• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

2019 Black Sheep Week - April 21

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
It's time to start planning! We'll start Black Sheep Week as Easter Jeep Safari ends on Easter Sunday, April 21. Most wheeling starts on Monday, with most attendees arriving on Sunday. Arrive and depart as it fits in your schedule.

The big change this year? Umm, no more Outpost :gaah:. We'll have to figure out a new meeting place.

A variety of lodging options are available in Moab, including commercial campgrounds, rough camping, hotels (Motel 6 often has the best rates). Condos on the south side of town are becoming more popular. If you can get 3+ together, you may save some money vs. hotels. Check out VRBO.com. All vehicles are welcome - Hummers, Jeeps, Rovers, Scorpions, RZRs, etc.

First timers - the prerequisite is to have fun! As for your vehicle, you'll want the following: good off-road tires, undercarriage protection (skid plates), spare parts for common breakages for your vehicle (CV axles, u-joints, etc.), any specialty tools for your vehicle (wheel locks, odd size sockets/wrenches), air compressor (most air down for the week and air up at the end, but some days have longer roads home so airing up is advised), cooler for your daily bevs/lunch (no alcohol on the trails, please), CB radio preferred.

What's our daily agenda? Meet at 9ish at a new place TBD, go do a trail, get back into town. We've been doing group dinners at one of the condos more often in the past couple of years (mmm, looking forward to Ugly Beans!) and that's becoming more of the evening gathering place.

First times - no worries, we will not get you over your head or let you do any foolish stuff. We'll keep an eye on you and your rig and coach you through things and build your skills before you do anything too difficult.

Attendee List

Best guess and confirmed is below. I will start cleaning up as we get confirmations. Italics is unconfirmed

# in PartyAttendeesVehicleLodgingConfirmed?Arrival/Departure DatesState
1NeoZR2OutpostYUT/CO
23HummersH1CondoYSat-FriTX
1AlrockH3CondoYSat-SatAZ
2Reloader & JeriH3ACondoYSat-SatAZ
2LagunaH1WJCondoYCA
1JasonJKCondoYSat-SatAZ
2Bebe & SpeedyH3CondoYSat-SatNV
1.5JR3TH3TCondoYAZ
1Oltorf the DestroyerH2YTX
4jakesz28H3CondoYMO
1jpaulH3YUT
2.5backcountryJKNCO
1SLChummerH3YFriday 4/26-4/28UT

Last edited:

MilamJR

Thanks for posting. Was there Memorial Day weekend for the first time, got to run Poison Spider and really enjoyed it. Two issues to overcome. 1. Wife’s birthday is on the 25th. 2. That is one long drive from Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MilamJR

Her first, only and probably last off road adventure was Poison Spider at Moab so not looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverton34

There is a pretty fair chance I won’t make it this year, our anticipated moving date is June so April and May will likely be packing and selling the house. We are also buying a condo in Iowa so some stuff goes there and some to Arizona. Ridding out 25 years of accumulated “stuff” will be quite a task.

Woodtick

As much as I want to do it again this year, we are looking to do CO for two weeks in June. There is no way I can do both. For any of you on the fence about attending this, do it. This group went out of there way to make sure I didn’t trash my Jeep that had only 7k on the clicker. They also went out of their way to make sure my wife and young daughter were having a good time. We signed up for Alex’s bonus tour from Flagstaff to Moab. 901BFC6C-0F26-49A7-9F4D-2AF5F3684347.jpeg

JPaul

I might make it down alone, but it's up in the air due to planning on moving as well. Our so called "Spring Break" this year is apparently just a couple days at the end of March. The teachers in our district are not happy, my wife included.

We're going to be listing our house in the spring most likely so that we can move by early to mid summer. Possibly earlier if the house sells quickly, heaven willing.

rascole

I can't make the april trip due to a major maintenance outage here at work. We do plan on making a trip out there before the end of August before Derek goes to basic training.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Count JJ and I in. Not sure on the vehicle yet. ( Scorpion or H1 ) I am up for sharing a condo again this year, it worked out real well last year.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
As much as I want to do it again this year, we are looking to do CO for two weeks in June. There is no way I can do both. For any of you on the fence about attending this, do it. This group went out of there way to make sure I didn’t trash my Jeep that had only 7k on the clicker. They also went out of their way to make sure my wife and young daughter were having a good time. We signed up for Alex’s bonus tour from Flagstaff to Moab. View attachment 24345

Monument Valley a great place to visit.

Korby7

I'm trying to talk my brother in law into coming down with me for a day or two in his JK. He's asking what trails we would be running on what days. Is that decided beforehand or voted on when we get there?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I'm trying to talk my brother in law into coming down with me for a day or two in his JK. He's asking what trails we would be running on what days. Is that decided beforehand or voted on when we get there?
It is decided on each day. We always run Hell's Gate on a day when we can include the most newcomers, since that could be considered the area's signature trail. We also decide based on mood of the group, capabilities of the rigs, etc. Votes and input are always welcome, especially if you only have a couple of days.

Korby7

I did Hells Revenge last year and watched a few people on Hells Gate but no one in our group wanted to try it. I'd ride along on Hells Gate but not 100% on driving it myself. It'd probably help to see a few H3s do it. I'll pester him and see what part of the week he'd be able to make it. If he's not able to make it, I'd probably get there myself for Monday. I'm only 180 miles north so I imagine I could drive down in the morning, hit some trails and head home after dinner. Try to keep it cheap so the wife will let me go at that time. I've already committed to going down for a week with a group of all black JKs the middle of May too. I'm the black sheep 'cause mine is white and not a Jeep. :giggle:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Well, if you come down you get a cool sticker and can buy an even cooler t-shirt. We've got lots of practice spotting H3s up Hell's Gate. But there's also no reason to not do it if you're not comfortable.
Moab%20April%202012-060-L.jpg

JPaul

Seems like for the gate I could put my rear air bags in and pump them up to help keep the COG from shifting very far back. Kind of the opposite of the suck down winch people use on the front. It would affect flexibility though. Not sure by how much.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

backcountryislife

I think I can make this work this year, got a 15 jkur now after a couple years without, went out & did gate, escalator & PSH a few weeks ago the day I put plates on the thing... I like it.
45890267_10217425385776415_4868416924041609216_n.jpg

It'd be nice to see some familiar faces!

If I can work out my usual trade (I trade a place I have in Ouray for one in Moab) I may have a few extra bedrooms, so if anyone is looking, give me a try. The only thing I pay is the cleaning fee, so not a bad deal.

Kaleb

Last edited:

Woodtick

I think I can make this work this year, got a 15 jkur now after a couple years without, went out & did gate, escalator & PSH a few weeks ago before I even had plates on the thing... I like it.
45890267_10217425385776415_4868416924041609216_n.jpg

It'd be nice to see some familiar faces!

If I can work out my usual trade (I trade a place I have in Ouray for one in Moab) I may have a few extra bedrooms, so if anyone is looking, give me a try. The only thing I pay is the cleaning fee, so not a bad deal.

Kaleb
I’m looking to base out of Ouray the end of June/19. Do you rent your place?

backcountryislife

I’m looking to base out of Ouray the end of June/19. Do you rent your place?

Yeah, I've got it set up on Airbnb, SUPER cheap during winter, but in the summer anyone that I know isn't a dirtbag I'm happy to just rent direct & cut the price a decent ways! I love it down there, right now trying to get my pilot's license and not getting down there much, but that's such a cool town.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/27651204?guests=1&adults=1

I have another here in Eagle as well... ;)

Last edited:

Highatop

Hey all, it is to soon to know whats happenin at that time yet. With havin new jobs now( no more Pepfarms ) its hard to commit After missin last year, which was an odd feelin all year, we want to go. I still haven't tried my 4:1 Tcase in Moab. I know tryin it here is great an want more. Hope all is good for everyone an hope to see you all there, fingers crossed...

RamRod

I planned on making it last year.... then had a trans issue that forced me to back out... fixed the trans issue and have o my driven the T 60 miles since (I know crazy right)....
I start a new job Jan 2nd... might be too quick to ask for some days.... but I might be just crazy enough to power down and back real quick.... I will have to judge it closer to the date!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

High Five H2

I know I say I'll go every year and then flake out, but I may be picking up an H2 next week!!! It's in CO and I'm in TX so if anyone wants to go look at it then I will be your best friend :-D

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I know I say I'll go every year and then flake out, but I may be picking up an H2 next week!!! It's in CO and I'm in TX so if anyone wants to go look at it then I will be your best friend :-D
Just buy it! What could go wrong?

Hoping we can get more people. This late Easter date is messing with schedules!