• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hello from Utah

LeviHouston

Probationary Member
Hello all, I bought a 2008 H3 Alpha 2 years ago and been wheeling it ever since. All has been well until the latest breakage/upgrade. The screws for my chain tensioner/guide in the T-case came out and started getting caught in the chain and gears. Breaking links off of the chain and teeth off the gears, as you could imagine the popping noise i was getting. First I started looking in to the front diff since all the stories i have read about people breaking them from being so weak and breaking CV's left and right. I found a chipped tooth on the ring but not pieces or chunks so figured it had to be from the previous owner and someone removed the chunk. But the gears were rough and it needed to be replaced so came new gears, ARB locker, CV's, etc. Then pulling the drain plug on the tcase and the found the main issue. The 4:1 tcase was only $100 more so i figured it was a good upgrade since I had to buy one anyways. Just my luck the new tcase front output seal leaks and the new rebuilt front diff pinion seal leaks. Gotta get those fixed this week.

But I joined because I have been a long time reader and was wanting to post to ask what the new noise I have from 11mph to 20mph and only in that range and since I have replaced the tcase and had the front diff rebuilt. The sound is only on acceleration (doesnt matter light or hard). It sounds like an electric car taking off. The ring and pinion (Revolution Gear) company says it would be a constant sound if it was gears not just in between those speeds. Any thoughts? Is the 4:1 tacse louder than the 2.64:1? I haven't rode in H3 with a 4:1. I will post in the proper area, but I wanted to do the introduction page first since im new.

List of upgrades so far:

Mastercraft MXT 315/75/16
T-bar crank to 23.5"
ARB front bumper (removed the plastic fog light bezels and fabricated up some light buckets for Rigid Ind. D2 Amber fog lights)
Smittybilt 12k winch
Dual battery tray from Artec Ind. with 2 Optima yellow top 34's
2/0 Custom battery and winch cables
Gibson Single Cat-back Exhaust to make room for the compressor and tank
Viair 450C on board compressor and 2.5Gal tank w/regulator and gauges installed in the rear right cubie
Built a full length rack with a 42" light bar and 6 (2 per side/rear) D2 style LED flood lights
New 4.10 gears front and rear (rear still in box)
Front and Rear ARB air locker (rear still in box)
4:1 T-Case
Built a Bussman 5 relay /10 fuse box and custom switches from OTRATTW

Thank you
Levi