• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

92 H1 won’t turn over

denisegold

Tried to start her up yesterday and it turned and cranked but didn’t catch (happens sometimes). I tried again a few times and then I turned key, glow plug light lit and went off then turned key and nothing. Did not turn over at all? Batteries are fully charged and I left it overnight and tried this am, same thing. All the typical start up lights glowed but turning key to ignition nothing.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Neo

Badfish
check that the starter bolts are tight, when i first got mine it wouldn't start because both bolts holding the starter were loose and it was hanging enough to bind. i had to helicoil one of the holes and change that bolt. sometimes when i turned the 93 off when hot it would be dead, messing with the shifter seems to help then. also be sure the reverse lockout button is not stuck in, i used to pull mine out with my fingers while shifting into neutral or park when trying to get it to turn over...

maybe a starter relay? i never checked that on mine. sometimes i would have to turn the key 20 times before it would engage. that's what my starter issues were over a 10 year period

Reloader

When I first got my 95 it wouldn't crank over in park till I pulled trans lever a little to the left. Then it would crank right over and start. I considered it a sort of security system. Eventually it would only start in neutral so I fixed it properly. The little ball switches in shifter assembly wear out and can't make contact. Could still be issue with starter itself. You need to apply 12 volts to the small wire connection on the starter from underneath engine right side. If starter starts cranking engine over then starter should be functional. Be very careful doing this. Be sure trans is in park and e-brake applied. The starters in these H1s are huge and priced accordingly. Mine looks large enuff to be on an 18 wheeler. Had to use a floor jack to let it down to allow removal of oil pan.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Neutral safety switch could be out. As Steve said sometimes it is just the position of the shifter but that usually means you need to start looking for the issue. Locals starter shop by me rebuilds the starters for $100.00. Takes about 30-45 minutes to remove one. Top bolt is the b^&th. I would guess they weigh about 60#s.

denisegold

Looks like it is the starter. Checked all relays and fuses. Juice to the starter but nothing, even hotwired it and still nada. Needs to be replaced.

denisegold

Swapped in the new starter (1.5hrs work) and she cranked right over. Lovely!!!

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have one rebuilt and one GM non-OEM that fits and works. Not waterproof but half the size and weight of the original. Much easier to install.