• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Electric offroad capable truck/SUV

2010H3TAlpha

Electric in a truck opens up so many new possibilities. Extended ground clearance, no need for portals, clean/clear undercarriage, plus cleaner for the environment you're driving through. Battery tech isn't advanced enough to truly support electric offroading/overlanding, but it will be soon enough. I just know I'll miss the V8 rumble, but the extra performance will be worth it.

JPaul

Electric in a truck opens up so many new possibilities. Extended ground clearance, no need for portals, clean/clear undercarriage, plus cleaner for the environment you're driving through. Battery tech isn't advanced enough to truly support electric offroading/overlanding, but it will be soon enough. I just know I'll miss the V8 rumble, but the extra performance will be worth it.

Yeah, not easy to "refuel" unless you lug around a bunch of solar panels (but hey, it can pull 10K pounds). But it does have a 1 meter (3.28 feet!!) fording depth! I'm guessing it's "only" a meter because after that it probably starts floating and turns into a boat, or because then your windshield is covered and you can't see where you're going.

skeptic

Bollinger has been working on their electric SUV for a few years now, and apparently have added a truck prototype. As I understand it, their original plan was to design a prototype it then either license the manufacturing rights (ie just collect royalties) or partner with someone. Sounds like that didn't happen so they are going into production themselves. Actual production scheduled to begin in 2020.

Those Rivian vehicles look even better - Bollinger better step up their game quick.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
With 180kw battery u looking at $150+K truck
And I can guaranty it won’t do 400+ mil on one charge.
(Personal experience with electric vehicles for last 2 years)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamRod

With 180kw battery u looking at $150+K truck
And I can guaranty it won’t do 400+ mil on one charge.
(Personal experience with electric vehicles for last 2 years)

As for your battery capacity comment- you can’t be looking in the rear view mirror to say where this technology is headed.

Do you really think that the electric cars/trucks of tomorrow will be using 2 year old battery technology?

There are guys already taking cars and going more then 600miles with them.... and these are the DIYer type!

The future will undoubtedly lead to electric vehicles, IC is about to have its jump the shark moment and with 700hp figures that these little electric cars are sporting I am 100% okay with that!

amrg

GMs new camaro has an electric variant, and the engine is apparently built to mate to a 4l80e transmission and resemble a standart LS engine and even has the same engine mounts. Meaning engine swap to electric motors is a possibility for the diy crowd.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

skeptic

As for your battery capacity comment- you can’t be looking in the rear view mirror to say where this technology is headed.

Do you really think that the electric cars/trucks of tomorrow will be using 2 year old battery technology?

There are guys already taking cars and going more then 600miles with them.... and these are the DIYer type!

The future will undoubtedly lead to electric vehicles, IC is about to have its jump the shark moment and with 700hp figures that these little electric cars are sporting I am 100% okay with that!

This. There are already some promising new battery techs that could be complete game changers in the near future. Battery tech (and theoretically super capacitors) really is the EV bottleneck. Once cheap, long range capable and quick charging batteries are readily available the industry will turn on a dime. I would be genuinely surprised if 10 years from now EVs are not cheaper than their ICE counterparts with 500+ mile ranges and charge times between a couple hours and a few minutes. Combustion engines are rapidly on the way out, they just don't know it yet.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
I have a friend with 3 month old X model (100 kw battery) he can’t get 150 miles out of one charge too.

Batteries are bigger but usable range % wise is same

U have to own electric vehicles to understand this.
There is too many nuances that u will know after u have it for few weeks

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
This. There are already some promising new battery techs that could be complete game changers in the near future. Battery tech (and theoretically super capacitors) really is the EV bottleneck. Once cheap, long range capable and quick charging batteries are readily available the industry will turn on a dime. I would be genuinely surprised if 10 years from now EVs are not cheaper than their ICE counterparts with 500+ mile ranges and charge times between a couple hours and a few minutes. Combustion engines are rapidly on the way out, they just don't know it yet.

It comes at a price, just like hi-end stuff for any vehicle.
Will it get cheaper - yes , in 5/10/15 years.

My 2 year old 90 is rated 600+ and it’s not that much

JPaul

The problem with this argument is that it's just like comparing IC vehicles. One guy can get 25 mpg but another guy with the same vehicle only gets 15 mpg. It all depends on driving style (how heavy on the pedal you are), the geographical region being driven in (hilly area is going to do worse than a flatter area), highway vs in town, and even in town can vary depending on how many traffic lights you get stuck at. Plus manufacturer mpg/range are almost always a bit generous, even after the changes made several years ago in how they were calculated.

I can theoretically get 25 mpg in my Alpha at city speeds if I don't have to keep stopping. But since my commute has terrible traffic light coordination I end up stopping at every light along the way most days, thus my actual mpg tends to be 13 mpg or so. I get better mileage on my way to work than I do going home because my work is lower in the valley than my house is, otherwise it is relatively flat. Biggest hill I climb on my commute is to go up an overpass that goes over the freeway and some railroad tracks. Plus the air is thinner up here (~4500 feet above sea level). And since I drive something that has the aerodynamics of a brick (and proportionally weighs like one) when I get over 55 mph my fuel economy drops down to about 16 to 18 depending on my speed.

With the battery driven electric cars the ambient temperature also has a major influence in range. A cold battery can't discharge as efficiently or provide as much available charge as a warm battery. A quick google search shows most electric car owners have already figured this out, they have noticed they get poorer range during colder months than during warmer months, and it's a fairly noticeable difference. I think I read somewhere that the manufacturers actually put heaters in the battery packs to keep them from at least freezing. The reason for this is if they get too cold they just stop being able to discharge or at the least there is a dramatic loss in available charge.

So just because someone you know that has a brand new, top of the line electric vehicle (an SUV I might add) and can only get 150 miles on a single charge, doesn't mean that is what everyone that owns that car actually gets (which from my search indicates, they don't, they get better in most cases), nor does it mean that the technology isn't there to get greater range. Tesla isn't the only name in the game anymore, and just because they were the leader, doesn't mean they still are or still will be in the future. And frankly I think Elon would be Ok with that.

And to the other end, just because a manufacturer claims a certain range, Tesla or otherwise, doesn't mean that's what you'll actually get. The battery tech, while certainly improving every day, is still not quite where it needs to be yet. Hydrogen is still a better option aside from cost, since you can fill it nearly as fast as filling your gas tank, and it still provides clean energy, possibly even cleaner since you're not dealing with heavy metals and such like you have to with batteries.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
That is correct, but they tell u certain things only when u pick up car.
We do leave in hills so it sucks up almost 2ce as much energy as it’s rated, no matter if u drive like grandma of floor-it at every light.

I only have seeing in Palm Springs (flat) when we used less that it’s rated for.

Long distance driving in EV is not practical at this point in time due to long (45min 80%) charge stops every 200/300mil.

I have taken it to my main office and back ~100mil one way at full charge (~285 mil)and barely made it back (5mil when I pulled in driveway) obviously I was going 70/75mph most of time.

So there is a market for EV but I don’t see it in off-road usage as we use it now. Most of time we go 80/100+ mil before getting to the trail.

I don’t think I’ll be getting another EV (other that replacing this one when wife is done with it)
Saying that I see a real savings vs her old GL witch is approximately 5k a year in maintenance and gas.

amrg

Supply and demand will eventually push researchers to create longer lasting batteries and will push manufacturers to mass produce them at a lower cost.
The market is ready for this unless oil prices drop dramatically to put things on hold

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk