• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rascole new THOR parts bumpers and ARB compressor.

rascole

Finished my installation of me THOR parts bumpers. Installed my ARB air compressor inside the cavity of the front bumper, fits perfectly and air chuck mounts nicely up and out of the way. Added some 1/2" spacers to the front push bar so no grinding needed. I will weld them up before I get them sprayed with Line-X. The rear bumper is a lot easier to install with the hitch removed. I am going to weld in some 1/2" angle iron ears to the frame to mount the drivers side D ring.
20181201_104051 (1280x622).jpg
20181201_104057 (1280x622).jpg
20181202_114705 (622x1280).jpg
20181202_114711 (1280x622).jpg
20181202_133502 (1280x622).jpg
20181202_133524 (1280x622).jpg
20181202_133328 (1280x622).jpg
20181110_090839 (1280x622).jpg
20181110_090913 (1280x622).jpg

JPaul

That is a brilliant location. Only concern I have is maintenance of the compressor. I'd crawl under mine to check, but it's bitter cold and snowy here now. Is there room to get the compressor out without removing the bumper?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

rascole

That is a brilliant location. Only concern I have is maintenance of the compressor. I'd crawl under mine to check, but it's bitter cold and snowy here now. Is there room to get the compressor out without removing the bumper?

Thanks and no. The bumper sits right next to the core support. The bumper does come off really easy and I have the air inlet mounted inside the engine air intake box (post pics later on that). The ARB should be maintenance free for the most part. I liberally used dielectric grease on all the connection before installation.

JPaul

That's what I recall, it was a bit of a pain to get in there to tighten my winch bolts last time from what I remember. The problem with this location for me is I was considering putting in a front hitch receiver for moving trailers and whatnot with. I still may just put my compressor in the rear door.

I noticed the tubing going to the inlets for the cleaners. It looks like you're using clear vinyl tubing for that? If so I'd be careful if your running that clear to the air cleaner box, that stuff may collapse the moment you turn the compressor on, especially with that long of a run. It's hard enough to keep it from collapsing just at ambient air pressure, never mind under a small vacuum. I'd get the largest inside diameter compressed air hose you can find and use that instead, it will be far less prone to collapse. Running rigid pipe for most of the run would be best as well, some 1.5" or so inside the engine bay and the bumper with some flexible hose between the bumper and body would be good I think. With the long run it can choke the compressor a bit, so a larger diameter for most of the run will help it breath better.

rascole

That's what I recall, it was a bit of a pain to get in there to tighten my winch bolts last time from what I remember. The problem with this location for me is I was considering putting in a front hitch receiver for moving trailers and whatnot with. I still may just put my compressor in the rear door.

I noticed the tubing going to the inlets for the cleaners. It looks like you're using clear vinyl tubing for that? If so I'd be careful if your running that clear to the air cleaner box, that stuff may collapse the moment you turn the compressor on, especially with that long of a run. It's hard enough to keep it from collapsing just at ambient air pressure, never mind under a small vacuum. I'd get the largest inside diameter compressed air hose you can find and use that instead, it will be far less prone to collapse. Running rigid pipe for most of the run would be best as well, some 1.5" or so inside the engine bay and the bumper with some flexible hose between the bumper and body would be good I think. With the long run it can choke the compressor a bit, so a larger diameter for most of the run will help it breath better.
It's Tygon. We use it on our vacuum pumps with our analyzers so it holds up to very high vacuum. My only concern is heat, I may have to wrap it near the radiator. As far as size it is 1/2" nearly 4x the size of the inlet. I used a DOT elbow and T fitting for a common header.

MilamJR

Thinking about putting one where my former air ride compressor was on my H2 which was under the rear bumper. Any suggestions on this setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MilamJR

The factory one was there so I am sure there is room just wondering if anyone has done this before and has any tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPaul

Probably ask in the H2 section, but I'd imagine it'd be pretty simple.

Biggest thing to watch for I think would be making sure to use large enough gauge power cable to it, when going all out the dual can suck a lot of amps. I'd verify how long a run you need to the battery and use BlueSea's wire gauge calculator to determine the size of cable you'll need.

Don't forget when calculating the run you need to factor in both directions, so if the compressor is 10 feet from the battery you need to calculate for 20 feet. 10% voltage drop would be fine, but I prefer to over engineer and go four 3% to 5% voltage drop max.