• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Year in Review

jakesz28

Hmm. 2012, I have had the Hummer a couple years but the mods just started.
Rear rack above spare tire.
Thor Parts front bumper and 9000 lb winch.
Warrior Products roof rack.
Bilstien front shocks.
35" Nitro trail grapplers.
2 new spare rack and pinions.
Rear sway bar disconnects.
Thor Parts rear bumper.

Waiting to be installed, dual batteries, onboard air(Puma compressor and tank), extended shackles, rear locker.

I have been to the cliffs insane terrain twice this year. With all the time on the road for work, I haven't done as much as I would have liked. Next year I am going to try to make it to Moab.

kflips

Trips:

Sunday River Maine
Drummond Island Michigan
Rausch Creek Pennsylvania
Two small day trips checking out trails in GW National Forest
1 local meet & greet set up by supersapper
2 local maintenance & obstacle course events put on by a local Hummer group (mainly H1's)

Hit more technical trails where possible

Mods/Adds:

Thorparts rear bumper, front drive shaft, UCP add on.
Blacked out remainder of the truck
Truck Vault storage unit
MIA & Wounded Warrior stick on for the slant back for Memorial Day
Replaced Tcase

Acquired a modified HMMWV - 6.5TD, 4l80E, 242 Tcase, 39.5 super swampers, UCP & rocker panels, front & rear winch

Actions:

Stuck requiring strap or winch 3 times
Drove Hirola from Michigan to Virginia when his alternator belt & pulley crapped out on him
Saw again or met around 40 folks this year at the offroad events.

poncho1965

Mods this year:

CBPhoto winch mount & reinforcement plates. Recon 10.5k winch. Cranked T-bars. Tomp low profile shock mounts. Preferred Chassis Fabrication diff crossmember. Schwarttzy iPod adapter.

Mods for 2013:

PCF steering rack mount. CB radio install. 16mm tie rods. Wish I could do a cast iron front diff with locker, 35's but this can wait!

Trails:

Cerro Gordo/Swansea loop.
Goler wash to Barker Ranch.
South Park Canyon.
Sleeping Princess, AZ

Sent using Tapatalk

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Well another year is just about in the books! So how was your year with the Hummer? What trails and mods did you do? Any broken parts? :corn:

Ill start,

Trails
Miller Jeep Trail 1x
Dry Canyon in Frazier Park 2x
Gorman 5x
Moab 1x this year conquered Hells gate and the escalator!
John Bull 2x
Dishpan Springs 1x
Rowher Flats 2x
Drinkwater Flats 2x
Last Chance Canyon 1x
Mottino Wash 1x First H3 to do it! Bspec with his TJ was skeptical and wasnt sure an H3 could do it but was shocked at how well I did.
I am sure theres more but I am forgetting so overall I hit the trails probably 1-2 times a month would have been but September my wheeling came to a halt with broken parts

Carnage
Broken front diff (Pinion gear chewed up)
Punctured sidewall

New Mods
Rock Lights
4:1 Tcase
CI diff w/ locker, cryoed gears, crush sleeve eliminator etc. (shipping out today)
Sway bar disconnects
Brushguard w/ winch mount
Smittybilt 10k Winch
Mayhem Steering Rack Bracket and Bushings
Notched Rancho Crossmember for easy removal of steering rack
New PS pump
New Rack and pinion
Outfitter Design Rancho bushing
Outfitter Design Diff brace bushing
Panavise cell phone mount
I am sure I have more but am forgetting.

Overall
It was a great year. I ended last year at 100k and now am at 117k (untuned PCM makes it about 118-119k) I got most of my 2013 goals done for squeaky (except beefier tie rods) I took the doors off and learned how much weight loss helps. I cant wait to see what year 6 of ownership brings.

Next year plans
Rigid lights (supposedly my girlfriend approached my brother, the rigid industries king, about lights for my xmas present so those should be installed by january)
See how long the new diff holds up
new front shocks
tackle potato salad hill
Hit the Hammer trails for the first time
Buy 345/75/16 KM2s These are a very small 37, really measures more to a 36. (much later in the year)
Desperately need a PCM tune
Stop procrastinating on my trans cooler install
Lastly, Armor. I have said this for over a year and decided I need to make steps towards making it easier. I bought a plasma cutter and an air compressor on black friday and have been saving for a JD2 tube bender. Once I have the bender armor can start.

Lastly, be ready for any unexpected repairs, especially at 117k miles.

Highatop

Ok, this is cool. Me, got my 06 base in April. We didn't plan on it but, glad we did...After goin to China Wall to test, alone Steven and me out all stock w/ nerf bars. Pushed it and had fun and Steven (my Son) made him real nerves. That was fun. Also knowin, not many people around in the middle of the week at that time. We started thinkin...We need a few things...

Mods,This short year...

Tires, From 265s street to 285 A/Ts
Leveled w/ new bumpstops Bilsteins in front. Great look and wanted new tires already...
THORparts front bumper w/ bullbar. Great bumper and look.
Winch Warn Zion 8/S. Their, latest an greatest... It is sealed.
OEM Rock rails, A very good investment
Hunner Skids, still not installed?
CB-Cobra 75 w/4ft Firestick. Mounted, driver side back bumper
OEM UCP
315/75/16 Goodtear Duratacs. Got these after my second time in Moab. I already knew I needed them but, hangin out w/ Bkack Sheep. I got them now...

Damage and or repairs. I think, I'm the only one that has worked it...

Damage...none, besides alittle tree pinstripes
Repairs...Tierods upper, brakes and tensioner w/ belt... I think?

Trails, in this short time...
China Wall 4 or more. Its very close and We can make it tough as we want and test
Hacketts
Metberry
Longwater
Moab, Twice. 1 w/ you guys and 1 before. I swear, it was before I knew you...
Hells 2x, Not the rad parts but, was able to run it w/ TX Mike and for Steven, he went w/ our boy Neo
Arches, the back counrty
Moab Rim, again w/ Black Sheep and again TXMike on that darn Zturn
Top of the World, w/ our H4O group
Metal Masher kinda. If our boy Neo, isn't goin through it or on top of it. I'm not goin...

Plans for 2014...Tryin to stay real but...

4:1 Transfer case. I want this first and build from there
Strongr front end
Rear lockers
And of cousre, More wheelin...

I already know this... I want more mods for my rig and wheel it to show the haters...

See you all in April... This is fun...:thumbs:

kflips

2013 year in review:

Hummer H3T -- no offroad activities, could not make the dates that were scheduled which kills me.
improvements -- outfitter design tie rods, preferred chassis crossmember and diff bushings, rear firestone airbags and
daystar airbag cradle. replaced one front wheel bearing

HMMWV - first year learning

- offroad at blackmountain KY, Anthracite offroad adventure in PA and one other H1 run. Broke a power steering gearbox on the first run, two halfshafts on the second (nothing to be proud of - bad driving), & took a bite out of the hood when one of the d rings on the hood got pushed back from clearing out of a steep decline on the third.

- mods - added a rubber duck rear slantbac rac, wheel protectors, full UCP with center UCP, HMMWV specific spares and repair gear, medical storage boxes for storage gear, apple apps to use for speedomter and waze, flight.com headsets (loud, very loud without earplugs or headsets).

The width of the HMMWV is a restriction on trails, that said, after using both a hummer h3T with rear lockers and the HMMWV
HMMWV wins hands down in the offroad fun and degree of difficulty category; H3T wins hands down for all around on and offroad use.

HMMWV- no electronics, deep water fording kit, no AC, rhino lined wash and go interior -- primitive but fun

Met many folks at these events- two of them hummer club events with about 1/3 H1, 1/3 H2, 1/3 H3-H3T participation.

2014 Goals

Get the H3T out again, improve driving of the H1 (not invincible), get up to Drummond Island again

BlueSteeleHorse07

Well, let see, after several years of owning the 2, I finally made the decision to take it off-road to see what it’s made off. Since I was clueless where any off-road sites were. I decided to google “Hummer Off-road” came to a couple of hummer forum sites, i.e., Elcova, Hummer Forum, joined Hummer Forum. Through this site, I met (in a matter of speaking), Bendy, she directed me to “H40” forum site, thus meeting David (3Hummers), Candy (Calamity Girl) , and Steve (Frumaker).

Attended the Killeen “Meet and Greet”, March 10, 2013; met David (3 Hummers) and his wife, Calamity Girl (Candyi), Steve (Frumaker) and Bonnie, Chris (Cdarveaux) and his father, Renee; Chris (Sickstring C).

Attended my first off-road at Hidden Falls, met the other H40 members: Julie (Bendy) and Lincoln; Roger, Julie, and their kid; Mike (AFMike) and his kid, and of course the other H40 gang: Steve, Chris and his father, Renee, Candi, and Chris (Austin) with two of his jeep off-roaders friends (sweet looking jeeps, too) and later in the day, ROMAD. I have to admit for me, this was probably the greatest time I had, especially for a guy who is anti-social (I been told a lot that I am).

Attended my second off-road event, May 5, 2013, Wheelers for the Wounded, both Chris (Cdarveaux), (in his H3T) and I (H2) attended that event. We did our best to represent H40, I think we both did an great job (Hell, we went through all the obstacles they went in, Level II – Level V), considering the majority of the off-roaders were jeeps, which were 85% of the 100 – 150 + off-road drivers there, with the exception of the Range Rover Off-road Club, consisting of a dozen vehicles, and couple of Chevy trucks.

Damage: Driveshaft got bent, no big deal, drove it home, bought a new one and replaced, all was well.

All in all, it was great, only two issues:
1. No more placing “Meet and Greet” invitations, personally placed more than 50 invitations on the windshield wipers of 50 Hummers to include handing them to several Hummer owners. NONE ATTENDED. Big disappointment, never again.
2. Don’t purchase 35s when 37s are better.

From my family to your family…….Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Dan

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Dan, sounds like a great year as you learned a lot about the truck and the Hummer and H4O communities

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

BlueSteeleHorse07

Dan, sounds like a great year as you learned a lot about the truck and the Hummer and H4O communities

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

That I did, I surely did, to the Texas H40 community here, I salute you all! Happy New Year! Now if I can just convince some of the deuce owners to join us and go off-road, gotta come up with a plan to rope or entice them into taking their rig off-road. Maybe another Meet and Greet, this time, instead of going into a restaurant, how about having a good ole BBQ at the lake, or at the Pavillion at Hidden Falls.

Dan

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Whirlwind year!! Purchased a house, got married, worked a ton, and tomorrow I'm picking up a new toy. It's bright yellow...sorry, not another Hummer (yet). I wanted something fast. It's a GM, has a 6.0 and a Tremec transmission. NOT a Corvette. Any guesses? I'll post pics after I pick it up in PA tomorrow.

JGBB04

All the mod money went towards camping gear this year, best of which I think was the addition of a fridge for the T. No more soggy food & I don’t have mess w/ getting ice any more. Also finally got around to putting on my Thor parts rear bumper. The T also gets paid off this month so that will free up some mod money. As for trips we did a couple of expo style runs this which was a lot of fun. Most of you know Gator from HXC, he got the expo bug after doing the Ultimate Adventure run a couple of years ago & hasn’t stopped planning trips since.

First was our FEW (Fla expedition wheelers) trip where we tried to go across Fla using as little pavement as possible, didn’t actually make it coast to coast but did a big loop around the middle part of the state. One of the guys Jay, that came along writes for some of the offroad mags & we wound up have our trip published in 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility magazine.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/events/1311-crossing-florida-part-1/
http://www.fourwheeler.com/events/1312-crossing-florida-part-2/

Next up was our FAR (Fla Adventure Rigs) trip to Georgia. We went Durhamtown Plantation & Beasley Knob which are both great spots. Jay came along again so that might make it into another magazine article also. You can find pics here if you’re on FB.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/FloridaAdventureRigs/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trails-From-The-FAR-Side/

Last edited:

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
SSR- edit that was a aluminum 5.3 I believe.

Silverado SS?

Nailed it! The 05 and 06 have the 6.0. And a manual gearbox. :D

6yhe2ama.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
I shot over 12,000 rounds of .223/5.56 in my AR. Just under 1000 of .300 win mag in my bolt gun & 2000 .45 ACP out of my H&K UMP. All that training has really paid off, and the results have shown it.

I lost count of how many shotgun rounds. Don't keep a log book on my shotguns.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Last edited: