• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

2019 Black Sheep Week - April 21

jakesz28

I should make it this year. Finally confirmed the job that has gotten in the way in the past is next week. Will be nice getting back out there. Will be 4 of us, the wife and 2 kids are coming with.

JPaul

I'm looking at getting one of Midland's GMRS mobiles along with a couple handhelds. I like that for trail use you don't have to mess around with the normal ham formalities, and GMRS/FRS handhelds are compact and plentiful whereas CB handhelds are still the size of bricks and each manufacturer only makes one or two models and they aren't cheap.

LagunaH1

The things about GMRS is that call signs you get are even more in-pronounceable than HAM call signs. My GMRS call is WQZC486. Try getting THAT right LOL!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rascole

I recently went on 2 trail runs and we used the little hand held FRS radios only. In my opinion they are better than CBs. We were in a mix of terrain and in Big Bear we were able to get 1/2 mile on Holcomb and we stopped at a mile in Anza Borrego, more than enough for a trail run. A new club I visited also only uses FRS when they are out. These are the cheap $50 units so I would assume that there are better ones out there.

JPaul

The things about GMRS is that call signs you get are even more in-pronounceable than HAM call signs. My GMRS call is WQZC486. Try getting THAT right LOL!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I have a GMRS license as well now, WRCX566. That is a lot longer and harder to say than my N1JPA ham call sign.

Up until a few minutes ago I thought that while you were issued a call sign for GMRS, you didn't actually need to transmit it periodically like you do with amateur radio, you only needed to be able to provide it if someone asked for it. Now after a short sprint on Google I discover that I am wrong, and that you do need to transmit your GMRS call sign at least once and every 15 minutes... That is a stupid a$$ requirement in my opinion, especially considering how long the call signs are, and the fact that one call sign is usable by your entire family, so now my kids would need to know it as well if they want to use the GMRS channels.

I'm all for following the rules, but come on, that is just dumb and was probably done to appease some whiny hams that don't even use GMRS themselves. I will be honest and say that I would really like to just use GMRS without transmitting my call sign and if someone complains I'll give it then. I'm really wondering why I bothered paying the $70 for something that right now only covers the ability to use more than a couple watts, which in most cases is plenty, and the ability to have a remotely mounted antenna. Maybe some day they'll drop the requirement to transmit your call sign like they did with CB. I just want a decent radio system I can use without all the formalities of amateur radio with my family and friends. CB isn't that, and there are no mobile's for FRS since you cannot have a removable antenna (I bet the only reason for that is so that you can't hook it to an amplifier easily, because it's so hard to remove the antenna and solder in a connector...).

LagunaH1

Maybe consider MURS?

I'm not aware of *any* license or identification requirements there.

For GMRS I do tend to agree with you though.... -The "problem" with HAM radios is the range. The limit is 1500 watts, so you could have a really huge range. -That's where the "policing" and ID requirements IMO gets relevant. For low power stuff like MURS and GMRS, I think it's silly to have to ID.

Last edited:

LagunaH1

I recently went on 2 trail runs and we used the little hand held FRS radios only. In my opinion they are better than CBs. We were in a mix of terrain and in Big Bear we were able to get 1/2 mile on Holcomb and we stopped at a mile in Anza Borrego, more than enough for a trail run. A new club I visited also only uses FRS when they are out. These are the cheap $50 units so I would assume that there are better ones out there.

I agree. FRS beats CB hands down as long as you are within "line of sight"

Kurt

My plans are starting to solidify now, I may have room at a condo/vacation rental if I book later this week. Looks like I have a friend and his son who may be joining me for the week trip flying in from Canada, and might have another friend from LA coming along, we may have to shift our arrival date to sunday to get a better selection of rentals because it looks like coming in on Saturday theres a few places still booked.

So if someone needs a room to split at the last minute I may have space for you.

speedy

Sir Welds a Lot
Just a little trim on the rear bumper :wink: and the 40's officially fit. Now all we need is the rear axle and we'll be ready for Moab.
IMG_4432.JPGIMG_4433.JPGIMG_4436.JPGIMG_4435.JPG

Last edited:

JPaul

With adding in the trip down to AZ for Overland Expo West I think I'm just going to stay at the Outpost and camp out to save some coin. I installed the truck topper on my M101 trailer last week so I think I'm going to try using it as a camper. Neo, is there a water source available at your place?

jakesz28

Well I had swapped to a 4:1 transfer case since I was here last. I have a used GM electric locker for the rear dif that I have not inspected or installed. But today the Powertrax no slip locker showed up. Going in this week.
Cant wait to be back at Moab.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
A/C is no longer cold. Hope a simple recharge will make it last a while.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bebe

Speedy and Bebe update.

Big H3's rear axle won't be done in time to make the trip :gaah: We are bringing the rzr.

Our new Puppy, who we thought we would have in time now won't be coming home until the 27th. So we have to leave Friday AM so we can get home and pick her up at the Airport on Saturday.

Meet Gerle:
SXN - 8W - Female - Sit - Purple Black - Gerle.jpg

She'll be with us on the next trip.

She's a German Pinscher and will mature to less than 40lbs.

Kurt

Some family situation happened and I'll have to bow out this trip for now, I'll probably wind up coming out in the Fall instead when circumstances are better. You guys and gals have fun and have a safe trip!