• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Year in Review

kflips

I bought my truck in March 2010, started looking at forums around July, & started working a build around November 2010

For 2011, my first full year with the T has resulted in:

Modifications to include beefed up transmission, 4:56 front & rear diffs, RCV CV joints, front winch & winch mount, dual batteries, gobi rack & lights; improved shocks, sway bars.....you get the picture

5 offroad trips - 2 training at Rausch Creek, 2 offroading & socializing at Rausch Creek, and 1 offroading trip in Maine, multiple uses of the T to get to/from some muddy hunting areas.

Broke - 2 CV shafts, 2 tie rods, 1 front diff, 1 rear brake line & bracket

And - I've met about 16 great folks who love to offroad

We'll see what 2012 brings but it should be pretty fun.

What about your year in review?

LagunaH1

Great thread!

2011 was the year where I parted ways with my first Hummer, my 2008 H3 Alpha Adventure, and got my 1997 HMCS Turbo Diesel. I enjoyed 2 fantastic trips to Moab in the H1 with amazing wheeling and great friendships, new and old. I also went on several amazing local wheeling trips, some turned out to be a lot longer than anticipated but as always they turned out to make great memories.

I still haven't broken anything on the trail, although I got close in the H3. Knock on wood things will stay that way.

I hope 2010 brings more of the same: Great wheeling adventures with my friends and more amazing memories.

:cheers:

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Love this!

For me 2011 brought about my first real off road experience in nov.
Started to get deeper into the forums and build up my H3 knowledge.
Found this wonderful H4O site :D
and met some of the great ppl behind it.

2012 will hopefully bring about some more accessories to the 3 and some more wheelin :)

Sent via Tapatalk

M

MUTAINT

Excellent recap kflips! I look forward to meeting/wheeling with you in 2012 maybe RC in April!

I have already met and rode your rig.:wink:

AbsntMnded

Got my H3 in July 2010. Made 3 trips to Rausch Creek this year with no broken parts (must not have pushed hard enough). I met some great people along the way. After the first trip, I learned it was time to stock up on skids/UCP. Rock rails are next.

MUTAINT:

RC in April.... I like the sound of that. :thumbs:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Love this thread idea!!!!!

Year in review for 2011

I hit my third year of owning the H3 this october. This year was great and learned alot and really became obsessed with wheeling and tinkering.

I broke:
1 front diff
1 tie rod
1 halfshaft
I ran:
Gorman trails about 5-8 times
Dry canyon trail 4 times
Miller jeep trail 1 time
Gold mountain 1 time
Sluice box obstacle 6 times
Wheeler ridge 1 time
Bishop trail on Sunday (forgot name) 1 time
Last chance canyon 1 time
Drinkwater flats 4 times
Rowher flats 2 times
Local trails in castaic atleast a dozen times
Snow run in frazier (forgot name) one time
there's more that I am forgetting that I will eventually remember.
All these trails were between easy and difficult

Damage: front door and rear driver door, fender 2 times bumper got destroyed lol

This year in mods:
Gobi rack, 2nd spare, 4 Piaa lights, rear locker, strengthen UCP, new cb antenna, rocky road sliders, custom skid, painted emblems, rims and grille. Rancho lift before 2012! There's more but escaping me

Future:
I want to thank alot of the socal members, tim, Bebe, recon and everyone on here for a great year. I was pushed to learn from the best and even got into welding and fabrication. I even learned alot about motors and drivetrains! I hope this next year to get bumpers and a diff upgrade from stock. I hope to tackle tougher trails and continue to learn. Ill probably hit 100k miles in 2012 too :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Hmmm . . .

Not too many mods to the truck since most were in place already. Did install the tomp rear skids, extra protection welded onto the UCP, finally got some KM2s, tinted the windows so dark I can't see out the back at night, and started this little hangout for the best HUMMER fans out there.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Hmmm . . .

Not too many mods to the truck since most were in place already. Did install the tomp rear skids, extra protection welded onto the UCP, finally got some KM2s, tinted the windows so dark I can't see out the back at night, and started this little hangout for the best HUMMER fans out there.

Definitely liking what alrock did this year!!! :)

Sent via Tapatalk

cbetts

NERD!!!
Not much added to my truck this year:

• 35" BFG KM2 Tires
  • Defender Rack
  • Pep Boys Driving Lights
  • Flip-up license plate mount for the rear
Ran a lot of trails though:
  • Hungry Valley SVRA- 3 times
  • Last Chance Canyon - 2 times
  • Bishop - 2 times
    • Silver Canyon
    • Wyman Canyon
    • Wheeler Ridge
    • Elderberry Canyon
  • Big Bear
    • Gold Mountain
    • John Bull (Denied access at the Gatekeeper)
  • Cleghorn/2N17X
  • Anza Borrego (ride along with Zach)
I managed to not break anything this year but it was not from lack of trying. One run in Hungry Valley did result in a dent in the left rear door and a LOT of deep pinstrips across the entire truck.

I am really looking forward to next year!

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really good year. Two trips to Moab, ran John Bull, 2N17X, Last Chance Canyon, Gold Mountain, Cleghorn and a few others. As always the association with some great people on the trails and the forum is the real highlight of the year. Looking forward to doing it all again with this ever expanding great group in 2012. I think all I broke was a tire on Gold Mountain.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
It was a great year since I finally got to try my truck out after all these year of working on it.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Nacho

Now with Chese
It was a good year, bought the 3 in february. Was able to do 7 off road trips with the group out here.

Looking forward to what next year brings.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Had a great year wheeling, met a lot of new people and joined the best Hummer forum around.

Trails run
Anza Borrego 2x

Big Bear
Snow run 2x
Gold Mountain 2 3/4 the 3/4 wasn't by choice
John Bull broke a half shaft

Cleghorn 2x lost a rear ring gear
2N17x
Hungry Valley 2x
Silverado Canyon 1x
Trabuco canyon 1x

Bishop
Wheeler Ridge 3x
Silver Canyon 2x

Last Chance Canyon 2x
Mall Crawling a few times

Looking forward to meeting new people in 2012 and wheeling with the great group we have here in So Cal

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I must say carnage wise I feel like the so cal guys did a decent job. While we did have some breakdowns, we did get out on the trails a lot this year and we went to some pretty tough places.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
BUMP! The year is almost over...Look back at your 2011 posts and see how it compared to 2012.

2012 was a great year for squeaky! Lots of changes and lots of trails.

First off, the mods.
-I did the rancho lift
-messed around with 2 sets of rancho springs.
-then went with deavers
-then took a grinder and welder to squeaky and did a spring over!
-Got new crown performance brakelines
-New double cardian driveshaft for the front
-hunner steering rack sleeve
-Hunner new and improved steering rack sleeve
-atvspeed4's delrin diff brace bushings
-brushguard w/ winch mount (not installed)
-4:1 case (not installed)
-Cast iron diff (not installed)

The damage
-Got a new head replaced
-changed rusted coil pack
-Regular trail brush and pinstriping
-shock mount (due to un bumpstopped suspension)
-NO broken parts (ie:halfshafts, tie rods, steering racks, diffs)
-Transmission module thingy inside trans

Trails
-Moab
seven mile rim
Moab rim
Hells Revenge
Hell roaring rim
Gold Bar rim
Long canyon
Lockhart basin
-John Bull
-2N17X
-Last Chance Canyon
-Gorman 2 times
-Dry Canyon trail 2 times
-various local trails, probably over 10
Total: about 25 trails.

Most importantly I took 2 trails off my bucketlist of tougher trails to do.
Moab rim and John bull

To end 2012 I will probably hit 100,000 miles, currently I am 294 miles away!

It has been a good year and I am proud to have done tougher trails then I have in the past without a breakdown, Im either lucky or my driving is improving...

-Install uninstalled parts
-front locker
-beefed up front diff
-beefier tie rods
-more trails
-moab

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Man, HUMMER wise for me this year sucked. No off road trips, unless you count my daughter wanting to take the deuce out for some driving lessons on a dirt road.
The one chance I had to show the deuce off to another forum member, I forgot and drove the van that day, now he won't quit laughing; you know who you are JGGB.
Did get a new winch bumper--three days after I traded my winch for a go-kart!
No mods, one oil change.
This new year will bring new tires (hopefully 37's), more than likely also bringing on some new front end parts--like it or not.
The year has also finally shown the demise of HUMMER with the least amount of cool parts and swhag on Fleabay and Craigslist since we've had our HUMMER---the writing is on the wall, parts, especially new parts, are now harder to find---and more expensive when you do find them. U-steps hit an all time high on Ebay at $999 plus shipping on the Bay, and are now holding at $700-$800 for new/hardly used.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Man, HUMMER wise for me this year sucked. No off road trips, unless you count my daughter wanting to take the deuce out for some driving lessons on a dirt road.
The one chance I had to show the deuce off to another forum member, I forgot and drove the van that day, now he won't quit laughing; you know who you are JGGB.
Did get a new winch bumper--three days after I traded my winch for a go-kart!
No mods, one oil change.
This new year will bring new tires (hopefully 37's), more than likely also bringing on some new front end parts--like it or not.
The year has also finally shown the demise of HUMMER with the least amount of cool parts and swhag on Fleabay and Craigslist since we've had our HUMMER---the writing is on the wall, parts, especially new parts, are now harder to find---and more expensive when you do find them. U-steps hit an all time high on Ebay at $999 plus shipping on the Bay, and are now holding at $700-$800 for new/hardly used.

Twin, I still have some bling for you lol

Expendable

only had my Hummer since September. But purchased her in September drove from San Francisco (including down Russian Hill) to Pismo Beach. Left her there a week with my parents and my dad's H1. when I came back we took her onto the beach but not into the dunes. Drove her down to Burbank where she is slowly getting a baseline maintenance done. Early in October, met up with a H1 owner in Santa Clarita at a car show. then about a week later found some 2 piece dual beadlock Hutchinson Alloys for H1. and then a little bit later in the Month I met up with some of the SoCal group at the Santa Clarita meeting area for the Last Chance Canyon run. That's pretty much it.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Looking back.....Went to the badlands a couple of times, and redbird sra, and went to the local mud fest. Got stuck a couple of times along the way too :)

Mods done:
-Rock sliders
-Hunner skidz
-painted fenders black with plasti dip
-picked up a BA bumper (waiting install)
-mounted awning and hi-lift to GOBI

Hope to finally get my BA this next year.

Only damage was some pinstriping and mud scrapes.

Overall a nice mellow year.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Hmm, 2012 . . .

New radiator
New cylinder head
Installed rear locker, courtesy of MaxPF
Gobi Stealth Rack
Rigid D2s and a 10" E Series light bar, OTRATTW switches
New transmission
Scorpworks side diff mount
2 new CV axles and seals
Little stuff like rear brake caliper, camshaft position sensors, driver's side mirror, HVAC resistor fix, Hunner steering rack sleeve, parking brake lever

New trails:
Moab Rim
Gold Mountain
Powerline
Redington Pass
Sleeping Princess

2013:
Scorpworks steering rack mount
Scorpworks upper control arms

Expendable

What H1 in scv? There's a few but haven met them yet

76573_4790746726544_237376155_n.jpg

2001 Pewter Wagon. Mostly stock.

It's his Father's, but his Father doesn't really drive it anymore so he drives it and maintains it. I believe it has less than 70K on it. He takes it out to Rowher flats every once in a while.