• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Buying opinion please

adventuredad

Still on the hunt for my first H3 and wanted to get some opinions of 2 that I’ve found. One is an 08 Alpha with the luxury package but not the adventure package. The other is an 08 base with luxury and adventure packages. Which one would you be more likely to purchase? Obviously the Alpha would be preferred for the engine but would it be a good trade off to lose the adventure package?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
It's much easier to upgrade an Alpha to Adventure than an Adventure to an Alpha. Plus you don't have to do the upgrades all at once, or ever. Assuming everything else is comparable, get the Alpha.

Transfer case + locker = <$3000. I5 to Alpha = many more thousands.

ludevick

Adding locking differential(s) would be a lot cheaper than adding a v8. If you’re going to do a lot of off roading the 5 cylinder with the adv package is great, but, having just completed a 300 mile on road journey in a 5 cylinder I wouldn’t mind having the extra power of a v8.

adventuredad

Well I just realized the non alpha is an 06 instead of an 08. My mistake, I’ve been looking at so many the last couple weeks they’re starting to run together. I think that sways it even farther towards the Alpha. I pretty much expected that would be the opinions but I like to refer to guys that have been around them longer than me. We will be off-road a bit but also would like it to perform well on the highway to take us on trips as well. Now it’s time to see if I can make it work with the budget I’ve been “given”.

Thanks for the help

Traxx

If your not into moderate to heavy off roading then the adv package isn't really a necessity. Nice to have, sure, But if your just camping and tooling around on the logging roads out here your fine without it. Buy an Alpha, or spend alot of time later wishing you did. :)

Alpha+performance tune+ tires. Then go have fun.

adventuredad

The Alphas got 141,000 miles on it. It’s a couple hours from me so I haven’t had a chance to go look at it. Seems like a good price on it but something doesn’t seem right as it’s been listed for awhile and they’ve dropped the price a couple thousand bucks. Well have to see if I can find the time to run up there and take a look.

lowtrac

If I had it to do over again, assuming I could afford it, I’d go with the Alpha.

FactoryOrdered2010AlphaT

142,000 miles with this H3T Alpha. It's more sport-truck even with the stock 33 LTs than the 02, 05 and 07 Avalanches I ran through before it.

Ordered Alpha on specification for more power than Rubicon ten years ago. Wasn't aware until recently how that power, and this badge, ended up under the bonnet: GM Performance Division.

IMG_0822.jpg

http://www.gmhummer.com/timeline/2008/2008hummerh3alpha.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=GM+...N_fAhXJ8YMKHXi6DWcQ_AUIDigB&biw=1920&bih=1009

adventuredad

Thank you so much for the opinions, they were very helpful in my decision. Unfortunately I ended up not going with either of the H3's that I was referring too, instead finally finalized things on another 06 base with adventure package. This was the first truck that I tried to buy but the dealer was trying to work out some issues and I didn't think the deal was going to happen. It finally all came together on Monday and our new family addition is finally home. I thought long and hard about the Alpha and certainly would've preferred it if all was equal. Unfortunately without being able to see it in person I was very weary of the problems with it, by the ad it just seemed too good to be true.
But I am very happy so far with the new truck and can't wait to get it out in some snow and mud, looks iike I'm going to have to wait until Sunday.

adventuredad

Looks good, you'll be glad you got it.

We're already enjoying it! The family wants to take it everywhere, I don't think the wife's car has moved in the last few days.

I've seen Wipe New mentioned around here a good bit, has anyone tried Aerospace 303? That's what I used to use on my Honda Element plastic trim and really liked it. It's designed for marine and RV use but works great on any plastic that I've tried it on. I just haven't had the chance to try it yet. I'll have to check into the Wipe New stuff.

adventuredad

I actually sprayed mine with Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating 3 years ago and they still look great.

I used that on my .22 stock since the wood was old and ugly, not my favorite for that application though. It collects dirt and debris everything it rubs on. I think it's much better suited for automotive, I'll have to add it to the list of things to use.

Chimpy

Very nice H3 you bought there, Congrats!:thumbs:I used Wipe New on my 06 and it is amazing how it made the A-pillar trim look new again. I did all of the outside trim, including the mirrors and door handles (base model). Even my wife noticed how good it turned out.

adventuredad

The pillars didn't bother me, until you mentioned it. Just rubbed a little Aerospace 303 on them to see how it does. I think it looks pretty good but those things sure are dried out, it's soaking up a ton and still a little gray as it dries. I think it'll take several coats but it'll work and I didn't have to spend any money! Night and day difference already though.
IMG_1123.jpegIMG_1124.jpeg

JPaul

I'm going to try SEM bumper coating (spray paint) on the replacement set I purchased off Ebay, painting them seems the better option since it is a much longer term fix than anything else, even buying new ones. Plus they are easy enough to take off to do them properly.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SlcHummer

Looks good! My rig is the same color and what's funny is I didn't notice the faded pillars on mine until I was doing some research on my rig and it was constantly mentioned and then it started bothering me and when I finally took care of it lol.

stix

adding to this thread...I am considering moving to an Alpha and found a low mileage one in the North East. It would be an online buy, my first for a vehicle. the dealer sent some pictures of the undercarriage. Does the amount of rust look concerning to anyone? My 08 has lived in Florida all of its life and doesn't have anywhere close to this amount of oxidation. Any feedback is appreciated and anything else I should look out for?

Cheers and thanks!

Steve
thumbnail_IMG_0297.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0809.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0296.jpg

jphh20

I have owned an 06’ since it was new and live in the NE. This looks typical but I would ask to see some pics of the section aft of the rear axle. It tends to oxides more on the rear frame rails, upper rear shock mount area and rear leaf mount.