• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

2006 Hummer H3, No Rear Drive

olpaul

Probationary Member
Hi Guys and Girls,
I'm new to the 4 WD Hummer community, however, I am an experienced mechanic. My friend just bought a 2006 Hummer H3 with a manual gearbox. The problem started when she was driving to work, the transmission/transfer case started making a racket. She parked it at work, but now it won't move in any gear. When you start the engine and lift off the clutch, it engages and you can feel the transmission engaging, the front drive shaft spins, but the front wheels don't move, and the rear drive shaft does doesn't move at all. When you put it in reverse, it makes a terrible racket but still doesn't move. After reading some posts, I'm thinking the transfer case may be the problem. Since there are no locking hubs, it's a given the front diff and/or CV joints are toast. Any help would be appreciated.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I'd start with the front diff as the issue first. Turn H3 ignition on but do not start it. Put the transfer case selector switch in 4 high lock (the middle button). Once it engages, start the H3. You should be able to move if it is the front diff (or a CV) that's bad. At least you can tell if a CV is bad with a 10 second visual inspection of each CV boot since it will be destroyed.

If you want to be slightly safer, you could remove the front propshaft before trying this, but if you just want to test this then you only need to roll forward a foot.