without displacing enough fluid to warrant a reservoir. From here on...These will be my spec shock for future SAS/SOA builds (10” rear & 8” front)...very pleased with them. Read more about them in cgAlpha’s build thread.

Ghostbuster

I’ve had my Fox 2.0 shocks for almost 4 years. No issues.
A local shop charged me $40 to install them.

My torsion bars have been cranked a little bit. That is all.

The tires are Toyo AT IIs 315 75 16.
They rub a little at full lock. But not enough to bother me.

d79a4a45d8ab9f81e28d49446f3bcf89.jpg
869f53059fe40ba0e77831f7b298cb50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPaul

Fox 2.0 here as well. I had the Bilstein 5100's on my previous H3 and they were good as well, but I feel like the Fox 2.0's are a bit better at damping properly.

4speedfunk

You guys running stock suspension should post some Fox part numbers. I would post mine but everything around here is highly modified and doesn’t apply to 99% of H3’s.

Fox has hundreds of shocks but, I’m pretty sure they only have one option for stock H3’s.

Last edited:

scoreh3

Please check , I’m going my shopping notes from over 3 years ago.
Fox Performance IFP
FRONT FOX985-02-009
REAR. FOX985-24-048

If I remember correctly, the fronts are the same as 2000-2010 Chevy Silverado . So they should work with you guys running heavier bumpers and winches.

Last edited:

Happy Hummer

I just finished an SAS/SOA project and I used Fox IFP 2.0s on it. I’ve been driving it around for a couple days and they feel spot-on. Very affordable too. This rig is approx 5” over stock on the rear and 4” on the front. I chose the 10” travel versions because the front will probably get lifted an inch more. The fronts are nearly at full compression at this relatively low ride height. If this was the final ride height, 8” travel would be a better choice on the front...
c42ac27a07e7df9f66d8b999f8101117.jpg
9bf741500fd594238af3e4f3170f28f5.jpg

Very nice! Clean and classy.

Happy Hummer

I'm currently using Bilstien shocks on my H3. I've tried quite a few different brands and there pretty decent. Firm but not to firm. Kinda like the Goldie Locks stories.

lancej70

Probationary Member
I put in the Fox IFP 2.0s about a month ago and recommend them. Big difference in ride after leveling the stock shocks.
b66f25963bb6521e41889d4bb9b90372.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4speedfunk

Is this your new bumper design? Is so, are you making more and how much?

That’s the THORparts Gen II...been around for 3-4 years. I just got a quote today for a new production run of bumpers. Costs have gone up considerably and so will my price. I’m kicking it around...hesitant to make a bunch and not be able to sell them.

atvspeed4

That’s the THORparts Gen II...been around for 3-4 years. I just got a quote today for a new production run of bumpers. Costs have gone up considerably and so will my price. I’m kicking it around...hesitant to make a bunch and not be able to sell them.
How do you typically ship them? We might be able to help you if interested

Korby7

If you end up doing a run of rear bumpers, count me in.

amrg

It is a beautiful bumper and it actually updates the look of the H3!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Lauren

Hi Everyone!

I'm so sorry I didn't get a chance to reply to any of you.. a few emergencies got in the way..

But thank you so so much for everyone's comments, I'm so grateful!

I did install Fox 2.0 IFP Shocks in the end.. I'm in love with them! The difference they make in the desert is crazy! Would definitely recommend them to anyone considering them! :D