• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Looking for recommendation for a horn

TonkaToy

So my horn on my '10 H3 seems to have died. Since I'm replacing it I would like it to sound less whimpy. Do you guys have an recommendations for an easy upgrade?

Thnx

Last edited:

woodwardsh3

if you have a pic and pull auto recycler the older Cadillac horns are loud. and should be a easy swap. the older the cadi the better. 1970's 1980'

JPaul

I went with the Cadillac horns, can't recall what year the set was out of, maybe early 90's. I wired them to a relay and used the existing horn wiring to trigger the relay, with the horns drawing power through the relay which I wired directly to the battery.

I still need to get them into the Alpha, I pulled them out of the red H3 when I went to sell it.

The Cadillac horns are great because they are dirt cheap, sturdy, legal, and sound terrific.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4speedfunk

A horn failure can often be traced to an over-rotated steering wheel. This can accidentally happen during a steering rack swap, if the column is not locked during the procedure. The horn, cruise control, turn signal, brights, airbag, and wiper circuits...are all routed thru a fragile ribbon cable inside the steering column. This cable is coiled up inside the smart switch and when it breaks you can loose power to any/all of these devices.
If you have had recent work done to your truck, you may want to check the voltage going to the horn, before replacing it. It might be the wiring and not the horn itself.

TonkaToy

A horn failure can often be traced to an over-rotated steering wheel. This can accidentally happen during a steering rack swap, if the column is not locked during the procedure. The horn, cruise control, turn signal, brights, airbag, and wiper circuits...are all routed thru a fragile ribbon cable inside the steering column. This cable is coiled up inside the smart switch and when it breaks you can loose power to any/all of these devices.
If you have had recent work done to your truck, you may want to check the voltage going to the horn, before replacing it. It might be the wiring and not the horn itself.

We first checked the fuse and the relay then the voltage to the horn to rule out any wiring problems. We do have voltage to the horn so we have concluded it is the horn. Crossing fingers.

TonkaToy

May have to look into a Caddy horn. Also thinking of putting in a 2017 Chevy Silverado 3500HD two tone horn. It looks like it would be a piece of cake to swap out.

JPaul

If you're not familiar with what we're talking about with the Cadillac horns, they are a 4 piece/tone set on the older ones. Yes, 4 separate horns, each with a different note. Together they are loud and sound great. That's why I wired them to a relay since there was no way the stock wiring would support all 4 of them. Even just one is larger than the stock horn.

Here is the link to my build thread with a pic: https://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/fo...-H3-Base-build&p=194890&viewfull=1#post194890

Also: https://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/fo...-H3-Base-build&p=194898&viewfull=1#post194898

Acer4LO

I'm not that orginal, but I went with some Hella Horns off of amazon: https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-Protec...F8&qid=1544470830&sr=8-3&keywords=Hella+Horns

I cut a peice of metal to serve as a bracket so they are evenly spaced. I cut off the harness from the factory horn and conected to my new horns for easy connection.

i-Jhdc4bn-L.jpg

i-bBtVG7C-L.jpg

i-MtQjV67-L.jpg