• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Buying opinion please

4speedfunk

Looks pretty average. I’ve not seen any real huge rust problems at the 10-12 year old age, as long as you leave things alone. But as soon as you start messing with them, nuts & bolts will definitely snap or round off. Swaybars, shocks, brake lines, hubs, driveshafts, etc. are all common rusty spots. PB-blaster is pretty much a requirement to do work on an H3.
I see this one has the factory birdcage UCP. This can be used as an indicator of off-road abuse. They are commonly bent, broken, or severely scraped-up. Yours looks good. Probably had an easy life so far.

Ordieh

adding to this thread...I am considering moving to an Alpha and found a low mileage one in the North East. It would be an online buy, my first for a vehicle. the dealer sent some pictures of the undercarriage. Does the amount of rust look concerning to anyone? My 08 has lived in Florida all of its life and doesn't have anywhere close to this amount of oxidation. Any feedback is appreciated and anything else I should look out for?

Cheers and thanks!

Steve
View attachment 24493View attachment 24494
View attachment 24492
I recommend passing on it. In addition to what you see, there are things to consider that you can't see such as electrical connectors that are not inside the cab. If you can find a rig from an area such as south central Texas (away from the coast and far enough south to not have treated winter roads) it will be rust free. There are several on the Austin CRAIGSLIST and ALPHA's pop up sometimes at a fair price. Good luck whatever you do!

glpd74

I think it depends how long you want to keep the vehicle for. If long term I would prolly remove the coating and por-15 because right now the coating is compromised and it’s rusting underneath it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ski.dive

We're already enjoying it! The family wants to take it everywhere, I don't think the wife's car has moved in the last few days.

I've seen Wipe New mentioned around here a good bit, has anyone tried Aerospace 303? That's what I used to use on my Honda Element plastic trim and really liked it. It's designed for marine and RV use but works great on any plastic that I've tried it on. I just haven't had the chance to try it yet. I'll have to check into the Wipe New stuff.

How's your H3 holding up? Done Any repairs to it?