• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Craigslist - Unfinished 2006 H3 6.0 LS Project for $6000?

Acer4LO

Just saw this on Craigslist... So many questions... What do you guys think? Is this an H4O member? Not really sure why he would stop right in the middle of a project and take a huge loss selling it.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/d/phoenix-2006-h3-hummer/6782099427.html

Listing Description "2006 h3 hummer with a 6.0ls it's a project need to finish wireing and exust it has brand new wireing harness made for it.need a couple of things"

00L0L_iDrx4Fi9wtD_1200x900.jpg

00W0W_jlxDla18gbA_1200x900.jpg

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
You'll probably have to dump another 6k into it to finish it lol depends on how good the swap is lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

amrg

Wiring/exhaust/pcm/tcm....
Trans work done yet?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reloader

This is not far from me . Looks to be 4-5 miles away. Been watching it and thinking I should probably wander over there and check it out.
See if it's a hack job or something worth finishing. I will see if they respond. Haven't had a lot of luck lately getting sellers to respond on Offerup where it's been listed for a month.

Acer4LO

This is not far from me . Looks to be 4-5 miles away. Been watching it and thinking I should probably wander over there and check it out.
See if it's a hack job or something worth finishing. I will see if they respond. Haven't had a lot of luck lately getting sellers to respond on Offerup where it's been listed for a month.

That would be great if you can check it out! My guess is that it is a guy in over his head that dosen't know enough about engine swaps and is out of money to pay other shops to finish it.
[COLOR=inherit !important]

[/COLOR]

Reloader

Ok here's the story on this. Checked it out a couple days ago. It's as advertised. A 6.0 with 65K on it coupled to original trans/transfer case .
truck has 175K on it. He has owned it since 30K miles an engine finally went tits up a year ago. Some shop in the east valley said they could do v-8 conversion so he gave it to them to do it. They changed bell housing on oe trans to couple V8. Didn't go into trans or anything. All oe still. Motor mounts are some kind of s10 or Colorado conversation , headers are some pickup 6.0/6.2 shorty setup. He didn't know brand but they do appear to fit. Some massaging done to headers to clear steering shaft. If they were tighter to block that would be better but they fit.
Wiring harnes was custom made by someone here in valley and they supposedly programmed engine and trans controller. There is some kind of wiring problem that keeps it from running. He told me that it did fire and run a short time but nothing since. The truck was towed to harness builder to be diagnosed and they told installer what to fix but he couldn't figger it out. He is a supposedly expert on GM transplants.

Reloader

To finish conversion:
Need to finish harness. All wiring is exposed and would need to be properly loomed and secured after working out bugs and getting running. Have no idea if harnes is built to be compatible with bcm and transfer case controll system. Fun stuff yet to be discovered.
full exhaust system needs to be fabricated. This is the easy part. Don't know if engine control system is set up to use cats or not. If so will need cats and O2 sensors.
Cooling system needs finish. Nothing done but 2 electric fans attached to back side of some no name aluminum radiator. Needs rad hoses, heater hoses, vent hoses and personally I would toss aluminum rad and install new GM radiator with oe fan and shroud assembly. Works much better. I have the factory electric auxiliary cooling fan package installed on my Alpha in front of condenser. The right hand drive models built in S Africa had them installed for places like the Middle East. Works awesome here in heat of Phoenix valley. My dealer here found all pieces needed to do install from GM. All in stock in Michigan.
power steering needs hooking up. Pump on engine came with motor and is not compatible with oe hoses for Alpha set up.
A/C compressor is mounted but again all new hoses , condenser ,evap valve etc...
need to modify air intake system or find unit from Alpha.

Reloader

The H3 looks pretty good body wise. Very little damage and few scratches compared to mine. But it's grey in color and would hide a lot of that. Interior is good. Needs good cleaning and some drivers seat cushion damage that's been patched up so-so. It is not an adventure and has clothe seats.
Tyres are junk and butt ugly after market rims. He stated they are 17" rims but I didn't verify.
I would assume front suspension needs attention along with brakes. Brake master cylinder reservoir has no cap. He sealed it up with plastic and tape after I pointed that out to him. Huge pile of parts come with it. Stuff taken off oe setup and stuff from donor truck me thinks.
what he's asking money wise it about what he has spent on conversation. The engine cost him $2500, the harness and controllers was $1000 I think. Plus the various pieces like headers and bell housing and mounts and then all the labor. He has paid to have everything done so far.
plus towing it all over the place then back to his home after pulling plug.
he decided to get rid of it as is and he bought a new Cam Ann side by side for 28K to play with.
So basically you would be getting the H3 for free and the title is clear.
This would be a good sized project for someone. I thought about it but I have an H1 to keep me busy for now.
Also front diff is aluminum and that 6.0 will make short work of it for sure with 175K on it already. Owner claims nothing in drive train has to be repaired. I'm wondering if transfer case still has plastic shift fork in it. If I could get it for say 3K I would jump on it . Don't know how firm he is on price but it's been a year since he started throwing money at it. He did say he is open to partial trade for a trailer to haul his new money pit.
I have some pics but can't get them to load but will try to get them posted later.
If you gots more ? Just ask.

Last edited:

Traxx

Just entirely too much money for a high mileage half finished project that doesn't run. Better off just pull the motor and sell it and part the rest.

amrg

Is it the original 4l60 trans from the H3 or a drop off trans with the V8?
Asking because if its the original, you need to verify that that the input shaft amd torque converter where changed to the correct ones to mate to the V8. Even if thebshaft has the same splined it needs to be the correct length

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

2010H3TAlpha

I may have missed it, which PCM is he using? Was the PCM with the 6.0 or is he trying to use a different PCM? What year is the 6.0/PCM from? I bet there is a PCM mismatch which means it may do things like run once or act like there is comms between PCM/BCM, but nothing is actually happening because there is a software incompatibility due to the changeover to FlexFuel around 2010 (sometimes earlier/later depending on which vehicle donated the 6.0/PCM). This is based on personal experience and some research I've done, so someone closer to GM may have an official story that is more accurate.

Reloader

The transmixer is the original one that was coupled to 3.5 . he didn't know what was changed other than bell housing to couple it to engine.
I would plan on the input shaft and converter being wrong but I'm not sure if 3.5 and 5.3/6.0 converters share same flexplate bolt patterns. Trans was not rebuilt so is all oe internals .
Pcm I saw hooked up is one with 2 broom connectors and a separate Trans controller. The one in pic that's in front of one in firewall mount is the original 5 cylinder one. My Alpha uses a 3 connector one along with separate tranny controller. Mine is one out of a V8 Malibu that I picked up for $40 from salvage yard and sent to PCM of NC. I wanted to keep original with oe programming Incase of a warranty issue at the time. So no idea if its programmed correctly or if comparable with BCM or transfer case control system.
If I didn't have my H1 project I would buy this but not for $6K no way. Im thinking $3K and would probably go to $4K if it were red or yellow in color. I would toss original transmission transfercase and front axle for a 4L80e or 6L80e , an Atlas transfercase and solid axle setup in front . we will see if price comes down after a few more months.

4speedfunk

A half-finished hack job is worth less than a stock virgin. At least with a virgin, you know what you got.
This is a perfect candidate for a competition build. I would never try to keep it stock-ish...it’s too far gone already. Gut the bitch. Full cage. Racing buckets & bedliner. Screw the heat & AC. Screw the BCM. Use a Painless streetrod wiring kit. Stand alone PCM. Swap to a built 200r4 trans, with a loose converter. Build a custom long-travel 2wd ifs. 4-link rear with 20” coilovers on hoops thru the hood & cargo floor. 40 gal fuel cell in the back. Shave weight anywhere you can...get rid of everything that doesn’t make it go fast. Then go run the hell out of it!

SlcHummer

A half-finished hack job is worth less than a stock virgin. At least with a virgin, you know what you got.
This is a perfect candidate for a competition build. I would never try to keep it stock-ish...it’s too far gone already. Gut the bitch. Full cage. Racing buckets & bedliner. Screw the heat & AC. Screw the BCM. Use a Painless streetrod wiring kit. Stand alone PCM. Swap to a built 200r4 trans, with a loose converter. Build a custom long-travel 2wd ifs. 4-link rear with 20” coilovers on hoops thru the hood & cargo floor. 40 gal fuel cell in the back. Shave weight anywhere you can...get rid of everything that doesn’t make it go fast. Then go run the hell out of it!

Well purchase it already and lets see this happen ;)

4speedfunk

Not for $6k. I can get an unmolested H3 for that...probably a better starting point. I was just suggesting the 2wd trophy build because it is already so butchered.
If you want to build a V8, 4WD, IFS, H3...put your money into a late model rollover 2500 chassis. Then drop a clean H3 body down on it. Not only would this be easier mechanically...but it’s very possible that most of the full-size wiring harness (and PCM, TCM, BCM) could be transferred to the H3, making this part of the swap much easier.

2010H3TAlpha

Not for $6k. I can get an unmolested H3 for that...probably a better starting point. I was just suggesting the 2wd trophy build because it is already so butchered.
If you want to build a V8, 4WD, IFS, H3...put your money into a late model rollover 2500 chassis. Then drop a clean H3 body down on it. Not only would this be easier mechanically...but it’s very possible that most of the full-size wiring harness (and PCM, TCM, BCM) could be transferred to the H3, making this part of the swap much easier.

Oh hell yeah, I’d be first in line for an H3T body on a 2500HD Duramax chassis.

humvee

I wouldn’t try adapting the i5 4l60 to the v8. From experience... If this 3 ever makes it back on the road, it will need a lot more than a stator shaft, input drum & bell housing.

I almost gave up mid conversion because of the transmission, & must admit I feel this guy’s pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk